Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra kit advice

I finally got some time now to start building a kit. Interested in users feedback on kits that have a reputation for good quality builds.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Depends on what's important to you (originality, competition, or ?) and your budget.
Best advice I can give is get with a club close to you and look at a few different models.
Mostly you're going to see Factory Fives but look at a few others as well.
Larry
Old 10-07-2012, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Come to Run &Gun in 2 weeks

Dude, Texas has a big Cobra club and meets offen. The other thing is Run&Gun is in Tulsa in 2 weeks. Most manufacture cars will be there. You can ask alot of questions, take alot of pictures, maybe even get a ride in one. The other question is how much mechanical knowledge with tools to you have? Money is the last, These thing are like boats and a hole in the water if abused or raced. These cars are also killers, no safety things like ABS, Airbags, Skid controll. The wheel base is short, most have manual steering, too much power for a 2,500# car. Also think about going to a drivers school for 3 days. Last check your insurance policy. If you want to race, you are not covered by some companies. This car is nothing like any other car you have owned. This includes moptorcycles too. No trying to scare you but putting the issues up front with a cobra. This is a car you can enjoy but will bite you if played with and not respected. Good Luck with this project. Maybe see you in a couple of weeks at Hallette near Tulsa. Rick L.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:35 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
I finally got some time now to start building a kit. Interested in users feedback on kits that have a reputation for good quality builds.
Very first question that you need to answer is budget, what is your budget like?

After that we can whittle down your choices, wants, and needs based on that budget.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 10-10-2012, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     

1. Budgit? 2.your skill level? 3.working space? 4.Do you really want to build or drive? If you are commited to building, how much of the building do you want to do? All? Part? If your itching to drive, but love to tinker. You may consider buying a pre built AC. Then making changes as time & cash allow. You could be driving a really nice AC for say +/-$40K in the next 90 days or less. Take your time! & Good Luck!

PS- The FFR MKIV kit is by far their best, in looks and over all quality. A complete kit minus- engine, trans, rearend, tires/rims & paint is $20K. +300 hrs. build time est. It's a hard price to beat for a quality kit

Last edited by Silversmith; 10-10-2012 at 05:01 AM..
Old 10-10-2012, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. #505
Not Ranked     

The FFR MKIV kit is by far their best, in looks and over all quality. A complete kit minus- engine, trans, rearend, tires/rims & paint is $20K. +300 hrs. build time est. It's a hard price to beat for a quality kit[/quote]

That is about what I paid for a kit from E.R.A.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Depending on how much of the work you wanted to do you could go basic kit on the Factory Five or the "Complete kit" . It would be hard to beat the price/quality/value level of the Factory Five Mark IV kit.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Kit feedback

Dude...some good answers posted already, but here's some advice you may not have yet. You can probably buy one completed for less than it would cost you to build one. Don't think so? Check out Ebay and the various Cobra for sale sites. It's a buyer's market right now. If you'd rather do it yourself, I would suggest E.R.A., Kirkham, Unique Motorcars, Superformance, or Shelby. Some are very expensive, others not so much and they all have a good reputation. Factory Five is quite reasonable and a good value, but they only build a 427 style body, so if you're interested in the 289 you'll have to look elsewhere. This list is not all inclusive...do a few Web searches and you can find more. Please be brutally honest with yourself about your skills, as these cars are not easy to build properly, in spite of some of the claims of the kit suppliers. The devil is most certainly in the details, so plan carefully, take your time, and ask lots of questions when you see a really nice car someone else has built. Most owners are happy to share advice with you. Have fun!

289FIA, 302, toploader, Jag IRS