Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2015, 11:40 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badsho View Post
Patrick

Spoke to Peter yesterday and was very impressed with his honesty.

He flat told me if I am 6' 3" and i want comfort their car isnt for me. He didnt want to sell me out of the idea of a ERA car but he also wanted to be as forthcoming as possible. Very impressed nonetheless

Since I live South of Tampa the logical choice is backdraft. Locality and its generally considered a bigger car that will better accomodate my frame.

I plan to drive over to the east coast and sit in a few just to see how I physically fit.

EM requires 50 percent down which concerns me once I get close to building my car. Backdraft requires $5000 ....

don
Yep, he told me the same thing a decade ago. I think Peter is only about 5' 4" because when I sat in his car my chin was over the top of the windshield, well, almost. The trick, if you are over 6' 3" or so, is exactly where that extra height is (from the floor to your knees, your knees to your hips, your hips to your head, how much padding you have on your butt, and what not). They customized my build a bit for me after I flew up to be measured. But I would tend to agree that without modifications, 6' 3" would be the outermost limit. If you find yourself getting really serious about an ERA, then fly up there and have Doug measure you. He'll tell you whether or not he can build the car to make you comfy or not. I remember like it was yesterday, being up there and Peter seeing me and saying "I don't think we can do this..." and Doug saying "Yes, we can." And, btw, we did the entire deal on a handshake.
66gtk likes this.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Yep, he told me the same thing a decade ago. I think Peter is only about 5' 4" because when I sat in his car my chin was over the top of the windshield, well, almost. The trick, if you are over 6' 3" or so, is exactly where that extra height is (from the floor to your knees, your knees to your hips, your hips to your head, how much padding you have on your butt, and what not). They customized my build a bit for me after I flew up to be measured. But I would tend to agree that without modifications, 6' 3" would be the outermost limit. If you find yourself getting really serious about an ERA, then fly up there and have Doug measure you. He'll tell you whether or not he can build the car to make you comfy or not. I remember like it was yesterday, being up there and Peter seeing me and saying "I don't think we can do this..." and Doug saying "Yes, we can." And, btw, we did the entire deal on a handshake.
Patrick

That is impressive. Being in business as long as I have you dont find that too much these days.

don
Old 10-28-2015, 12:15 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Patrick

That is impressive. Being in business as long as I have you dont find that too much these days.

don
... and, Peter shipped me the car right before Christmas so I could have it over the holidays and he didn't get around to invoicing me for it until they all came back from vacation in mid-January. He said, "ehhh, I knew you were good for it."
Old 10-28-2015, 01:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 427 Top Oiler stroked to 482 by KC, Stage 2 heads, a Quikfuel and Voila, 640 hp
Not Ranked     

Go to http://www.cobracountry.com/cobrasforsale-cobras.html. There is an EM with a 427 in it for sale in Jacksonville. Jump in the car and drive up 301 and pour over the thing. I've had mine for 10 years. It was built in 1992. I won't make any claims about which car is better. It's an argument better left for the high school hot rodders to enjoy. All three of these cars are all well designed machines for what they are.

Tim

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy

Last edited by 55312; 10-28-2015 at 01:54 PM..
Old 10-28-2015, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Go see each of them and you'll know which you like best. They all are different. To me it came down to ERA and Kirkham (which by the way cost much less then vs now), but I wanted to built it myself so I went with ERA. Very happy with the choice.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I used to be 6' 2-1/2" but I guess I've shrunk a little over the years. Fitting in my ERA is no issue - far more leg room than my 66 Corvette. If I were so inclined I could still move the seat mounting back another inch to the rear bulkhead and I have the pedals moved up from the firewall quite a bit. Now getting in and out of the thing is another matter but that applies to all of these. ERA is top notch and enjoyable to deal with but they are a lot of money to have built turn key. Used ones are still pricey but can be a comparable bargain. ERA is where you go for a quality engineered car that outwardly looks dead on like an original. About the only place to go up from there is Kirkham or the Shelby continuation cars at even greater costs.

If looking nearly dead-on original is not a top priority then there are several other options for quality, nearly turn key cars and I would definately look at Unique - they have been in the Cobra business just about longer than anyone. Also, Hurricane is an excellent car - although I'm not sure what their current status is on producing completed rollers. And of course BDR and Superformance as discussed above which are all quality cars. All of these cars come with IRS except it's an option on the Hurricane.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55312 View Post
Go to http://www.cobracountry.com/cobrasforsale-cobras.html. There is an EM with a 427 in it for sale in Jacksonville. Jump in the car and drive up 301 and pour over the thing. I've had mine for 10 years. It was built in 1992. I won't make any claims about which car is better. It's an argument better left for the high school hot rodders to enjoy. All three of these cars are all well designed machines for what they are.

Tim
I did ..... and shouldnt have !!

Found a red Backdraft with a 427 untitlted that was built this year for 48000 ... If i was remotely ready I would jump on it but has gotten me to think that if within a few days I can find a car that fits my requirements but used .... why pay to build a car for 25000 more

don
Old 10-29-2015, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I did ..... and shouldnt have !!

Found a red Backdraft with a 427 untitlted that was built this year for 48000 ... If i was remotely ready I wouldn't jump on it but has gotten me to think that if within a few days I can find a car that fits my requirements but used .... why pay to build a car for 25000 more

don
Because you enjoy the headaches of building...

It's not for everyone though.
Dipping your toe in the water by buying used, is a super wise choice. IMHO.

Best wishes and post pics whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by Dimis; 10-29-2015 at 09:26 AM..
Old 10-30-2015, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Are you prepared to deal with registering and titling a NEW or untitled Cobra in your local area? If not, it's easier to buy a used one and you can test fit it as well. I am 6'2.5" and I fit fine in all the ERA's I've driven. Better than I did in a Superformance with a dropped foot box. It's all about where you put your length. I have a friend who is barely a tick over 6'0 and he can't get his legs comfortably under the dash in my ERA. He carries his height all in his long legs!! You can do things with all these cars such as bolting the seats directly to the floor, removing padding in the seat, adjusting the pedals, etc. I will also say that if you are overweight and lack flexibility, most of the Cobras will be challenging for anybody to enjoy. I also wouldn't put much faith in the roll bar helping out a taller driver, either.

If you find yourself in Minneapolis, I'd be glad to give you a test fit in my ERA.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:01 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had been following the Cobra replica manufacturers since the early 80's, and the only three that I seriously considered were ERA, KMS, and Shelby. The pedigree from Shelby really didn't matter to me, nor did an aluminum body (because I new how I wanted it painted). I was not really watching the costs too hard either, although obviously a penny saved is a penny earned. I'm sure all three could have been fitted to me. What closed the deal was the ridiculously detailed manual, supplements, and supporting literature on the build and mechanics of the ERA car -- it's almost on a par with the shop manuals from major auto manufacturers. Admittedly, it sounds stupid, but I spend an inordinate amount of time taking my toys apart and then putting them back together again and, have, since I was a little boy. So, that's what really closed the sale for me. Shelby had no manual (and still doesn't), and KMS began writing one a few years ago and then dropped it (still not complete, but better than nothing). The lack of a shop manual means nothing to a lot of the guys on here, so take it for what it's worth.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:01 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fib Fab 351W to 408, 480HP @6000 RPM
Not Ranked     

I'm looking at the same: FFR, BDR, ERA and EM. I'm 5-8 and it is such sound advice... sit in it unless it's for your a collection. My challenge is how to assess fair price from List?

I'm looking for 'used' a good 5-8, 32" sleeve body fit, 500 + HP, 1 owner (flexible) known history, build, lower mileage. Seems 90% are 100s to 1500 miles or 15k-25,000. Nothing in between.

I know Superformance is out of my budget range. I'm looking at List <$45,000 and prefer <$40k to purchase.

I see all 4 top pics in my range but I see the same 4 at much higher List. How do I know what is a fair price?

Joined my CC and on tour in AZ and CA sitting in 4 Cobras., Back in Detroit (home) next week and traveling to FL and Carolinas before creating a short list.

I sent out appraisers but unless they are Cobra knowledgeable, I learn what I would observe if I was there myself.

Best Regards,
Doug
dougtally@gmail.com
Old 09-28-2018, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had a standard EM it was OK but I am 6'1" now I have a lone star it has room to spare as I don't have the seat all the way back
Can't say how the extended version is.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:57 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And here is a good looking young, well maybe not so young, man who stands 6'4". A lot of these cars are "doable" for the taller man, but you need to do it from the beginning to make it easy. That means seats that are lowered, tilted, and bolted directly to the floor. Pedals and hydraulics that allow them to be moved forward to give more leg room, along with a 15" Moto-Lita tilted at just the right angle to free up leg space and still look good. Now, the flip side of the coin is true also. When I was up at ERA being measured for my car, I sat in one that had been set up for a "vertically challenged" buyer. I literally looked over the windshield and felt as if I was stuffed in to a carnival bumper car.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

Using the same engine what would you say the true cost of buying new is?
Old 09-29-2018, 07:25 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sadly, new turnkey CSX/KMS/ERA cars with 427/428 FEs in them have all passed the six figure mark. The wait time is also approaching the "prohibitive" mark.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 427 Top Oiler stroked to 482 by KC, Stage 2 heads, a Quikfuel and Voila, 640 hp
Not Ranked     

Looking for a turn key? Look at Unique in Alabama. I've crawled over their cars and spoke to a number of their owners and would put them on my short list.

Tim

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy

Last edited by 55312; 09-30-2018 at 05:50 AM..
Old 09-30-2018, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hi all

In talking to one of the owners just recently it seems they are doing better ... just moved into a new facility and a turn key car is about $70000

don
A little input here> Would you buy used? Cars are probably all sorted out the small glitches.

https://www.cobracountry.com/cars-fo...cobra-chastan/

NOT mine but a damm nice looking car. Good Luck

Dan

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 09-30-2018, 06:32 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue66 View Post
A little input here> Would you buy used? Cars are probably all sorted out the small glitches.
Unless you absolutely, positively have to have a car made to your individual specifications, buying used is clearly the way to go. Especially if you buy it from somebody is OCD on the maintenance, care, tweaking, and upkeep. When you find someone like that, a ten year old ten thousand mile car will actually be in better condition than the day he took delivery.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I’m 6’ and it unique
Old 09-30-2018, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

(Sorry)

I’m 6’ and I didn’t fit very well in a Unique.