Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2017, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

If not already mentioned, check out 427 Cobra Country--Ford AC Cobra replica manufacturers SUPER-SITE . Generally more -ahem- "desirable" current brands to watch for in the sub $65K price range will be ERA, Superformance, Unique and Hurricane (with IRS). These cars are all supported by current manufacturing and a community of owner/builders and documented builds - except of course Superformance which is manufactured only as a factory roller for addition of your chosen drivetrain.
They all have reasonably accurate body shapes in varying degrees and independent rear suspensions and are recognised by most as quality 'glass bodied replicas. Next step up above your stated price range would be aluminum bodied Kirkhams and fiberglass and aluminum bodied Shelby replicas.

A bit lower on the price scale, Factory 5 Racing (FFR) MK IV cars are a step up in accuracy over the previous generation FFR's and with optional IRS and a quality build, they can also be quite nice. Backdraft Racing (BDR)'s replica has a stretched-wheelbase and an "interpreted" body shape. Their product has a popular following and, like Superformance, they only build a factory finished roller ready for drivetrain installation. If independent rear suspension (IRS) is not important to you (it should be, in your price range) you can find some older non-IRS Hurricanes in this price group.

There are some older, no longer in business brands that were considered premium in their day and well preserved examples are still very much sought after today. A prime example is Contemporary Classics - considered by many to be the original "blue chip" replica - though I personally don't like the stance and body shape of the later versions after questionable modifications were made to the molds and tooling. There are several other, lesser known and rarely for sale brands that used to fetch top dollar in their day like Gentry, Hi-Tech and Premier Motorsports. Others will add to the list, but a good strategy is to browse the Cobra Country site and ask here for input on any Cobra that catches your eye.

The advice about joining your local Cobra group and getting to know the different brands up close and personal is also sound.
Good luck with your search and don't be reluctant to ask for input and advice. History verifies that here are many first-time buyer pitfalls that can and should be avoided.
66gtk likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 02-15-2017 at 07:38 AM..
Old 02-15-2017, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansax View Post
I take it the Cobra market is soft. Since posting this I've been swamped with PM's offering cars for sale. This is good for the buyer and will make my search much more interesting. I also keep track of E-Bay and notice most are re-listed again and again.
Not really. Usually more offerings between end of driving season and beginning of new season.
Big part of Cobra Country are new Hillbank offerings.
As to Ebay....well, it's Ebay, it's often an alternative universe.
Also , since you indicated an interest in a "worked 302" folks probably assumed you needed more help than usual.

Last edited by Tim7139; 02-15-2017 at 07:31 AM..
Old 02-15-2017, 10:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I take it the Cobra market is soft. Since posting this I've been swamped with PM's offering cars for sale. This is good for the buyer and will make my search much more interesting. I also keep track of E-Bay and notice most are re-listed again and again.
A few comments.

1. Re-listings on eBay are common for the majority of auctions. eBay is more of a marketing device for sellers and sales do take place off-line.

2. It's all relative. It's a specialty product, not a Honda Civic. Cobra replicas aren't for everyone. They're loud, they're hard to wash, they're gas guzzlers, they smell and they can be difficult to register in some states, like CA. We get newbies here all the time and I usually tell them upfront to just buy a Z06 Corvette. Save them time and money.

3. If you look a Cobra Country, there are many listings for the most popular brands, like Backdraft and Superformance, as well as a whole lotta dealer listings at high price points. What you don't see is many, if any in some cases, Kirkham, ERA and CSX listings. These are premium brands IMO. And $65,000 might get you an ERA, but not a Kirkham or CSX.

4. Lastly, it's also about timing. It's Winter. Sales of convertibles when the weather is bad may be slower than in Spring and Summer.

Last edited by RodKnock; 02-15-2017 at 11:52 AM..
Old 02-15-2017, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
A few comments.

1. Re-listings on eBay are common for the majority of auctions. eBay is more of a marketing device for sellers and sales do take place off-line.

2. It's all relative. It's a specialty product, not a Honda Civic. Cobra replicas aren't for everyone. They're loud, they're hard to wash, they're gas guzzlers, they smell and they can be difficult to register in some states, like CA. We get newbies here all the time and I usually tell them upfront to just buy a Z06 Corvette. Save them time and money.

3. If you look a Cobra Country, there are many listings for the most popular brands, like Backdraft and Superformance, as well as a whole lotta dealer listings at high price points. What you don't see is many, if any in some cases, Kirkham, ERA and CSX listings. These are premium brands IMO. And $65,000 might get you an ERA, but not a Kirkham or CSX.

4. Lastly, it's also about timing. It's Winter. Sales of convertibles when the weather is bad may be slower than in Spring and Summer.

Your last point is pretty important, region specific. My SPF is listed on Cobra Country, had it pretty much sold twice now. The first guy from Caly, simply couldn't grasp why a short drive was'nt a current option since I had 18" of snow that week. " like, in the road?" They're out there.
Spring is coming, however, the guys from the NE are waking up.

Last edited by Tim7139; 02-15-2017 at 01:40 PM..
Old 02-15-2017, 01:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh and one more point.

If a buyer wants a manual, and I've only ever heard of one person who desired one, then he or she has only two choices: ERA or Kirkham.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim7139 View Post
Your last point is pretty important, region specific. My SPF is listed on Cobra Country, had it pretty much sold twice now. The first guy from Caly, simply couldn't grasp why a short drive was'nt a current option since I had 18" of snow that week. " like, in the road?" They're out there.
Snow in upstate NY?? You must be kidding

Yes, it is difficult to sell a cobra in the winter here unless the person does not want a drive, which is not too smart in my humble opinion. It does happen, but I would not suggest that.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:06 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Snow? In Syracuse? Nah, you're makin' that up! No snow here in Buffalo, send him here to drive. In fact, I may drive a car to detail tomorrow.

Might take the 289 for a short drive............

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-16-2017, 03:32 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Forget Ebay these days, too many dealers hawking their cars as "the ultimate", when in fact they are far from it. In your price range, I'd be focused on ERA, SPF (Superformance), and the higher quality built Unique and Contemporary cars. These four brands are the best bang for your buck.

As for big block vs small block, that really is a personal choice, but if you are not racing, and you want a little edge to your investment (these cars are toys, not really to be viewed as investments), stick with a 427 Sideoiler, or 428 Cobra Jet powered car. For Long Island, a heater/defroster/wipers is a must (can be retrofitted) for those days where the air comes in off the bay side. A top or tonneau is a nice addition, but to be honest, in the 20+ years (and 100K+ miles of road use) of multiple Cobra ownership, I can count on one hand the times I actually used a top. If you are staying on the island, a 4spd toploader will work just fine, if you plan to take long distance trips (500+ miles at a time), then a 5spd upgrade would be suggested, that, or higher (lower numerical) gears would be suggested.

In regards to colors, rollbars, and other options, again, that is a personal choice.Take your time, as there are plenty of quality cars coming up on the market, and within your publicly posted budget, you'll find what you really want. My only further advice after posting the above, do your homework, spend the money on a pre-purchase inspection, and above all else, have fun, as to me, the search is half the fun of specialty car ownership.

Hope you find the above helpful

Bill S.

PS: The Official SAAC Forum - Index

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-16-2017, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Snow? In Syracuse? Nah, you're makin' that up! No snow here in Buffalo, send him here to drive. In fact, I may drive a car to detail tomorrow.

Might take the 289 for a short drive............
Car rests quietly in the bubble and I go skiing a couple times a week. We have snow but no hurricanes, tornados, floods, fires or mud slides.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Car rests quietly in the bubble and I go skiing a couple times a week. We have snow but no hurricanes, tornados, floods, fires or mud slides.
No dams bursting or earthquakes?
Old 02-16-2017, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
No dams bursting or earthquakes?
Well the dam has more to do with state luminaries concentrating far more on cow methane than infrastructure, because, you know, west coast droughts are forever as a result of bovine induced warming.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well the dam has more to do with state luminaries concentrating far more on cow methane than infrastructure, because, you know, west coast droughts are forever as a result of bovine induced warming.
You couldn't be for Right. (or is that Left). Moonbeam is now kissing Mr T's A$& for funds...

Sorry off topic.

Like everyone says, do your homework, enjoy the hunt.

Mark.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. It would be a weekend cruiser, no track time. I would like to stay under $65K.
Just in case the danax didn't go out and buy a Corvette, the newbie should buy this ERA:

PhotoPost Classifieds - ERA 427 Cobra. Factory Turn Key. Mint... - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Right in the sweet spot for the budget.

Not affiliated.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star, Ford 302W
Not Ranked     

Hey Dan. I just read your request which is now ~5 months old. If you're still interested in learning some more stuff, you can come over and look my Cobra over. I just finished building it a few months ago after working on it for 5 years and it's great. I'm only offering it because we (sort of) live so close -- I'm about 10 miles from the Bridgeport-Port Jefferson Ferry terminal on the CT side, so technically it's a real short drive! After the hour long ferry ride, that is. If you're interested, let me know.

Last edited by FrankR105; 07-05-2017 at 07:34 PM..