Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2018, 10:02 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Well that sounds like a damn fine plan.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well that sounds like a damn fine plan.
Hey, Mr. Flintstone, before you bless his plan, you forgot to sell him on the “benefits” a solid flat tapped cam.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:54 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Hey, Mr. Flintstone, before you bless his plan, you forgot to sell him on the “benefits” a solid flat tapped cam.
Well, I don't know anybody that has a SFT in their FE that doesn't love it. But, to each his own... kind of like my paint color.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

I can vouch for ERA. If you have the lowered seats you likely will be moving the seat forward. I am 6'2'' and about 215 and have the seat slightly forward to reach the petals. I also run a 427 FE (hydraulic cam) and love it. Ditto also what the other guys have said here. If you come to the London, Ohio show in June, I will even give you a ride.

Phil
Old 02-11-2018, 02:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well, I don't know anybody that has a SFT in their FE that doesn't love it. But, to each his own... kind of like my paint color.
“Patrick, part of one, Patrick, party of one.”
Old 02-11-2018, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 796 / ERAFIA 2043
Not Ranked     
Default Era

I’m in Nazareth and would be happy to let you check out my ERA. I sent you a PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #829, Ford 427
Not Ranked     

Thanks, got your PM
Old 02-12-2018, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Spoke with Peter today. It is official and I am on the list to get an ERA 427. I will be sending him my list of options I believe I want now and he said expect to change things as the project evolves! Haha... it will be a roller chassis and to what level is what I am working on... Drivetrain will be done elsewhere as will the paint job.

Rob
Old 02-12-2018, 02:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Very good. Have you thought about your engine builder?
Old 02-12-2018, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Been kicking it around, some guys have given me suggestions and any thoughts are welcome. Been reading a lot of the stories here about build ups and experiences. It is a big dollars commitment so going slow. Looking to have a nice street engine running on pump gas and I will never see the track.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mailed off my deposit check and wish list to Peter so looking forward to reviewing things with him over the many months to get things where I want them. Lined up my painter locally that I have used for years and his specialty for years was Vettes. Working with Brent to figure out a good drivetrain for the future ride.

Now the waiting begins.... I am getting a roller and will take care of the rest. Time to start putting “x”s on my calendar.

Rob
Old 02-17-2018, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Patrickt usually gives people the "Cobra is not for you look at a Corvette" talk. I guess if you start out looking at ERA it is obvious that you are a perfect fit.

I was going to suggest looking at used cars, but I'm too late to the party. No doubt an ERA is a good choice. If you stick it out, you will be rewarded.

My only criticism of ERA is that they talk so much on originality (read trash their competition) then say their rectangular frame tubing don't count. I find that a bit hypocritical, but what salesman isn't. They have a great frame. It's just not round tube like an original. Most aren't. Oh well.

I have seen several ERA set up with the mechanical throttle linkage like 1960's cars had, and I expect that was original. I always accepted that as fact, but never verified it. Even though this is original it is unsafe in my opinion. Fine for a trailer queen going to shows, but not safe on the road.

When motor mounts break and during crashes these mechanical linkages often pulled the throttle wide open. With the power these cars tend to have it makes them even more deadly. Consider going with a cable system. It could save you.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was looking over some original Cobra 427 photos and some have oil puke tanks installed, any thoughts on that does anyone with an ERA have one installed? From what I see on the ERA replica photos is looks like there would be some issues since there is a wiring harness there in addition to some other stuff. I did read some of the posts hear about them but was looking for ERA owners input.

I think I am going to but the bullet and use Avon tires. Asking adjustments to my want list ... it never ends until the build starts. Haha
Old 02-19-2018, 08:00 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There's room for a puke tank, if that's what you like to see. You might also be thinking about whether you want a PCV system, do you want a Turkey Pan, etc. I have my oil/air separator plumbed in directly behind my TP sitting on top of the opening for the breather that is on the back of the intake manifold. Having a PCV system has a couple of benefits for street driven cars. You can do anything you want, just try and decide what it is up front, as that makes it easier.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Congratulations - you made a great decision. Regarding tires, you will likely expire them in months vs wearing out the tread. Don't make the mistake of ordering your tires too early and having them sit on your roller for years before the car is completed. You can also plan a trip to ERA when the time is right for a custom in the seat fitment. I would ask Peter about that. Enjoy this process!
1795 likes this.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I concur with Troy,do not buy the tires too early. You do not want to have them get old sitting in the garage. If you do go with the Avons, check with them regarding winter storage. If they are anything like my Hoosier race tires, freezing temperatures are not good for the tires. I store mine in the basement prior to freezing temps.
Pete Munroe likes this.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:34 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, you want a 427 FE that is also "a nice street engine running on pump gas and ... will never see the track." Any of the regular builders around here can put together that engine and it will have well over 500 horsepower. They will dyno it, check for leaks, listen for any unusual sounds or vibrations, and then pronounce it complete and ship it off to you. They will be fixated on the HP/TQ numbers and, to them, the higher the better. Getting that engine to have some manners, after you've come off a hard highway run, and you're now sitting at stoplights and crawling through traffic, with under hood temperatures of 200+ degrees, will be tricky. It can be done, but it will take both foresight in the build and tuning finesse, and both of those tasks will fall on you.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree, I know the tires but I am not buying them until I need them and agree I will getting read of them because of age issues. Happens all the time here since I never get enough time to enjoy things.

Thanks for the picture Patrick. I will be using a TP, pentroof valve covers, sidewinder manifold, medium riser heads, etc. so a tad old school. Once I have more of my build ideas solidified, I will post more of the info.... once I get a chassis #, I will create a cobra build for guys to enjoy my pain and suffering while it comes to life.

Rob
Old 02-21-2018, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My care package from ERA arrived today, can't wait to get home tonight from work. I guess it will be almost time to switch this conversation over to the build section. ha!

Rob
Old 02-21-2018, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I received my receipt and manual today. The waiting begins. Looking over the assembly manual now while sitting in the dark with no power. Reminds me of how excited I got when another toy arrived. Went outside time test it out and out of no where a skunk pops out and sprayed me. Must be another sign of good luck