Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2018, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 418
Not Ranked     
Default Engine size?

I'm planning on putting a Cobra in my garage and have been looking at many possibilities. A lot of questions have been answered just by reading all the great threads on this Forum. Many thanks however, I still have several unanswered questions one being about engine size. Maybe a hard one to address without knowing "my" particular driving habits. I like speed and power so.... should I be looking only at 427's and or punched out 351's or do the 302's provide enough power and performance?
Old 03-05-2018, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #509, 347 S
Not Ranked     

Living in S. Texas... where the summers are brutally hot and almost impossible to cruise a roadster in... I allowed the stories of big block heat to persuade me to go small block (347 Stroker) thinking I would save on a little heat. It didn't work out as planned... and it's the one mistake I regret. The Stroker has the power... more than enough for a 2200 pound car... but it doesn't have that same big block exhaust burble at idle.

I love my car... but if I had to do it all over again... I'd go big block. In fact... I still entertain thoughts of dropping a big block into it at some time in the future. Just my 2 cents.

Those S. Texas summers? I kept a '72 Corvette w/ A/C for cruising that time of year BUT... am giving serious thought to selling it... and will learn to adapt summer cruises in the Cobra to early morning and early evening.
Alfa02 and Rail1 like this.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2001 B&B cobra
Not Ranked     

I have a Windsor based Dart iron eagle sportsman block with the bottom end to match. At 525HP, how much HP do you need in a 2200LBS car? It's scary fast!
Old 03-05-2018, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

By saying you like speed and power, it sounds like a big block is what you're after. For me, the key words were fun, reliable and authentic. So my 289 has a small block and I love it. Depends on what's most important to you personally.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a 408 Windsor in my Coupe and it has more than enough power and I could get a lot more just by changing the exhaust and upping the size of the injectors and fuel pressure. I also have a big block, 428SCJ punched out to 440 and I really like the 408 better. I have raced both types on road courses and I would go with the stroker.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-05-2018, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront49 View Post
I'm planning on putting a Cobra in my garage and have been looking at many possibilities. A lot of questions have been answered just by reading all the great threads on this Forum. Many thanks however, I still have several unanswered questions one being about engine size. Maybe a hard one to address without knowing "my" particular driving habits. I like speed and power so.... should I be looking only at 427's and or punched out 351's or do the 302's provide enough power and performance?
IMO, a SBF belongs in a Daytona Coupe, slabside (Mk I or Mk II), FIA or USRRC replica, an FE goes in a 427 S/C or coil spring (Mk III) replica.

Just my $0.02.
Pete Munroe and Alfa02 like this.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:08 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Just my $.02 also, I agree with Brian (cycleguy55) there's nothing like seeing a big block in S/C or Mk III. (if you go that route) We're just opposite up here in the PNW, we need the heat of a big block . I believe you can get "enough HP" out of any engine now-a-days with our cars that weigh 2200-2600 LBS. (BDR Boy), is right. There is nothing else like the sound of a big block idling in, a car show, vintage race pits, etc. But Cobra's turn head's no matter what's under the hood Tom.
BDR_Boy likes this.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
Just my $.02 also, I agree with Brian (cycleguy55) there's nothing like seeing a big block in S/C or Mk III. (if you go that route) We're just opposite up here in the PNW, we need the heat of a big block . I believe you can get "enough HP" out of any engine now-a-days with our cars that weigh 2200-2600 LBS. (BDR Boy), is right. There is nothing else like the sound of a big block idling in, a car show, vintage race pits, etc. But Cobra's turn head's no matter what's under the hood Tom.
You can get a 460 CID SBF, or you can run a 352 CID FE. Displacement is only part of it. FEs are still available in the junk yard, though obviously getting harder to find. Take your basic FE block, add a stroker kit and that gets you in the range of 445 CID. With that displacement you can easily get 500 HP in something you can live with on the street. You can also get 500 HP out of a 347 CID small block, but that filly is likely going to be a bit high strung.

Remember - there is no replacement for displacement. OTOH, a turbo, supercharger or nitrous can do wonders. LOL
Old 03-05-2018, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 418
Not Ranked     

thanks for all the good info guy's...
Old 03-05-2018, 03:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

For me the 289 is perfect!
Old 03-05-2018, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

I don't ever recall anyone with two or three pounds per HP complain about a compelling need for more power — on the street. I would decide on how much power I wanted / needed and then build for that, with whatever components were necessary.

Be careful about what you ask for / build. The real world experience can be substantially more exciting than the paper you sketched it out on.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

for me, its how the engine revs.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile they are all great

I had a small block with over 400 hp/tq to the rear wheels. It was fast.

I drove a 408 with 530/535 hp/tq to the flywheel. Sounded good and was fast but my small was faster.

I have a couple of buddies with 427-482 FE with 620 flywheel hp and 640 tq. They are fast and sound great.

I'll see if I can post some videos.

turn up the speakers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuOXzUNRB5A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VxLB5kjF18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txBXSZ8sph0

and one on my break in stand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oeB5qNQVYA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVHeGjPwU7s

Last edited by Dwight; 03-05-2018 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: add videos
Old 03-05-2018, 05:36 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I don't even drive my car that hard anymore, I'm just getting too old... but, regardless of how I drive it, the sound of a big block FE, with a solid flat tappet cam, will be there forever -- even when I'm 100.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Power Performance, 64 427FE Top Oiler
Not Ranked     

ront49,

Definitely go with a big block FE. And x2 what Patrick said, solid flat tappet cam. You will not find a more bad ass sounding motor.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 427 FE
Not Ranked     

I really appreciate my big FE. Lots of power. The low end torque is like the hand of God even under mild acceleration.
But... The price of admission is up there. And it is thirsty.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Big Block Sound......nuff sed
Old 03-07-2018, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 605 C.I. Pump Gas
Not Ranked     

605 c.i.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront49 View Post
punched out 427 is great 460 block to dam big don"like . 302 don"t buy a cobra. 427 side oiler holy grale. Just my opinion do what makes you happy.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had an ultra-fast 496cui in my 20s, now 30 years later I will choose a 390/427 FE (with rear exhaust)