Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2021, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Era #634
Not Ranked     
Default A little advise needed

Hi guys and gals. I am new to this forum (1st post) I hope it’s in the right place! Guys I am kicking around purchasing a Superformance. I am 5ft 7in and 255lbs. I am loosing weight but have a ways to go! My buddy has an ERA, I tried sitting in it the other day with the seat all the way back and the wheel is very close to my knees. Also the space under the wheel to the seat is pretty close. I can get my leg through but once your in I would not feel comfortable driving it. The pedal box is insanely tight as well. Size 10 1/2 sneaker. I currently have a 96 Viper and that’s spacious compared to his ERA. Is the Superformance larger or the same as the ERA? I know of the Backdraft cars but I want a BB car. I know some guys change the wheel to a smaller Dia or even install a removable wheel. Advise? And thx for any help you can offer me. O and the Superformance car is 2 1/2 hours from me that’s why I haven’t sit in that car yet. Maybe this weekend. Thx again.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF832, 466cid
Not Ranked     

I would first go visit that car and then come back with your same or newly formed insights or questions.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

I had to do some adjusting for a comfortable position. I moved the seat mounts up to get better visibility. Also put in a spacer under the wheel and modified the pedals to make room to hit one pedal at a time. I also adjusted the width of the front of the shoe by grinding them off. ]

There is a lot more room in the VSE cobra than my Formula ford!
Old 07-22-2021, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys before I go 2 1/2 hrs each way to look (and be leaving in 10 min) my basic question is are there any known differences in the seating position between a Superformance and ERA. Or are they both close to original spec. This question includes the pedal box area.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:20 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalmeida617 View Post
Guys before I go 2 1/2 hrs each way to look (and be leaving in 10 min) my basic question is are there any known differences in the seating position between a Superformance and ERA. Or are they both close to original spec. This question includes the pedal box area.
Go here: 427 Frequently Asked Questions and go three quarters down on the page until you see a picture of me driving away. I've got nine inches on you and my ERA fits me like a glove. BUT, you have to know what to tweak and how to tweak it. Not to mention my 12EEE feet.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

ERAs newer than about 735 have noticeably larger foot boxes than the early cars.

I am 5'11" 190 pounds and fit with plenty of room.

John
Old 07-22-2021, 05:45 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
ERAs newer than about 735 have noticeably larger foot boxes than the early cars.
That's 731 and above to be exact.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

I am 5'11 205 with a size 10 shoe. It took a little getting use to the closeness of the peddles in my Backdraft but now I don't even notice it. Pedal and pedal box modifications can be done if really needed. I went with a 1 inch smaller diameter wheel for a tad bit more room.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk3, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

When I was 250 lbs, I fit my superformance fine (6' 2.5")
Now that I'm under 220lbs, I fit even better, but I slide around a bit more ��

I could only drive my old factory five with wrestling shoes because of the pedal spacing. I can wear any shoes now aside from wide slippers to drive (size 11 shoe).

-Dave
Old 07-23-2021, 07:27 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lalmeida617 -- to make your car fit you perfectly, you will be adjusting four points of contact to your body. 1) Your butt distance from the the floor. This is adjusted by how much padding you have in the seat and whether there is a seat track or whether you bolt the seat directly to the floor; 2) Your seat distance and angle. Obviously you can move the seat forward and back, but tilting the front up or down a smidge can make a surprising difference while being virtually unnoticeable from outside the car; 3) The size and tilt of the steering column and steering wheel; 4) The distance of the pedals both fore and aft along with horizontal spacing. By far, the most difficult change to an existing car would be the pedals, as it will require re-crafting them for the spread, either through spacers or bending (I'm thinking ERA). ERA's pedals come up through the floor, so I know exactly what to do with them, but I have never stuck my head up under the dash of a Superformance car to see how the pedals are fastened on those cars and how you would fix them to your liking. Moving the pedals fore and aft is easier than spreading them. For me, because I am tall (6'4" with 12EEE feet) my configuration required a special clutch master cylinder with additional volume. That's not a big deal at all. If you got in my car and tried to take her around the block, chances are you would have difficulty even reaching the pedals and you would be sitting too low. When I was up at ERA 15+ years ago and sitting in some of the cars that were under construction, there was one that I remember where I literally looked over the windshield, my knees hit the steering wheel, and it generally felt like one of those toy cars you buy a toddler to drive around in the back yard. I remember thinking "you got to be kidding me." Then I sat in an identical car that had no seat in it at all and I could barely see over the cowl and I had to stretch to touch the pedals. That tells you what you are working with. You can make these cars fit you unless you are a real outlier on height and weight -- you just have to throw a little time and money at it.
Buzz likes this.

Last edited by patrickt; 07-23-2021 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-23-2021, 07:28 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

... and a pic of my pedal spacing.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

The first thing to remember about a Cobra is that you do not really sit in one, you wear it.

Do not buy a Cobra unless you sit in THE CAR YOU'RE BUYING. The rule can be relaxed a little by trying on cars of the same manufacturer, but even then there are changes, e.g., Superformance has gone through several generations and they are different in the foot box and importantly, steering wheel angle.

I found that the steering wheel on the SPF cars hit my lap yet Shelby CSX was plenty of room. You don't want to buy a car on ebay and then find out you can't wear it.

If you're looking at a real home built kit you have to do that car.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Not sure you can judge a car to another car so the Viper is irrelevant.
I am of similar size as you with a foot a size larger, Cobras are not spoacious vehicles.
SPF might lend a slight bit more room as pedals mount from the top versus floor. Floor monted is a tight deal but not that bad, I drive my gold car (floor pedals) with work shoes which are cumbersome but it works.
Cobras are meant to be light and fast not a GT car by any means.
Just buy the car if you like it, you will figure it out.
Most cars have a steering loop that can be adjusted, not sure about SPF, this means its possible to raise the wheel a bit. Comes STD in the AC MKIV, HiTech and CSX.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:21 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hi guys and gals. I am new to this forum (1st post) I hope it’s in the right place! Guys I am kicking around purchasing a Superformance. I am 5ft 7in and 255lbs. I am loosing weight but have a ways to go! My buddy has an ERA, I tried sitting in it the other day with the seat all the way back and the wheel is very close to my knees. Also the space under the wheel to the seat is pretty close. I can get my leg through but once your in I would not feel comfortable driving it. The pedal box is insanely tight as well. Size 10 1/2 sneaker. I currently have a 96 Viper and that’s spacious compared to his ERA. Is the Superformance larger or the same as the ERA? I know of the Backdraft cars but I want a BB car. I know some guys change the wheel to a smaller Dia or even install a removable wheel. Advise? And thx for any help you can offer me. O and the Superformance car is 2 1/2 hours from me that’s why I haven’t sit in that car yet. Maybe this weekend. Thx again.
We can fit a BB in a Backdraft without issue. And you can fit in the car, now
Old 07-23-2021, 08:38 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
The first thing to remember about a Cobra is that you do not really sit in one, you wear it.
That's really a perfect analogy. None of my four points listed above are adjustable on my car by the driver. My seats, steering and pedals are all shimmed to my specifications and then locked down. Not that they can't be changed, just that you can't reach down and scoot anything or pull a lever and change the orientation of anything. But on the positive side, I know that even if someone else has been sitting in my car, nothing ever changes because it can't.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys thanks for your advise. I did not realize there were some adjustment points. This car is as stated a Superformance built in 2001. The salesman said it does have a drop in the floor near the peddles. I don’t know if it has the ability to remove the seat track and bolt it to the floor. Looking at the chart of Superformance changes over the years it does not state what year the 300 series started. This car has a black roll bar (chrome was standard after a certain year) So it’s a little older. I am going tomorrow afternoon to sit in it. Thx again. I will keep you guys posted.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone star 351w /408cu.in.
Not Ranked     

I like my lonestar if nothing else for the room. I have big feet 12,s, and am 6’3” 220. Plenty of room, and my head isn’t above the windshield. It’s practically comfortable. The tilt wheel is kinda nice too. Each car is different. Try it.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF832, 466cid
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Guys thanks for your advise. I did not realize there were some adjustment points. This car is as stated a Superformance built in 2001. The salesman said it does have a drop in the floor near the peddles. I don’t know if it has the ability to remove the seat track and bolt it to the floor. Looking at the chart of Superformance changes over the years it does not state what year the 300 series started. This car has a black roll bar (chrome was standard after a certain year) So it’s a little older. I am going tomorrow afternoon to sit in it. Thx again. I will keep you guys posted.
What's the last THREE digits of the chassis number? It does not sound like it is of the 700 series by your description BUT it would be if it were built in 2001.....so something does not sound right. FYI, I have 832 and the MSO says mid 2000.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nrotoxin 983
Old 07-24-2021, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok guys few more questions. I fit in the car great. A few things I noticed on this car there was some spider cracking on the trunk maybe someone sat on it? The car very easily came out of second gear, maybe the shift boot? Thoughts? Engine is Southern Automotive any good? The turkey pans corners where the cables and fuel lines went through looked like it was done with a cutoff wheel and grinder is this normal of Southern? Turn signal was very touchy the wheel had to be in just the right spot to activate them. Both valve covers leak oil no biggie. The 427 badges on the pass valve cover was worn off near the filler cap normal for 1800mi? The pedals were loose, (the part you put your foot on was floppy) is this normal? Pipes needed a repaint but I think that’s kind of common maintenance on these? The radiator tank had a small leak in the corner developing easy fix. Coolant gauge never went over 80? That was strange. The car ran good no sign of overheating or anything. When you turn the fan switch on all the gauges surge and go right back, is this normal? Also the reverse speedo had a slight needle bounce normal? Lastly it had several diff keys one for the glovebox another ignition another trunk. Normal? Thx again for your time. I know my Vipers but I’m starting over learning these Cobras.

Last edited by Lalmeida617; 07-25-2021 at 03:32 AM..