Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2022, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA, 347 CI
Not Ranked     
Default Potential New Owner, waited. 17Years (UPDATE)

Well,

Based on some advice I got on this site and a couple conversations on the phone, I went down to Unique Motorcars in Alabama and visited the Weavers a few weeks ago and I am glad I did. Unfortunately I was not able to attend their homecoming this last weekend.

Anyway, I decided on a 289 FIA body but will be doing a "street" version more British Sport look than race car.... ...no racing stripe (sorry to the purists out there). I don't race cars and will be driving it quite a bit. Hope it will look less like I'm having a mid-life crisis. I am keeping the roll bar however as I'm only getting older and will.assist in sliding in and out of the seat and keep the occasional passenger from trying to rip the windshield out of the car.

Susan Parham is a delight to deal with and will be providing the 289 based power plant. I gave both Unique Motorcars and Southern Automotive deposits and I've been officially "pregnant" for about a month now. Excited, happy, and glad to be spending $$ on something I want while it's still worth something.

Getting a set of wire Daytons made now. Supply Chain thing is ridiculous and getting worse. Seems a lot like what I remember of the 70's.

Can't stop looking at paint colors on the road now.....Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the advice/help/ability to lurk. Now I gotta find out where I can rent a car hauler to bring it home to finish it up.

Jakal
RAZOR, 1985 CCX, Sargie and 7 others like this.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:09 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Congrats on finally pulling the trigger There will never be a day where you will regret owning a Cobra. SPM (Smiles Per Miles) are Guaranteed. You may want to rethink the wire wheel option, as 289FIA Cobras had (Trigo wheels) not wires. A widen Wire Wheel (15X7 Front, 15X8 Rear) to fill the FIA fenders, could be very costly. 15x6 wires (Stock Mk.2 289 street) would not fit the flared fender look of 289 FIA. Food for thought, Cheers Tom.
Old 05-16-2022, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Welcome Jakal, and congrats from me as well.
I agree with Tom (Alfa02) regarding the wheels. FIA wheels, 15x7.5 front and 15x9.5 rear, are the way to go. They are stronger than wires, and are appropriate for an FIA bodied Cobra build.
No stripe? Excellent choice. A Cobra doesn't need a stripe (as well) to say "look at me"
You are in the right place here at Club Cobra for information. Just ask, and you will get suggestions/opinions/information.

Cheers,
Glen
Alfa02 likes this.

Last edited by xb-60; 05-16-2022 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: edit
Old 05-16-2022, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

tried to include photo but it didn't work

Last edited by Laughing_Jakal; 05-16-2022 at 09:34 PM..
Old 05-16-2022, 10:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here's an ERA FIA with wire wheels, looks really good! Cheers, Dennis
Seagull81 likes this.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Personal opinion here....if you want wires and a luggage rack, you should have a 289 roadster (aka that unpleasant term - "slabside"), not an FIA289

Cheers!
Glen
Kthulu likes this.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Nice choice, Jakal...

Obviously, I'm prejudiced, but Dayton wires, luggage rack, undercar exhaust, and drop center street dash work just fine on the Unique 289. Daytons are far, far stronger than any wire wheel from the 60s, allow tubeless tires, and are good & true - your 289 won't stress them (my car is running 325 hp at the flywheel on a 351W).

(FYI - I'm not a site newbie; I used to post years ago as JeepSnake, but for the life of me I couldn't get that account to reactivate. Which I guess is just as well, since all the Jeeps are long gone...)

Zach
Unique 289
Attached Images

Buzz, xb-60, spdbrake and 2 others like this.

Last edited by 289cobracat; 05-17-2022 at 08:06 AM..
Old 05-17-2022, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=289cobracat;1506438]Obviously, I'm prejudiced, but Dayton wires, luggage rack, undercar exhaust, and drop center street dash work just fine on the Unique 289. Daytons are far, far stronger than any wire wheel from the 60s, allow tubeless tires, and are good & true - your 289 won't stress them (my car is running 325 hp at the flywheel on a 351W). /QUOTE]

Really a nice looking car. Very clean lines and not in your face. I think the colored (powder coated?) wheels are a perfect complement.

Last edited by spdbrake; 05-17-2022 at 08:37 AM..
Old 05-17-2022, 09:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Jakal,

Welcome to Club Cobra and congrats on selecting Unique Motorcars to build you a 289 FIA, they have an excellent reputation.

I had ERA build me a 289 FIA in sort of a 'street' trim and I would imagine that Weavers can customize your Cobra in just the way you want it. I went with the ERA 289 FIA, but with no hood or oil cooler scoops and no trunk bumps, the FIA dash, a grille and quick jacks. If you are interested, details are in my build thread.

ERA 2136 Build Log

Lots of great advice in the comments above and it sounds like you have a good idea of what you want to build. I would encourage you to continue to look at what others have done, to help you decide what features you want and just as important, what features you don't want.

When you really get into the nitty gritty of all the decisions you need to make for your build, it can be a bit overwhelming. Take your time, ask questions and even solicit opinions & suggestions, but in the end it’s your car and build the Cobra of your dreams. As the others have noted, when it’s all said and done, you will be so happy with your Cobra, there is nothing else quite like it.

Last but not least, one of the hardest decisions will be color but fortunately that just about one of the last decisions you will need to make, so you have time to ponder.

Have Fun!

- Tim
Buzz, xb-60, Alfa02 and 1 others like this.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Rock solid advice and wisdom from the people who posted above. All I can add is that you will never go wrong dealing with stellar and stand-up people like Susan Parham ( Southern Automotive) and the Weavers (Unique Motorcars).

In a business that has attracted its fair share of shady opportunists who prey on people's dreams, they and others (including top tier replica manufacturers and engine builders) who maintain a level of integrity and humanity stand out like lighthouses in a storm of scammers and well-intentioned but ill-equipped entrepreneurs who jumped on the Cobra replica bandwagon
Alfa02 and Harpoon PV2 like this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 05-17-2022, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, what a nice car! You even have the correct AMCO 356 Porsche luggage rack! Plus a cigarette lighter, and is that an Austin Healey ash tray? You have me rethinking my build. Again WOW!
Old 05-17-2022, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am reminded of how hard it was for Alan Mann to get rid of the Daytona's and some of the FIA cars. If he could have done what you did, it might have been easier! A really nice car you have there!
Old 05-20-2022, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 445 FE stroker
Not Ranked     

Good on you Jakal, I too ordered a Unique and can't wait to get it delivered. You have come to the right place for advice and information, theirs a wealth of knowledge and experience here. Hope this ridiculous supply chain issue doesn't cause too many delays. Keep us posted on the progress.

Rex
Old 05-20-2022, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

You'll love this car. especially with the dropped floor box for the driver. I have a very early FIA car "#6"and it's a little cramped down there.

I once sat in a later car and could probably drive it with my wife in my lap.

I've thought about going "gentleman's car" with mine but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Mine has 7? holes to fill? Full race cage in a former race car.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2045, FFR 4068 Coupe sold, FFR 1816 roadster sold, FFR 3218 Roadster sold
Not Ranked     

Congratulations you’ll enjoy that car more than you can imagine. I’m an FIA race style 289 owner. I settled on an ERA. The Unique is a beautiful well built car. I recently saw the green ERA slab side in Harpoons post in it’s owners shop. Gorgeous car although I prefer the style of the FIA / USRRC body. Welcome and enjoy every second of anticipation and ownership.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 05-21-2022, 11:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up You are correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoon PV2 View Post
Wow, what a nice car! You even have the correct AMCO 356 Porsche luggage rack! Plus a cigarette lighter, and is that an Austin Healey ash tray? You have me rethinking my build. Again WOW!
Congrats Jackal! You won't be sorry. Welcome to the madness!

Zach's car is even nicer in person! It is a spectacular creation, and a well executed product of his personal vision of a street version of muscle! There are several more great photos of it over on the Uniquecobra site... look under the thread heading Unique sightings.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear

Last edited by PDUB; 05-22-2022 at 12:14 AM..
Old 06-01-2022, 03:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks all! I've been out of pocket for a while training on a new aircraft. Nice surprise to see all the replies when I logged back in. I am truly excited.......
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoon PV2 View Post
Here's an ERA FIA with wire wheels, looks really good! Cheers, Dennis
I love that color! I may have to steal that.......color code? I also need the luggage rack!
Old 06-02-2022, 11:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Zach's Unique 289 has the correct luggage rack, AMCO made to fit a Porsche 356, they come up for sale occasionally. Not sure what the color code is, ERA might tell you? Cheers, Dennis
Old 12-08-2022, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Weavers have broken ground on the car and I am picking out little details like air cleaners and valve covers.....Torn between Viking Blue and BRG at the moment....will need to make a decision prettier soon. Gonna have them paint it!