Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-06-2009, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, Ford 420 Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Hi from Cary, NC.

Hi, I'm Patrick and just joined the forum.

Think I got the wife on board this weekend to get the car I have wanted since I was about 16. I have found forums like this to be very helpful for my other vehicles, and I'm sure this one is no exception. I have read a few posts, but was hoping that you guys could give me the quick "Cliff Notes" on what to avoid/look for when buying a Cobra. I will use this car to drive to work once a week or so (15 miles), and occasionally on the weekend. I do not plan to race it, etc. Here is what I am considering:

1) Either a Superformance or Backdraft chassis (or maybe Factory Five)
2) 351 Windsor (or possibly a 302)
3) thinking I would like A/C, but not sure how well that works on these cars
4) of course 17" wheels, and side pipes
5) want a manual (of course), but don't know anything about TREMEC T-5 vs. T-56, etc.
6) would like a top (not sure about a hard top)

I don't even know what I don't know. I'm hoping to have a budget of around $35-$45K. I'm fine with buying used with low miles. I also live in the Raleigh NC area in case there is any dealer or cars I should be looking at around here. ANY advice you can give would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: kirkham stroker 48 webers
Not Ranked     

Try to find a used ERA. Take a look at cobracountry.com There are alot of used cobras out there for sale.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

there are a couple of nice ERAs on cobraregistry.com - a little outside of your price range but who knows.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 351w stroked 396
Not Ranked     

Patrick ,

Take a look at Unique Motorcars in Gadsen , Alabama .They have a web site and a forum as well . Unique Motorcars .com .They have been building these cars since 1977 so they do build a very good car . You can buy at about any stage of build you would like from doing it all yourself to a turn key car .

I have a Unique my self . The fit and finish are very , very good and the service after the sale is way above anything I have experienced before .

I love mine . I do not race either and have fited a 351 bored and stroked to 408 . AFR intake . Full roller motor etc . etc .

I installed an AOD automatic in my car so my wife could drive it to .

We spend alot of time driving it on the week ends in the Blue Ridge Mountians and love the time spent together with the car .

I live around Greenville S.C. so If you are ever in the area drop me a line on this forum .

Rick Findley
Old 07-07-2009, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry guys . . .. I actually am mechanically inclined, but don't have a clue around some of the Cobra lingo . . .. . ERA? I'll do a search on it.

Last edited by Cobra#1; 07-07-2009 at 03:35 AM.. Reason: wanted to finish thought.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default ERA . . .. got it . .

ERA
ERA Cobra replicas were very high quality kits that set the standards for the industry. They were more detailed and authentic than most Cobra replicas, which resulted in a higher price than most of their competitors. Their Cobra chassis were made from rectangular tube with X-bracing for strength. The front end used fabricated arms with modified Camaro spindles and coil-over shocks. A Jaguar IRS was used in back. ERA replicated the 427 S /C and 289 FIA/USRRC racing Cobras. This New Britain, Connecticut Company later added similarly authentic clones of the Ford GT -40 Mk. I and Mk. II. The chassis were very detailed, with a stainless steel monocoque and fabricated suspension. The Mk. I used a 302" Ford, while the Mk. II had a 427 driving through a Z-F transaxle. It had cast-alloy hub carriers, coil-over shocks and wishbone ~ rear suspension. The kit sold for $49,900 in 1998. In 1998 ERA bought a Corvette Grand Sport replica project from D & D Manufacturing.
Address : 608-612 E. Nmain Street New Britain CT
Phone : 8602297980
Founded :
Cars Produced :
Last Updated :
View this manufacturers vehicles.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Rick, I will check out Unique Motorcars. I may drop you a line sometime to take a look at your car if I'm headed south.

Patrick
Old 07-07-2009, 05:59 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Welcome to this site, the best resource for information on a variety of makes (and there are many). Look around and try and absorb what you can. You will quickly realize that 99.9% of the time whatever someone owns is the best until they sell it and either continue to praise it or let the truth be known.

Your budget is just out of reach for a new Backdraft with all the options on your wish list and certainly out of touch for a new SPF. Used would be another story. I can tell you from firsthand experience that A/C is a bear to install and to do it attractively or cost effectively. And really would have no benefit without a top of sorts.

If you can spend sometime browsing here you should be able to hone your needs and determine what fits your needs and budget. I am working on a couple summer special packages that would meet your budget on a new BDR, minus the Air Conditioning of course.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:39 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

I'm at the higher end of your budget range, but I would consider 45K for the ERA Cobra listed in my signature.

Bill S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra#1 View Post
Hi, I'm Patrick and just joined the forum.

Think I got the wife on board this weekend to get the car I have wanted since I was about 16. I have found forums like this to be very helpful for my other vehicles, and I'm sure this one is no exception. I have read a few posts, but was hoping that you guys could give me the quick "Cliff Notes" on what to avoid/look for when buying a Cobra. I will use this car to drive to work once a week or so (15 miles), and occasionally on the weekend. I do not plan to race it, etc. Here is what I am considering:

1) Either a Superformance or Backdraft chassis (or maybe Factory Five)
2) 351 Windsor (or possibly a 302)
3) thinking I would like A/C, but not sure how well that works on these cars
4) of course 17" wheels, and side pipes
5) want a manual (of course), but don't know anything about TREMEC T-5 vs. T-56, etc.
6) would like a top (not sure about a hard top)

I don't even know what I don't know. I'm hoping to have a budget of around $35-$45K. I'm fine with buying used with low miles. I also live in the Raleigh NC area in case there is any dealer or cars I should be looking at around here. ANY advice you can give would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Welcome!

I have parents in Holly Springs! They used to live in Cary, by the golf course.
Whatever you purchase we will have to hook up on my next visit to NC.

I PM'd you the details of my Contemporary. It was not on your list but might be a consideration as they made a great car. If interetsed give me a call.

Regardless, Best of luck and look at a few before buying. If possible get into a group, not sure if there is one in your town?

Best
Jeff
Old 07-07-2009, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
Welcome!

I have parents in Holly Springs! They used to live in Cary, by the golf course.
Whatever you purchase we will have to hook up on my next visit to NC.

I PM'd you the details of my Contemporary. It was not on your list but might be a consideration as they made a great car. If interetsed give me a call.

Regardless, Best of luck and look at a few before buying. If possible get into a group, not sure if there is one in your town?

Best
Jeff
Thanks Jeff, will take a look at the car. Would be good to connect sometime if you are in the area.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
I'm at the higher end of your budget range, but I would consider 45K for the ERA Cobra listed in my signature.

Bill S.
Nice looking car. I have to do a bit more research so I even fully appreciate what an ERA Cobra offers. I will review the pics and keep this car in mind. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 427 Top Oiler stroked to 482 by KC, Stage 2 heads, a Quikfuel and Voila, 640 hp
Not Ranked     

My sister lives in Cary and my parents moved there when the population was less than 7000. The place is unrecognizable now! Anyway, Bill's ERA is a great deal. If I didn't already have a superior ride, I'd be all over his ERA. Seriously, it's a good deal and I am in no way connected or related to him!

Tim

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy
Old 07-07-2009, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

You need to take a drive to see Dennis Olthoff in Mt. Ulla, NC (about two hours away from Raleigh). Dennis is very well known in the Superformance (SPF) world.

You will be able to see different cars and test drive a few, as well. It looks like he has several used SPFs on his website that are in your price range.

http://www.olthoffracing.com/

Good luck.