17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2002, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default L.A./Orange County area owners !

Anyone in the SoCal area interested in meeting and going for a day run one weekend (soon !) ? I'd be up for any destination : up/down the coast, desert, mountains, etc.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Check out the following post ....
Bi-Monthly Lunch, June 6, at the Sandwich Factory, Ventura, CA.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '73 Jensen Healey Mk.I #13046
Not Ranked     
Default Ventura, OK, I guess.

I don't think of Ventura as Southern California. That's just me I guess, hey, I think Chatsworth is in Northern California too and trust me I'm not geographically challanged. I just think anything South of Malibu is Southern California and everything North of Malibu is Northern California.

Heck, I still waiting for Southern California to break off into it's own state. Well I can dream can't I. Likely not in my lifetime.
Old 10-06-2002, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

James

We! Up here in Northern Cal are also hoping that So Cal will break off. Then we can have all the water to ourselves.

Lew
Old 10-06-2002, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lew;

Thanks for the kind thoughts, but keep in mind that the North has a history of electing people like Boxer, Fienstein, Davis into office.

Somehow, The North and those up there just don't get it. I know there are many level heads up in the North, but for the life of me I just can't figure the rest out. I just couldn't live like that. LOL
Old 10-07-2002, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA427SC #323, 427 SO, 428 crank, 454 CI, "IM2QWIK"---ERA GT-40 #2043 Ford SVO 302 Weber 48 IDA's 400HP "1 GT 40"
Not Ranked     
Cool recheck your maps, Jimbo!!!

Jim,

This is gonna come as a surprise to you but Chatsworth is actually South of Malibu... Malibu just starts South of the Ventura line... Besides I ain't seen you in about a year and a half!!! We had 18 Cobras show up last Sat. and cruised down PCH to the Rock Store...

spotterjoe

Old 10-07-2002, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well SpotterJoe you are of course, on course and correct maybe I'm just a little geographically challanged afterall. I just don't get that far North these days, they don't race at Golita Airport anymore so I just don't leave the area. You are always welcome down here though. I was at Knott's this year but only about two hours, my singing schedule is taking over my life and dictating when and where I go anywhere.

I do hope to see you soon though. All my best. Jim
Old 10-07-2002, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA535 with 427FE s.o.& toploader
Send a message via AIM to bonyhadi Send a message via Yahoo to bonyhadi
Not Ranked     
Cool

Hello Jimbo,
Not only did we give you Southern Californians Diane, which I concur is worse than a case of clap and as manageable as aids, we also give you
our water. ANY TIME you'all want to split off will be too soon for us here
in the valley. We are busy growing food and fiber for the rest of the country!
Hope you are doing well, that you are moving closer to that Beck Spyder!
Will you be down at Coronado for the vintage races this weekend? Let me
know.
God Bless America,
daniel
Old 05-19-2003, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

SSirlin,

This topic got off track really quick, didn't it. The truth is, it's hard to organize runs with everyones' busy schedules. That's why I run rallies.

1. You have the schedules months in advance.

2. You drive the BEST roads in the area (In November, we're going all the way to Laughlin).

3. You get to meet and run with car enthusiasts with all types of cars (It's very interesting to compare the Cobra's handling dynamics against BMW's, Porsches, WRX's and Mini Coopers)!

4. Plus, there's workers spotted all over the course who can help you if something goes wrong with your car.

5. There's a huge entertainment factor in getting your car to checkpoints exactly on time.

I will be running the First Friday Nite Rally on June 6 (6:30 PM, entry fee $10.00) and the Blazing Saddles Rally on June 21 (Lebec to Santa Maria, entry fee $55.00). http://carzero.freeservers.com/BZ03fly.htm

Please join us,
Paul
Old 06-20-2003, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Southern California

I am trying to decide which kit to buy. This is the only post that mentions So Cal. Can anyone make a recommendation on a manufacturer in the So Cal area????
Old 06-23-2003, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #69, 351W, T5
Send a message via AIM to brainbugnj Send a message via Yahoo to brainbugnj
Not Ranked     

i would also love to hear any feedback... I am in the SAn Diego area and was looking for a club to chat with before purchasing my first cobra....
Old 06-23-2003, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just hang out here and read the forum posts. This is one of the best clubs for good info. But you have to do your homework.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't think there are any manufacturers of Cobra replicas in the southern California region. I think the closest you would find is
C-F Enterprises Ltd. in Long Beach. They convert MGBs into an AC Ace, sort of a slab-side Cobra. Their website is www.calace.com. You can also checkout www.kitcars.com. They list all manufacturers in the country.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thats correct, I think only Ron Butler and Boyd are building Cobras in California and they are sold only as turnkeys last I checked. I suggest you call or write Unique, ERA, MidStates, HDR and some others, they all build a good product.

I strongly suggest you stay away from the Factory Five, in my never to be humble opinion. It is not up to contemporary quality standards and the two I've assisted in building with friends showed me that is not a kit I'd want to own or even bother building. I know some folks love em' but there is no counting for taste. Now I go into my bunker and hunked down and await the incoming assult from the FFR owners, who know I'm right but have to defend their choice in Cobras. LOL Let the games begin.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Wow Jim,

You got a lot of guts! I think people are just too shocked to respond!

Ron Butler no longer has molds to build Cobras. Too bad, he made some good ones!

Paul
Old 06-23-2003, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You are absolutely correct Ron doesn't build new Cobras but, he has his business re-manifacturing his older ones and they are very nice.

When it takes guts to tell the truth in the face of non-belief and false statements by makers, I will be there. RS you should know that about me by now.

I do believe there are many good Cobras made today, I personally do not believe the FFR is one of them. However that said, if someone want to buy and build one, thats fine with me, they have that right but I personally perfer not have a Cobra replica rather than a poorly engineered and parted out car.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To each their own. I have a FFR and love it, but am the first to admit that the quality of a FFR build rests solely in the hands of the builder and (if used) the body shop. There are some very nice FFRs that are very high quality cars, and then there are some that were slapped together and didn't come out so well.

Take a look at Tood Buttrick's car if you doubt what I'm saying. Mine is pretty nice too. :P

There are several FFR pro builders in So. Cal. Roger Stine in Dana Point comes to mind, as well as Dave's Performance in Temecula. I know I'm forgetting at least one other.

If I had unlimited funds I may or may not have gone with FFR. I sure as hell would have considered Kirkham very seriously. Gotta love that aluminum skin.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Please understand I'm not condemning anyone for what they like or what they build. I'm sure your FFR is pleasing to you, and I agree the build has a high degree to do with the overall quality of the finished product, but no matter how good the builder is they cannot overcome the inherent design. Maybe the newer frame design is better or the Spec racer is somehow better.

But when you are finished and you’ve spent your money, it is still a FFR. I have serious considerations personally about the design of the chassis and including the so-called stressed skin construction techniques employed, those I’ve seen and have assisted in building should have almost twice the number of rivets to be classified as a true stress-skin semi-monocock chassis.

The bodies I have had experience with were flimsy and obvious had major quality control shortcomings in laying up of the body. Both of the projects I assisted with were tweaked, bent and never fit over the frame correctly. I also hate the attachment method of the body with bolts going through the waste-band of the car sort of hidden behind the side pipes, (but not really). I personally dislike this approach.

Like I said; I’m not knocking your personal replica, but the short falls in the over all FFR Cobra replica design and are unacceptable to me personally. I have no personal ax to grind with the FFR folks, I think they are building a poor product comparing to the others on the market. That is true from my experience and point of viewas I see it

I agree a Kirkham Cobra replica is simply the best made, then or now. I’m gonna crawl back in my hole now and await the incoming. HeHeHe.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have heard one or two people claim that the aluminum panels add significantly to the structural integrity of the vehicle, but I've never heard FFR claim this. I believe the frame is equal to any other on the market. There are, of course, significant differences between the Mark I and Mark II frames. I didn't experience any feeling of flimsyness with the body. Perhaps you have not looked at a FFR closely in the past year or two?

I've never seen real evidence that the FFR frame is either superior or inferior to anyone else's. I'd be interested in actual proof, if anyone has any, otherwise it's just more rhetoric.

I agree about the bolts behind the pipes being a bit of an eyesore. There are methods of hiding those if it bothers you.

Anyway, I think what you are saying is that FFR is a poor replica for your needs/desires. I can't argue with that, as I don't think any one car can meet everyone's needs/desires. We both agree that Kirkham makes a fine replica, but it doesn't meet my needs because it costs far more than I can afford to spend on a hobby. For someone with a lot more disposable income than myself, it might fit the bill nicely. That doesn't mean I go around saying Kirkham makes a poor product because it doesn't pull my trigger, dig?
Old 06-23-2003, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree with most of what you have presented and there may have been improvements made. You are correct in that the FFR doesn't meet my needs in any way. But it doesn't mean it doesn't float your boat, that's fair to say.

I'm a mechnical (auto) engineer with knowledge far beyond my intelect, I freely admit that, but I have very high standards when I strap a race car on my back and hang everything out in turn nine!

I have seat time in many race cars over the years including Cobra replicas and IMSA racers. I guess other than the engineering & quality issues the FFR just isn't a good fit in the cockpit for me and I'm not just talking comfort.

Maybe sometime I can see your FFR and I might have a change of opinion. I have a fondness for a Kirkham myself and it's well over my abilities at this time, but there are some very nice Uniques' and a few others on the used market that I feel better about I like the firmness of feel of the Unique and ERA over any of the mid-priced replicas.