14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

Here is the last shot for tonight. The front brakes are massive. I really wanted some good brakes and Hurricane came through for me. I will give you guys the break down of the rears tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Dean, what size rotors are those?
Larry
Old 03-20-2010, 12:33 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've never seen safety wire used on the rotors bolts. Is this normal and do most people do it?

Regards.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch build, with help
Not Ranked     

usual to run a single strand around as per bottom right

for good detail on lockwiring check out the amateur aircraft web sites
Note: the wire has to be tight between bolts or the bolts will loosen until the lockwire is tight, then the bolts won't be tight enough.

Last edited by Maurice Butler; 03-20-2010 at 02:08 AM..
Old 03-20-2010, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

Brent the rotors are the 12.19 rotors that a lot of us use on our cars. I don't think I could go any larger with 15 inch wheels.

I will also check the safety wire and tighten the loose wires. Thanks for the tips. We always use lock-tite on those bolts as well.

The rear brakes took a little more thought but with the help of some previous owners the problem was solved. It is tough to get a good emergency brake, Willwood calipers, big rotors all bolted to Ford IRS parts. Here is a picture of the parts.

That bracket is the key to making this kit work properly.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Looking good....
Old 03-20-2010, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, I'm very excited to be back in a Hurricane. And this is turning out to be an awesome Hurricane. This has nothing to do with the brakes but I have to share some thoughts. Here are the headers and side pipes as they were mocked up.

They have had the mufflers cut out and a larger ID muffler installed. Many have done this before on the forum and it really opens up the flow. Here is the system when it came back from the coaters.

I really was leaning to the black pipes. I wanted the ceramic coating for the thermal properties then I was going to paint the black. The traditional "Jet Hot" type coating has a more pearl look to the finish. This doesn't have that. I really like this finish. I don't think I have ever seen this finish before. I know it is probably hard to see what I'm talking about but I might leave them like this for a while. Any thoughts?
Old 03-20-2010, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I actually like that finish. Sort of between the normal ceramic coating finish and chrome. I think that would awesome on a total black car. If you were considering black why wouldn't you just do the ceramic coating in black?
Old 03-20-2010, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Dean
Can't remember if I told you on our phone conversions but on your rear brakes, you may find you have to grind the top of the parking brake a little to make it fit the wheels. It's the same set up I have as you know. I have two sets of Trigo's and both scraped just slightly. After a little grinding and reshaping though, no problems.
Larry
Old 03-20-2010, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have heard from some of the ceramic coating suppliers that the silver has better thermal properties than the black. That was what I was basing my decision on. Also, I wasn't 100% sure that I wanted black at the time I needed to make that decision. The last picture, up by the header flange is about the only place you can really see the finish with out the distortion from the flash on the camera. It really is much more reflective than the silver ceramic I have had on other cars.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

So, everthing is fitting, you havn't had to take things back apart and send them back? And it came with with all the bolts? No back orders waiting for parts you paid for? This looks to easy.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have built quite a few cars from entry level to top of the line, cobra to GT40 and every manufacturer has back orders and supply issues from time to time but the parts should all fit without modification. So far nothing is back ordered and it really has been this easy.

I have more pictures of the rear brakes assembled and mounted on the car. It will be down on its tires by Sunday night!

Old 03-21-2010, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dean,

Keep looking at those beautiful "PIPES" and may have to switch to those......Looking good my friend!
Old 03-21-2010, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To finish up the rest of the system we had to chose the master cylinders. I have read on the Hurricane forum that some of the previous owners had trouble locking up the brakes. That shouldn't be the case even with the stock GM disk package included in the standard kit. I wanted to assume that the previous Hurricane company had put some thought into the system but just to be sure I decided to double check their work. Paul Proefrock sent me an Excel spreadsheet to determine the proper master cylinder given an optimize pedal pressure of 60 lbs. This took into account the pedal ratio, the rotor size, tire size, weight of the car, piston surface area front and back and the G force created given a maximum braking condition. There is probably more that went into the final answer but I don't remember. The formula gave us a master cylinder size closest to a .625 front and .750 rear with balance at the pedal set to neutral (50% front and rear). I think the original kits came with 1 inch masters. According to the spreadsheet we used, that would account for the tremendous effort needed to lock up the wheels. These new masters should provide more pedal travel and less effort needed to lock'em up! I have also installed a Willwood in line bias adjuster next to the drivers seat.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, 427w
Not Ranked     

Those are some bad a$$ looking brakes!
Are those the new upgrade brake package from Hurricane?
Hurricane Motorsports #1053; 427w
Old 03-21-2010, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

These are the type of pictures that put a smile on your face! The car is on the tires. Man those Goodyears look awesome!!

Old 03-21-2010, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In That last picture you can see where the sway bar is going to be mounted in the front. I had to have the arms bent to fit the front suspension.

I will try to post more about the size and design of the sway bar system later this week.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Nice photos and description of your progress.

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 03-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbulk View Post
So, everthing is fitting, you havn't had to take things back apart and send them back? And it came with with all the bolts? No back orders waiting for parts you paid for? This looks to easy.
With the exception of a few back-ordered parts that were delivered within a week, that's EXACTLY what you get when you buy a Hurricane.
Sorry if you had a different experience with your B&B.

Jim
Old 03-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Yes Dean, if you can just open boxes of parts and bolt them on that is way too easy.