28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, 427w
Not Ranked     

I just love seeing all the tweaks and improvements in the HMS cars! Dean, thanks for all the input for your car that will be incorporated into the HMS 2xxx series cars. I also appreciate how the new ownership is thinking about us legacy HMS owners and designing many of the improvements so they can be retrofitted to HMS 1xxx series cars. Steve, Jason and company . . .keep up the good work and thanks!
Matt
Hurricane Motorsports #1053; 427w
Old 03-24-2010, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

Here is another possible upgrade for the previous Hurricane buyers. I know the fuel tanks have been an issue for some of you in the past. Not anymore!

They wanted to paint it black but I thought a quick polish with some WD-40 and a scotch-brite pad would be much better. As a general rule, I never paint aluminum, I think it looks better in the raw!

Old 03-24-2010, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

The alum. gas tank is the best thing yet for a retrofit. The plastic tank has always been problematic for me, looking forward to that fix.
Bill...Ya go ahead and polish the thing.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Nice looking gas tank as it almost looks like the Fuel Safe fuel cell I had in my 1966 GT350R Mustang track car as per the following..

Wonder if one of these would fit....

Last edited by gsharapa; 03-24-2010 at 07:22 PM..
Old 03-24-2010, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

Gary, you would have to give them a call to double check the dimensions on the new tank to see if that cell would fit.
Another little project was the e-brake assembly. It is pretty straight forward but since it is the first one with the new calipers on an upgraded brake system on an IRS it took a little thinking but it went pretty smooth. The Kirkham was the only cobra I have ever had where the e-brake actually worked!

Old 03-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     

Dean and Gary,

The colonel always said good, clean livin' and patience will net you many rewards. Appropriate for this build thread, and your trips coming home to Hurricane.

Mike, Steve, Jason, and big John have to be proud of their efforts and how these baby's are turning out. I second Matt's opinion. This build thread is creating alot of buzz around this neck of the woods..

John
Old 03-25-2010, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John, the guys from Hurricane will be there Friday morning. I think this will be their first cobra event so take it easy on them.

I forgot to post the picture of the dash in the car. You can see the new dash supports and my brake bias adjuster. I need a little help deciding where to mount the master disconnect switch. Any thoughts?

Old 03-25-2010, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

Did the originals have disconnect switches? Where did they mount them?
Old 03-25-2010, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am not sure if the originals had disconnect switches or not. I like knowing that I can shut the car down quickly if I need to. I had my Kirkham on the track one day and the throttle stuck wide open. I can tell you that the kill switch and the MSD rev limiter saved the car that day. The new Backdraft cars have it under the dash on the tunnel. It is easy to reach and not a blemish on the vintage dash. Right now thats where it is.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dean,

I've seen some cut off switches on the far right side of the dash, some under as you mention and some in the middle of the panel behind the seats. Got an email from Steve this afternoon and he said they'd be in San Marcos around 4 or 5pm Friday.

Last edited by gsharapa; 03-25-2010 at 06:19 PM..
Old 03-25-2010, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm going to talk to Jason in the morning. I think I might put it just behind the shifter. The wiper assembly is in and mounted as well as the aluminum fire wall panel.

I am going to install a complete fake Lucas wiring harness on the firewall as we get closer to finishing it up.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

WOW....look at the dual horns!
Old 03-26-2010, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Those horns are something special! The little chrome grills are going to have to go. By the way the body has been painted!!!

Here are a few shots for you!

Man it really looks good!

But you will have to wait.

Last edited by dlampe; 03-26-2010 at 05:15 AM..
Old 03-26-2010, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The floor mount pedals are coming along nicely. The pedal arm ratio similar to the Willwood assembly from the first generation cars of 6.25 to 1. The brake pedal has the Willwood balance bar assemble but Hurricane makes the actual pedal arm. I am using the cast aluminum AC pedals from finishline but they haven't shown up yet.

Last edited by dlampe; 03-26-2010 at 03:32 PM..
Old 03-26-2010, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey, I think I see a replica gas pedal up there too.
Larry
Old 03-26-2010, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Larry, I thought I had a picture of that to share with you but I can't find it. It is a very good copy of the original pedal. The cars are also coming with a solid linkage system too!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, can't wait to see the linkage!
Have they worked out a rear anti-sway bar for IRS?
Larry
Old 03-26-2010, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

Just out of curiosity how many people are building this car because you are moving along faster than I've ever seen anybody build. You have to be putting in at least 8-10 hours a day if not more. I can't believe how quickly this is going.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:05 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueoo7 View Post
Just out of curiosity how many people are building this car because you are moving along faster than I've ever seen anybody build. You have to be putting in at least 8-10 hours a day if not more. I can't believe how quickly this is going.
I was wondering the same thing. Also, not sure laying any cover/tarp over fresh automotive paint is ever a good idea. So I will guess the above pics were more so for effect and your painters are smarter than that.

-Dean
Old 03-27-2010, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This car is in Iowa at the Hurricane shop. Jason works on the car most of the time buy himself. I speak with Jason in the mornings and in the afternoon after I see the pictures from the days assembly. I have also spent a couple weekends in the shop with him. With basically what is a new car, I wanted to show the whole process, not just the finishing of the kit at my house. Some times the guys on the forum can be pretty critical and I want to show all the steps for everyone to see. If it passes the test here then it should be good to go!
A lot of time was taken getting ready to build so the build would go smoothly. I think the kit would go together in anyones shop pretty smoothly but it helps when you have a guy working on the project everyday! I am going to get the car next week and finish the assembly here in Illinois.

Dean, your right, I was just being dramatic. Here is a shot of the paint.

Last edited by dlampe; 03-27-2010 at 06:18 AM..