12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2010, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

These are the pictures that I love to see. I saw the factory car when I was in Iowa 2 weeks ago and it looks awesome. The paint work was just fantastic. The body will be mounted to the chassis early next week. This is what it looks like today.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKIII, SPO2891, SPO1649
Not Ranked     
Default Hurricane for the Street?

Whoa, is that black car a Hurricane street roadster? No side pipes, awesome.

One thing I've noticed is that the Hurricane has a correct street roadster stance, just awesome.

Juan

2432 Crittenden Drive, Suite 201
Louisville, KY 40217
http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com
juan@lbrdesign.com
502-558-2904
Old 03-27-2010, 08:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
Also, not sure laying any cover/tarp over fresh automotive paint is ever a good idea. So I will guess the above pics were more so for effect and your painters are smarter than that.

-Dean
If you can attack a new paint job with sandpaper and a buffer less than 24 hours after it's shot, putting a loose cover on it to keep it clean and protected in the shop won't hurt anything.

Jim
Old 03-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

I must be old schooling again and thinking about acrylic lacquer. LOL

Even with the new water borne paints by GM, they recommend no covers on their cars for 2-3 months (as per their owners manuals). Hmmm.....
You can rub on the top layer(s) all day long, but the underlying base is still soft and seams on certain covers can leave indentations. Please don't ask me why I know this...

Black looks deep!

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 03-27-2010 at 10:33 AM..
Old 03-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
I must be old schooling again and thinking about acrylic lacquer. LOL

Even with the new water borne paints by GM, they recommend no covers on their cars for 2-3 months (as per their owners manuals). Hmmm.....
You can rub on the top layer(s) all day long, but the underlying base is still soft and seams on certain covers can leave indentations. Please don't ask me why I know this...

Black looks deep!
I believe the thinking is that the paint's chemicals are being released into the air and a car cover may/will block or inhibit their release into the air as the paint cures. But what do I know.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

We don't have to fight this battle here. The cover was on just for the drama. The body is in the assembly shop. The amount of dust is very limited. I have always thought that new paint needed to cure out for a couple of months but I'm sure the car will get a professional buff out before it goes anywhere. That is also an excellent cover. It is always a choice between dust on the new paint or potential damage from the cover. If someone touches a dusty car, well you all know the result.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane HM1073 Keith Craft Genesis 427FE/482 CI
Not Ranked     

Lookin good Dean.

Why didn't they cut out for the sidepipes before painting? Or am I just not seeing them.

Keep the pics coming.

Dan
Old 03-27-2010, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKIII, SPO2891, SPO1649
Not Ranked     
Default Street roadster???

That is why I asked if the one pictured above was going to be a Street Roadster. With no sidepipes?

Juan
Quote:
Originally Posted by danc30 View Post
Lookin good Dean.

Why didn't they cut out for the sidepipes before painting? Or am I just not seeing them.

Keep the pics coming.

Dan

2432 Crittenden Drive, Suite 201
Louisville, KY 40217
http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com
juan@lbrdesign.com
502-558-2904

Last edited by froggyman; 03-27-2010 at 06:39 PM..
Old 03-27-2010, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I don't know what to say about that. I would have thought they would have cut the holes before the paint also. We have been pushing so hard for the this car to be finished, maybe it was an oversight. I will give them a call tomorrow at the shop. I believe they are working on it this weekend. What ever the outcome, I'm sure it will be right when I pick it up this week. I will say the when I did a BDR last winter for a guy I had to use my grinder with a paddle wheel to reshape the opening for the side pipes and you couldn't tell I had done the work.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Dean,

Met Mike and Steve at the Texas Cobra Club meet in San Marcos Texas this weekend. Got to spend a couple minutes with them out at the airport when the group was getting a picture of their cars. Rest of the time was racing and cruising and I had to come home tonight for a commitment tomorrow. Think they enjoyed themselves and they met a bunch of Hurricane owners...
Old 03-28-2010, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is a shot of the car at the body shop before the clear. You can see in this shot that the side pipe holes are not cut.

Last edited by dlampe; 03-28-2010 at 06:18 AM..
Old 03-28-2010, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Dean

With some of the changes they made and your car actually going to be done prior to their factory car they probably decided to wait until they mount the body and and make sure they are correct the first time. Kirkham's come uncut and I have to say all the SPFs Ive done I had to make some minor changes usually to the back side of the hole.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, 427w
Not Ranked     

I see two improvements on the body. One is the recess around the headlight openings so the bezels sit more flush with the fender. The other is the more accurate hood opening without the molded in pods for the hood rests. Very nice!
But Dean, why no sidepipe cutouts? I know you're not going with under car exhaust.
Matt
Hurricane Motorsports #1053; 427w
Old 03-28-2010, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The engine is further along now but here is where it started. These pond blocks are truly a work of art!

Old 03-28-2010, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlampe View Post
The engine is further along now but here is where it started. These pond blocks are truly a work of art!

Dean,
What sort of air filters are you going to run with the IDA'S?
I am using a custom 351 Cup engine basically and am currently going through design of a large air filter that goes around carb and dist with extensive ducting to make this work and have good filtering and cold air!!

The 1960's rocked!
Old 03-28-2010, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

AJ, I usually don't run filters.

I change the oil a lot and it is really dirty! I have ran with the Weber's on many cars over the years and I have never ran with the filters. They either take away to much HP or they look bad.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

Dean, if that's your garage with the motor sitting in it, you must be a sick man, its way too clean.... The motor sure looks great as does the whole chassis. It always seems on builds like this, the body should be clear lexan so we can all continue to admire the craftsmanship put into the build.
ken
Old 03-29-2010, 02:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Hurricane HMS2002 build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlampe View Post
AJ, I usually don't run filters.

I change the oil a lot and it is really dirty! I have ran with the Weber's on many cars over the years and I have never ran with the filters. They either take away to much HP or they look bad.
I agree they look better without, and for a the little miles some of our cobras do it probably doesnt matter that much until you come to the Canterbury plains here in NZ where the norwesters blow a fair bit of dust even at my local race track it can be quite dusty.

Nice looking setup in your garage, keep up the good work!

The 1960's rocked!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Nice mountain bike in the corner, every cobra needs a couple of them hanging around to keep the snake calm.
Harrr!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Sidepipes

Had a great time at the Texas Cobra Club meeting in San Marcos this weekend. Hurricane was very well represented with 9 cars and we rode with a few of the owners. Thanks guys. It was a very well run meeting and I understand the track day went very well also. Thanks to all involved for organizing the event and showing us a good time.

The sidepipe cutouts have not been made in HM-2002 yet. With all the changes and improvements to the car, including lowering the side skirts slightly, we want to make sure the cutout is positioned correctly. We will put the body on soon and get the relevant measurements to locate the cutouts and use this reference to make a template for future cars.

Last edited by HMS_Steve; 03-29-2010 at 10:18 AM..