28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looks great. Dana is great to work with. I used one of their bodies on my scratch built Cobra. Have fun. John
Old 09-22-2011, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default my car

I have a finished pic from Dana. Delivering this weekend. I hope this works.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2011, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Classic Wheels #20117
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoegen View Post
Hey mangoman,this is DOC from WV with the blue and silver 427 from the show.What's happening?Engine looks good.Getting excited yet?Won't be long per Dana,The more I get into changes in this car the more I see how fantastic this kit is and the more I see how sturdy and well built.Made the best choice in my book.Good luck my friend. DOC
Hey Doc! How are you? Dana told me you were making changes to your car. What did you do to change that beautiful car? With tomorrow being the first day of fall, I'll get my car just in time to store it away for the winter! I'll get excited when they tell me it's back from paint!

Why is there no Shell Valley Group?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by john chesnut View Post
Looks great. Dana is great to work with. I used one of their bodies on my scratch built Cobra. Have fun. John
John, thanks. I am patiently (not) waiting to strap in and haul a$$! Tell me about your Cobra!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSC-ZL1 View Post
Wow it looks great! When you get an opportunity, I can't wait to see a full photo shoot of that monster engine and interior/body! Good luck!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Mango,no real changes.Made a radiator screen for the bugs.Improved the cooling.I'll be at the shell valley booth again May in 2012 with Frank .We'll
probably be in the show untill I sell it.NEVER.I may calm the engine down alittle.TOO MUCH horsepower.Believe me,when I start chopping HP then U know It's too much.Get the car and register it and use it before winter.Any problem areas will show up.It's normal for a kit car too show problems and it will give u time to plan.If u should bring the car to someone for adjustments,call me first.There is a cobra builder u don't want to go to.Good luck. DOC

Last edited by jojoegen; 09-23-2011 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-23-2011, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm happy to tell you about my replica. I built a steel space frame that incorporates a stressed trans tunnel(back bone). I built in the suspension pick up points for C5 Corvette aluminum, double aframe suspension. Because the Cobra is narrower than the C5, Denny's driveshaft supplied me with 2 inch narrower axles. A custom steering rack was made to maintain the proper geometry when I narrowed the front track to fit the Cobra. The Vette uses a transaxle which will not fit in the Cobra. I designed an adapter plate and had a an input shaft machined that allowed a driveshaft to hook up to the Vette's aluminum diff. The diff bolts into the rear of the trans tunnel. I used an aluminum LS6 Vette engine. 405hp stock and bolted it to a Tremec 6 speed trans from a camaro. Forte's supplied a shifter relocation kit to position the shifter in the proper place as the engine is set way back. Tubular Automotive custom built the headers and sidepipes which I designed to go up and over my foot boxes. This keeps the footboxes cool and allows me to have maximum leg room. My frame wraps around you so I sit 3 inches lower than a stock Cobra. This was necessary as I am reasonably tall. I built an aluminum fuel tank. I didn't want it showing so I molded in the rear of the Cobra so when you look from the rear you see a nice smooth body. I am running 18 inch wheels front and rear. 275 tires up front, 295 in the rear. I painted it Corvette Atomic Orange Effect and I have Shell Valley's soft top for inclement weather. I drive the car as much as possible. It's plenty fast, gets over 30mpg, and I can have it serviced at any repair shop or GM dealer.

I know that my car is not for the purist. But, I love it. John
Old 09-23-2011, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm happy to tell you about my replica. I built a steel space frame that incorporates a stressed trans tunnel(back bone). I built in the suspension pick up points for C5 Corvette aluminum, double aframe suspension. Because the Cobra is narrower than the C5, Denny's driveshaft supplied me with 2 inch narrower axles. A custom steering rack was made to maintain the proper geometry when I narrowed the front track to fit the Cobra. The Vette uses a transaxle which will not fit in the Cobra. I designed an adapter plate and had a an input shaft machined that allowed a driveshaft to hook up to the Vette's aluminum diff. The diff bolts into the rear of the trans tunnel. I used an aluminum LS6 Vette engine. 405hp stock and bolted it to a Tremec 6 speed trans from a camaro. Forte's supplied a shifter relocation kit to position the shifter in the proper place as the engine is set way back. Tubular Automotive custom built the headers and sidepipes which I designed to go up and over my foot boxes. This keeps the footboxes cool and allows me to have maximum leg room. My frame wraps around you so I sit 3 inches lower than a stock Cobra. This was necessary as I am reasonably tall. I built an aluminum fuel tank. I didn't want it showing so I molded in the rear of the Cobra so when you look from the rear you see a nice smooth body. I am running 18 inch wheels front and rear. 275 tires up front, 295 in the rear. I painted it Corvette Atomic Orange Effect and I have Shell Valley's soft top for inclement weather. I drive the car as much as possible. It's plenty fast, gets over 30mpg, and I can have it serviced at any repair shop or GM dealer.

I know that my car is not for the purist. But, I love it. John
Old 09-23-2011, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John, that sounds like you put a lot of thought into this car. As far as the purists? These cars are replicas meant to honor the originals with more modern equipment. I'm sure your car has the sweetest ride and corners perfectly since you used the corvette parts! The orange color on the corvettes is sweet. I have a dodge ram daytona that used a similar color called GoManGo! in 2005 and I always have people stopping me and asking what the color is called. good luck with your cobra. Any pics?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hey Mango,no real changes.Made a radiator screen for the bugs.Improved the cooling.I'll be at the shell valley booth again May in 2012 with Frank .We'll
probably be in the show untill I sell it.NEVER.I may calm the engine down alittle.TOO MUCH horsepower.Believe me,when I start chopping HP then U know It's too much.Get the car and register it and use it before winter.Any problem areas will show up.It's normal for a kit car too show problems and it will give u time to plan.If u should bring the car to someone for adjustments,call me first.There is a cobra builder u don't want to go to.Good luck. DOC
Well Doc, I'm hoping that I have zero issues onece I receive it, both mechanically and registration. We will be in Carlisle 2012 as Travis has already invited us to bring it to display with your car and Frank's.
Too much HP? I know how much you love the sound of your car (who wouldn't?) so I can only imagine that you are downsizing the carb? Mine will have 435hp and I am convinced it is plenty for me to drive it comfortably. I did see Engine factory has a ford 363 stroker that sounds way too cool.
If I have any issues or concerns I will contact you for more info. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

hey mango.Probably going to detune oi alittle.The torque is slightly too high.Detune by carb adjustment and timing backoff.Should drop it to just under 600hp.Still deciding on doing it or not.6 MPG is a little excessive don't ya think?.Hope to see ya at the show.It's always fun with Travi,Dana and Frank.See ya, DOC
Old 09-24-2011, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DOC, 6 mpg? I don't remember what size fuel tank is in our cars but that's a range of only 90-120 miles! What is that, like 2 tankfuls back and forth to Carlisle?!?
Old 09-24-2011, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSC-ZL1 View Post
Did they deliver the Cobra today?? We want videos!
Old 09-24-2011, 11:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

16 gal. tank.With ovet 600 hp to feed with dual quads.,thats about 96 miles to a tank. and 61 miles to carlisle. I don't go by miles per gallon .I go by gallons per mile.DOC
Old 09-28-2011, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Mango,did the car come in yet? DOC
Old 09-28-2011, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #6101 streetbeast Ingelese stack EFI 351w/t-5 9" 4link 3.55
Not Ranked     

Dana is one good dude! Helped me alot!!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dana is a good guy. Travis is great too! I hear nothing but good things about the personal attention that is put into every build and kit. I am anxious after 4 months of waiting!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hey Mango,did the car come in yet? DOC
DOC,
No car. I'm calling tomorrow as I haven't heard anything for 10 days or so and it was in the paintbooth at the time.

Did you get the pm I sent to you?
Old 09-29-2011, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

yep,answered it yesterday.Did u get the answer? Dana told me this morning that he is still waiting to get your car from paint.I know your anxious but u don't want them to do a rush job do to pressure.He won't be pressured anyway so be cool.I believe it's painted already.It takes days to layer the paint,dry in between,wet sand,buff.Try 2 years of waiting like me but it wasn't due to shell valley,believe me.U can email me at jojoegen@gmail.com if u need me.The club is alright but I sometimes don't see the messages or don't get on the club line.DOC

Last edited by jojoegen; 09-29-2011 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-29-2011, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dana and travis are the BEST.So is Kirkham if u need parts or help.Been working with them for 3 years now and u couldn't get better friends.DOC