Old 11-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
The issue isn't so much appearance, it's the elevation of the "elbow" being higher than the fill cap on the expansion tank:

I think you need to worry about air pockets interfering with coolant flow...I might be wrong, but most engines need an air-bleed at the highest point in the cooling system, which is usually the radiator cap on the radiator. On my Cobra there's a radiator cap fitting inserted into the upper radiator hose (I have no expansion tank, but do have an "overflow reservoir" mounted on the inner fender wall, much like a production car). On my car, the radiator cap is clearly at the highest point in the system.

Cheers!

Dugly
The cap is on the top of the tank, the tank is below the crazy AN elbow AND the heater core...
Old 11-04-2011, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Classic Wheels #20117
Not Ranked     

I'm confused. I am 1500 miles away from the build. The heater core is behind the dashboard and is going through the firewall ... correct? The overflow tank is in the same position (if not higher) than that of the BDR engine bays that I have seen. The AN elbow seems high but I don't know. Can you explain or recommend how it should be (including parts)? I know it's a lot to ask but, again I am not there where it's being built. I will need to pass the info along. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMangoMan View Post
I'm confused. I am 1500 miles away from the build. The heater core is behind the dashboard and is going through the firewall ... correct? The overflow tank is in the same position (if not higher) than that of the BDR engine bays that I have seen. The AN elbow seems high but I don't know. Can you explain or recommend how it should be (including parts)? I know it's a lot to ask but, again I am not there where it's being built. I will need to pass the info along. Thanks.
You had them install a BDR tank, but they have a different location for their heater core (look where the lines go int the firewall) and some interesting upper coolant pipe from the radiator that is well above the cap on the expansion tank. If they bleed the system on a set of ramps those items will still be above the cap, so I guess no room in tank for expansion since you will need a full fill out the overflow tube? If the builder is ok with it then ignore my logic...
Old 11-04-2011, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had them install the BDR tank because I love the look. My builder wasn't sure how it worked because they use a different system. I cannot ignore your logic as it is your system and you certainly should know how it works. Now, if the heater core on this build is where it needs to be on this type of chassis, what alternatives do they have if they are going to use the tank that I supplied for them? If the problem is the heater core lines, then I will have to ditch the BDR overflow tank idea because the lines cannot be moved.

Last edited by GoMangoMan; 11-04-2011 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I had them install the BDR tank because I love the look. My builder wasn't sure how it worked because they use a different system. I cannot ignore your logic as it is your system and you certainly should know how it works. Now, if the heater core on this build is where it needs to be on this type of chassis, what alternatives do they have if they are going to use the tank that I supplied for them? If the problem is the heater core lines, then I will have to ditch the BDR overflow tank idea because the lines cannot be moved.
What would they usually do? Without that tank?
Old 11-05-2011, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As I am new to this, I am not sure of the technical terms but, there is no overflow tank at all used in their builds. They use a large return line with a fill cap on the top.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:34 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
As I am new to this, I am not sure of the technical terms but, there is no overflow tank at all used in their builds. They use a large return line with a fill cap on the top.
That explains the high elbow thing. They need to reroute that lower, if not just for looks alone. I think you may have already told them that. Your writing the checks, get them to clean that up and don't worry about 2 more days for delivery etc...
Old 11-07-2011, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

More photos ... all buttoned up (almost) I'm going to wait to see if I can live with the coolant system looks now that it is fired and working the way it should. It will be an easy winter project if that should be the case.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

You might want to have them check to see that the heater works....if the heater is the highest point in the cooling system, that's where the air will "pool".....

.....also, have the factory drive it around for a while before you let them ship it to you. Often times these cooling issues won't be evident until there are some miles on it. If someone has to fix it, you'll want them to be responsible.

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 11-08-2011, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the advice! The cap on the tank is higher than the heater lines as that has been verified. The front end is being aligned today and they plan on running it afterwards to make sure that everything is good. They are trailering it here (enclosed) middle of next week so there will be ample time to run it and check, and then re-check everything.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

I don't see how the heater lines could lower than the cap. Besides, the height of the cap is not the top of the system, the expansion tank is actually run 3/4 full, the rest is air for expansion.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Just realized the confusion, we are talking apples to expansion tanks here or oranges to overflow tanks?
Old 11-14-2011, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Finished testing! Being cleaned up and (at the time of this post) it will be delivered Thursday afternoon!

Old 11-15-2011, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Looking absolutely stunning!!

I really like the layout of SV's dash.

Cheers!!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 11-15-2011, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Congratulations! She is a beauty!
Old 11-15-2011, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys! I'm hoping it arrives before the sun has set! High temp of 42 on Thursday but I don't think I will feel it lol!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey buddy,car looks good.Read your posts.There will be new car issues but you can deal with them one at a time as we all do.Love the color.Did you change the wheels?.Sorry I didn't get back to u sooner But I retired and have more to do now.Take care.DOC

Last edited by jojoegen; 01-10-2012 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: spelling