Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2005, Keith Craft 408W TKO 600 IRS
Not Ranked     
Default Hurricane HM-2005 Build Thread

My name is Russ in Helotes, TX. Seems I've been "outed" on this forum that I have Hurricane HM-2005 build in process so it seems I should go ahead and post some pix. I took delivery of HM-2005 in April so I'm pretty far along with the build and have plenty of pictures. Bear with me as I learn the process for uploading pictures.

The new owners at Hurricane Motorsports have made a number of improvements for the new generation Hurricanes. The folks at Hurricane have been excellent to deal with especially Steve Sinnard. I had Stewart Transport deliver it from Iowa to Texas. Only car on their big transport. They are used to delivering up to 12 FFRs on each truck.

My Cobra has a Keith Craft 408W putting out somewhere around 515hp and 525ftlbs of torque. My boss had an original CSX street version with the 427 FE side oiler. He bought it in '67 and drove it while in college, restored it and sold it in '98. Rode plenty of times with him (wouldn't let other people drive it because of the value) and the FE to me was just too much. The 408W was a compromise. I know there are plenty of opinions on both sides.

My car also has IRS, TKO 600, Vintage Wheels and Goodyear Billboards. Other stuff I got from Hurricane was ceramic coated headers/sidepipes and powder coated frame (both were excellent).

Here are some pix. I know Dean Lampe has an excellent build thread for HM-2002 so I'll try to not rehash too much on this build thread.

First shows all the boxes that came from Hurricane.

Second one is after the windshield was installed.

And finally the body on the body buck. Thanks to Paul Proefrock for the plans. Had to make a couple of changes to stiffen up the ends and to lower it a bit to get it under the garage opening.

More pictures to come.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     

Congrats and looking forward to more updates. Love the build threads!

- Allen.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The first post was not too exciting. Just the stuff as it came from Hurricane.

When I ordered the kit from Hurricane, it came with the 9" rearend with 3:50 gearing. I decided to go with the IRS option so worked it with Hurricane to swap the 9" for a IRS setup with 3:55 gearing.

Hurricane advertises that the IRS will fit into any existing Hurricane frames. I had to remove 4 different brackets from the frame that interfered with the IRS setup. These were the panhard rod mount, third link mount and two angle braces. There were also the trailing link mounts on the frame but since they didn't interfer with the IRS I left them on. Not too difficult to remove the brackets with a cut off tool, grind and sand smooth. Since the frame had been powder coated I could have patched the powder coating by either making a box around the area or a heat lamp to cure the powder. Real pain in the butt. I opted to use POR-15. Worked like a charm. A little shinier than the powder coating. I believe POR-15 is a polymer based. Good stuff. Seems to be as tough as the powder coating. Hurricane had the frame powder coated before delivery. The powder coating was absolutely flawless. Not sure who they have do it.

Here's how the IRS came from Hurricane. Not sure if they assemble the IRS normally with their kits.

It was easy enough to get installed. Put on a furniture dolly, lifted the frame, rolled into place and lowered the frame down. Clamped it into place as shown in the following picture. The frame came from Hurricane with spacers welded in where the bolts pass thru. Keeps the frame tubes from compressing when torquing the bolts. First class all the way. Had to drill out the holes to make everything line up. Really a one man job.

It appears the IRS got rained on during its trip from Iowa to Texas. Pulled the disks off and a quick bead blasting cleaned them right up.

Here's a picture of the IRS after installation. Note the double drive shaft loop. This is now standard from Hurricane for the HM-2xxx generation cars.

Even though I installed the IRS with an open frame, anyone with a Hurrricane wanting to upgrade their existing 9" Ford rearend to IRS shouldn't have any problem from underneath the car. Still have to remove the brackets. Might need an angle drill to get the holes to lineup enough for the bolts.

Got the adapters and Goodyear Billboards installed too. They sure look great. My only concern with these tires is getting them thru inspection in Texas. By the way, I purchased the Vintage wheels and tires from Hurricane. Came mounted and balanced.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Very cool! I switched my car from the 9" solid axle to IRS. Pretty straight forward install
but on mine, I welded tubes in the frame where the bolts pass through the chassis. Doesn't dimple the frame when the bolts are tightened.

Looking forward to your build thread!
Larry
Old 11-17-2011, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Larry

On the new generation frames, Hurricane had already welded the tubes in the frame to keep from distorting them when you torque the bolts down. I was impressed.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

Russ,

Very informative build thread you've started - I may not need to come down this Saturday after all! just kidding...

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 11-17-2011, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, 427w
Not Ranked     

Russ, thanks for doing a build thread. It's nice seeing the changes and enhancements HM has made on the HM 2xxx series cars.
I couldn't tell from your photo of the IRS and I don't know if the manual now covers it, but be sure both bolts attaching the lower control arms to the frame have the heads facing inward with the nuts outside. If the rear bolts have the nut on the inside, the gas tank will prevent you from removing the bolt to align the rear.
You don't need to ask me how I know
Good luck, have fun and keep the posts coming
Matt
Hurricane Motorsports #1053; 427w
Old 11-17-2011, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, Southern Automotive 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Congrats and have fun with the build!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Excellent stuff Russ, especially the IRS conversion info. Would it be possible to convert a car that already had the rear trunk tub mounted?

FYI I have POR-15 on my frame and it absolutely sucks as a final coat. It looks terrible over time, it is soft and subject to being knocked off with the slightest contact and it sure as hell doesn't stop rust. Even if everything that could go wrong did go wrong the day my frame was coated (back in 2008 by the prior Hurricane company) the stuff should still not act like this. I only say this because it would be well worth the effort to go ahead and topcoat it now.

Jim
Old 11-17-2011, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     
Default Gel Coat

I am amazed as I look at the quality of the gelcoat on the 2nd generation Hurricanes. I was at Dean's build and your pictures show it also.

I compared my 1st gen to one from a very large kit supplier in the NE and found the quality of the Hurricane far superior. I didn't have mold mismatch problems like the NE car. He had to grind seams and build up underside to correct the mismatch. But mine pails to the quality now coming out of Lake City.

Hmmm, may need to build another

Welcome to the Hurricane family, Russ. I'll send you an email about the Hurricane organization site

Paul
Old 11-17-2011, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Very nice! Keep the pics going as you make progress and don't worry about the Billboards in Texas inspection as a ton of us have them and wasn't an issue.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys for all the encouragement. So far it's been alot of fun.

To answer a couple of comments/questions:

Yes, the bolts for the IRS lower A arms have the heads inside with the nuts on the outside. I see what you mean about not being able to remove them. My car has the new aluminum fuel tank and it looks like the bolts would come out if they were installed the other way. I haven't done the alignment yet but thats on the list for the short term.

I only used the POR-15 where I had cut the brackets off. As it turns out, the angle iron used on the IRS subframe covered all but one of the "patches" so only one very small area is exposed. I didn't think it worth the effort to patch the frame with powder coat since you essentially have to build an oven around the area to get the powder to cure.

It looks like the IRS can be added with the trunk and cockpit tubs installed. Might be a bit tight with the upper bolts on the frame. Hurricane might be able to add some insight here as I was working with a bare frame.

WRT the gel coat and the quality of the finish coming out of the molds, it is almost ready as is. The seams were almost not there. Will take very little to prep the body. Will take a little work to adjust the gaps on the panels (hood, doors, trunk). I'm not an expert on fiberglass body work but I was quite impressed with finish and how straight/uniform the body is. I have seen some of the seam and void issues with the big supplier up in the northeast on their forum. You would think with the number of bodies they have done and when they retooled for the Mark 4, they would have corrected alot of their issues. I'll try to post a picture of the seams on the body since mine is still straight from the factory.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Excellent stuff Russ, especially the IRS conversion info. Would it be possible to convert a car that already had the rear trunk tub mounted?

FYI I have POR-15 on my frame and it absolutely sucks as a final coat. It looks terrible over time, it is soft and subject to being knocked off with the slightest contact and it sure as hell doesn't stop rust. Even if everything that could go wrong did go wrong the day my frame was coated (back in 2008 by the prior Hurricane company) the stuff should still not act like this. I only say this because it would be well worth the effort to go ahead and topcoat it now.

Jim
Hey Jim
When I bought mine, Hurricane was fitting Dean Lampe's original Hurricane with the IRS unit for testing. It was originally a 9" but was switched after completed. I'm sure it would be do-able to switch yours now if you wanted.
Larry
Old 11-17-2011, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: hurricane 1075
Not Ranked     

Very cool love the build threads
Good luck and keep the pics coming

Bobby
Old 11-17-2011, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Hey Jim, When I bought mine, Hurricane was fitting Dean Lampe's original Hurricane with the IRS unit for testing. It was originally a 9" but was switched after completed. I'm sure it would be do-able to switch yours now if you wanted. Larry
Thanks Larry, as I look at the cage it would appear that as with Russ, just chop the pan hard and 4-link mounts and then its a weld-in.

Russ, I have have had my car inspected at the local Jiffy Lube since I built it. They have never checked the tires and this last year they didn't even ask to hear the horn or see the wipers (though both worked fine.) I also didn't let them drive it for the brake check, I drove them through the test. This last time they were so enamored with the car, they just stickered it, took my $14.50 and said "Light 'em up when you leave." Okay.

Last edited by elmariachi; 11-17-2011 at 07:15 PM..
Old 11-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     

How do all,

Russ, with all of these friendly faces and acquaintances showing up, it feels a little like a Hurricane Reunion. I congratulate you on selecting your options well. I am a little envious of that build/shop space that you are sporting in the backdrop of your photos.

The boxes/crates, the aluminum fuel tank, the Billboards, the IRS, the seamless gelcoat body... the quality is a surprise only to those unfamiliar with Steve, Mike, Dusty, and the Hurricane Family. Those looking to shop can stop by Scranton Manufacturing Corporation, Inc. to see the full scope of tooling available to Hurricane's production facility.

Though you went with IRS, I am still pretty stoked with how bullet proof my modified Detroit Locker equipped Ford 9" is. I am running 3.46 gears

You will be plenty happy with your Craft Racing 408w. When Bob comes down, he can fill you in on how this powerplant works for me (I don't believe he is still using his neck brace). Did you go with steel flywheel or something lighter from Keith?

Welcome and enjoy the combined braintrust.

PS - Speaking of Hurricane Reunions, we are beginning chatter about the Texas Cobra Meet coming in San Marcos, March 2012.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshel1 View Post
How do all,

Russ, with all of these friendly faces and acquaintances showing up, it feels a little like a Hurricane Reunion. I congratulate you on selecting your options well. I am a little envious of that build/shop space that you are sporting in the backdrop of your photos.

The boxes/crates, the aluminum fuel tank, the Billboards, the IRS, the seamless gelcoat body... the quality is a surprise only to those unfamiliar with Steve, Mike, Dusty, and the Hurricane Family. Those looking to shop can stop by Scranton Manufacturing Corporation, Inc. to see the full scope of tooling available to Hurricane's production facility.

Though you went with IRS, I am still pretty stoked with how bullet proof my modified Detroit Locker equipped Ford 9" is. I am running 3.46 gears

You will be plenty happy with your Craft Racing 408w. When Bob comes down, he can fill you in on how this powerplant works for me (I don't believe he is still using his neck brace). Did you go with steel flywheel or something lighter from Keith?

Welcome and enjoy the combined braintrust.

PS - Speaking of Hurricane Reunions, we are beginning chatter about the Texas Cobra Meet coming in San Marcos, March 2012.
John -- We met last TCC at Harris Hill. You were with Ken Walker at the time.

Appreciate the comments on the garage. It's a 3 car with the Hurricane on one side, mama's car in the middle and my tools/workbench on the other side.

Yes, I went with a RAM steel flywheel. Plus RAM clutch and Quicktime bellhousing (RM-6060 without the bottom flange). Nothing too radical. Got a Forte clutch slave bracket also (different than what he shows on his website) that fits/operates great.

BTW, Bobby must have recovered. He wasn't wearing the neckbrace. We had a great time and also a great time with Steve on the Riverwalk.

Looking forward to the next TCC. Might even have Steve convinced to come down this year.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by double-rr View Post
Looking forward to the next TCC. Might even have Steve convinced to come down this year.
Beware if he invites you back to his room for a nightcap. You'll need some Tylenol the next day.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I held my own with him down on the Riverwalk Saturday nite. Had to get up early Sunday to get the BBQ pit cranked up too. No Tylenol required.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's the installation of the new aluminum fuel tank. The previous design used a plastic fuel tank that needed modification to move the fill tube and other mods. Apparently, alot of problems with sealing the plastic tank. The aluminum tank mounts with flanges on each side.

Here's the tank.

The fuel sender was straight forward. Followed the directions to shorten the arm and set the depth. There is an offset in the bolt pattern so only one way to install the sender.

I mounted the tank directly to the angle brackets on the frame. Used 10 each 5/16" bolts with locking nuts. All grade 8. With 5 bolts each side, shouldn't be a problem. If anyone sees an issue with hard mounting the tank, please let me know. Hurricane recommended that the tank be hard mounted and also provided the tank straps if anyone wanted to use them.

Here's how it is bolted to the frame on the passenger side.

And the driver side.

The new tank has two -8 AN male connections welded one to the top front corner and one to the bottom front corner. You can use it with an electric fuel pump for EFI with the bottom one used for supply and the top for return. I chose to use a mechanical fuel pump and only using the bottom connection. Capped the top one. Hurricane provided 1/2" aluminum tubing for the fuel line.

Also, there is a 1/4" NPT boss welded at the top for a vent. Hurricane supplied a hose and vent with roll over valve for that.

The tank had internal baffles you could see in the fuel sender hole.

The aluminum fuel tank is a nice improvement.