21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2015, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Supercharged LS3. Factory Five MarkII Dart Blocked 410 Stroker.
Not Ranked     
Default Blown LS3 Build

Hi all. New to this site but have been surfing it for a while. Started a new Shell Valley build and thought I would share my info. Started off the build with a Shell Valley car this time. Ordered the car with suspension, Willwood brakes, brake lines, chrome roll bar, lights and wiring. I also am using there LS engine mounts and Headers. The engine and transmission was out of a 2012 camaro, also the computer was yanked from the same car. I installed the Night Fury cam and supercharger to the engine while it was still out of the car. Lots of little bits and pieces that have to be custom made to make it all fit and functional. I will post some pix and stages of the build later. Fun project to tackle. My wife's cobra is a Factory five car with a carbureted Dart blocked 410 stroker.
GVS and TLHanna like this.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Supercharged LS3. Factory Five MarkII Dart Blocked 410 Stroker.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrupinski View Post
Hi all. New to this site but have been surfing it for a while. Started a new Shell Valley build and thought I would share my info. Started off the build with a Shell Valley car this time. Ordered the car with suspension, Willwood brakes, brake lines, chrome roll bar, lights and wiring. I also am using there LS engine mounts and Headers. The engine and transmission was out of a 2012 camaro, also the computer was yanked from the same car. I installed the Night Fury cam and supercharger to the engine while it was still out of the car. Lots of little bits and pieces that have to be custom made
to make it all fit and functional. I will post some pix and stages of the build later. Fun project to tackle. My wife's cobra is a Factory five car with a carbureted Dart blocked 410 stroker.
A couple of pics. Will post more later.
Attached Images

NewYorkGuy likes this.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

That's cool. What kind of power does that engine produce?

Thanks for posting. I hope your thread doesn't devolve into yet another discussion of Chevy drivetrains in a Cobra.
bruin_d likes this.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post

Thanks for posting. I hope your thread doesn't devolve into yet another discussion of Chevy drivetrains in a Cobra.
Amen brother.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post

My camaro put down 680's at the wheels with same setup. So a conservative tune should be 650 wheel and 600? Torque. It's all good on the Chevy stuff. I built my wife's Cobra with a Ford engine. Honestly HP to dollar u just can't beat an LS3 with a supercharger. It will probably get over 20 mpg cruising. Should be a handful.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell Blown LS1
Not Ranked     

Good luck with the build.
Awesome combination
Here's mine !!
Old 01-16-2015, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrupinski View Post
My camaro put down 680's at the wheels with same setup. So a conservative tune should be 650 wheel and 600? Torque.
Yep, that'll get 'er done.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb View Post
Good luck with the build.
Awesome combination
Here's mine !!
That's a very clean setup u got there. What kind of power?
Old 01-19-2015, 03:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I like it, Very clean setup. What kinda power u getting out of your setup?
Old 01-19-2015, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell Blown LS1
Not Ranked     

It's an LS1 running about 4lb of boost with a Lunati hot rod style cam which is not ideal for a blown setup but it sounds like a cobra should.
It's putting out around 550 HP at the flywheel.
Cheers
Old 01-20-2015, 02:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This was the engine after cam springs and supercharger. In back background is the TR6060 trtransmission out of the 2012 camaro. You can see the low mount alternator, it would not clear the frame and had to be moved to the top of the engine. If I didn't install the supercharger I could have just purchased a new upper bracket. None of the off the shelf brackets will fit due to the throttle body being upside down on the supercharger. I had to make a custom bracket for it and also move the idler pulleys to the bottom. All worked out and the same drive belt was able to be used.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2015, 02:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Next was the transmission. McLeod makes an adapter fitting for the throw out bearing. It is an o ring fitting held in with a clip and is setup for a 4an braided line. A 3/4 bore master cylinder was used and all worked perfect. Pedal pressure is light and clutch dissengages nicely. For as big as the transmission is it fit great in the tunnel with not mods. The stock mount fit the shell valley cross member perfect. I used the stock Camaro shifter, it mounts to the transmission and bolts to the bottom side of the tunnel. In the picture you can see the tunnel cage that was made to access the shifter bolts and we'll as make a nice straight level area for interior wrapping. A top removable cover will be used just like the ones on a Factory five car. The drive shaft was made by the Drive Shaft Shop and is just a short version of the Camaro shaft. CV joint in the front to mate to trans and a 1550 joint in the rear. I will post up pictures of it when it arrives this week.
Attached Images

Last edited by tkrupinski; 01-20-2015 at 02:53 AM.. Reason: na
Old 01-20-2015, 03:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question

Just a question that I have wondered about. I know that with a supercharger it wouldn't make as much difference as with a regular carburetor, but where people have their air intakes right behind the radiator where they get the hot air that comes through the radiator, just how much difference would it make to change it to a place where you got cool air instead?

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-20-2015, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am putting a LS3 in my Arntz and am having a problem with the alternator. I need the set-up with the alternator low, but the only kit I found is $2k. Beyond my price range for what it is. GMPP makes a lit, but the alternator is so high, I think it will hit the hood!

Just for curiosity, can you take the whole shifter assembly off the 6060 and mount a shifter right on the trans? I currently have a T56 with the linkage flipped and the actual shifter mounted on the inspection plate about 12" from the bellhousing. I do not see any way of switching to the 6060 the way the shifter is mounted.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
I am putting a LS3 in my Arntz and am having a problem with the alternator. I need the set-up with the alternator low, but the only kit I found is $2k. Beyond my price range for what it is. GMPP makes a lit, but the alternator is so high, I think it will hit the hood!

Just for curiosity, can you take the whole shifter assembly off the 6060 and mount a shifter right on the trans? I currently have a T56 with the linkage flipped and the actual shifter mounted on the inspection plate about 12" from the bellhousing. I do not see any way of switching to the 6060 the way the shifter is mounted.
Core shifters makes a top mount shifter for the 6060. You remove the top plate that holds the shift rod and it installs in its place. It was to far forward for the cobra thats why I used the stock one.
joyridin' and GVS like this.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Just a question that I have wondered about. I know that with a supercharger it wouldn't make as much difference as with a regular carburetor, but where people have their air intakes right behind the radiator where they get the hot air that comes through the radiator, just how much difference would it make to change it to a place where you got cool air instead?

Ron
Its a huge difference. This car is so light and so much power that the hot air is not going to be noticable at all. If it was a 3500lb car I would move it for sure. The roots type blowers produce high intake temps, so for max performance it should be out front in fresh air.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Drive Shaft Shop got the shaft done and it fit great. They use a CV style joint on the front to mount to the TR6060 and a 1350 joint to mate to the nine inch rear. CV will move in and out for wheel travel and hopefully be vibration free. Some pics.
Attached Images

Last edited by tkrupinski; 01-22-2015 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: na
Old 01-22-2015, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, SBF 351w (463 CI)
Not Ranked     

Nice build!
Old 01-31-2015, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLDRIVE View Post
Nice build!
Thanks. All the wiring is done and everything seems to be working including the ECU. Made a bracket to mount the drive by wire pedal and a clutch stop. Now onto the brakes. Calipers are mounted and hopefully I will have brake lines installed and and brake working this weekend. Wheel should be here in a couple of weeks and then off to the Dyno for tuning.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2015, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Finished the fuel tank and lines. Mounted catch can and plumbed the radiator. Tuner is supposed to make house call next weekend so we can fire it up.
Attached Images