Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2018, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

When they built my car in 2015/2016, the chassis was ready first and they were behind on the bodies. It sounds like that is now reversed.

My car took 14 months plus paint time. It sounds like it is now taking longer. I guess Peter favors a backlog over adding personnel.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #829, Ford 427
Not Ranked     

Thanks... agree Chris, sounds like the wait is moving to a longer period. Only saving grace is I am doing the paint work local on the body so I won’t have that wait to deal with.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 FE Shelby aluminum block, dual quads on Dove high rise, 5speed Tremec
Not Ranked     

My deposit was June 2016 number 815 and I’m cool with waiting since this is my third car from ERA. Spring of 2019 is realistic and fine with me. I’m in the snow belt anyway. Good luck with your build. You are making some great choices. It is true that there is much fun in the build and anticipation of progress and completion.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:56 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuy427 View Post
My deposit was June 2016 number 815 and I’m cool with waiting since this is my third car from ERA. Spring of 2019 is realistic and fine with me. I’m in the snow belt anyway. Good luck with your build. You are making some great choices. It is true that there is much fun in the build and anticipation of progress and completion.
Wait a minute, June '16 to spring of '19 is closer to three years. I think it's time ERA expanded their output facilities.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 FE Shelby aluminum block, dual quads on Dove high rise, 5speed Tremec
Not Ranked     

The first car I did was completed in 97 and as I remember it took about two years, and was a complete turnkey. My second turn key car was finished in 2004 and also took about two years, to the best of my recollection. Actually, I think the second car was two years and a few months as it was a bit more complicated. Part of it is just timing I think and I am in no hurry. My drive season is pretty much May to September so have a limited window. No sense pushing a build to receive the car in December, at least in my thinking. Gives me something to look forward to besides the trees turning green next spring.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just another update, 9 months has flown by and busy as ever so the waiting isn’t that bad ... Brent is still busy finding parts and my BBM 427 FE SO block arrived the other month. Seeing if the moons align so I can attend the ERA Christmas Party. Would be great to meet other members and check out the current cars being built. Was last at ERA in 1994!
Old 11-26-2018, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#375, FE 428, 1966 block, built by Jim Coleman Racing Engines, Stratford, CT
Not Ranked     

What is the status of your build now as far as ERA is concerned...? Has the frame been built? The body molded? Back in 1992 when mine was built, it was done in about 14 months total painted, engine installed. I wonder what has happened at ERA to extend the time period from order to finished product? When I am at the Xmas party this year I might ask. May also order a set of the new seats for #375 which has the original style fiberglass framed seats.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nothing yet other than my deposit, lots of cars being built by photos guys have shared so guessing business is really good. Peter has been super helpful throughout the process. If I do make the party let’s meet up... I was there in 1994, will bring along the photos.... sat in a GT40... now that was cool!
Old 11-27-2018, 02:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#375, FE 428, 1966 block, built by Jim Coleman Racing Engines, Stratford, CT
Not Ranked     

It would be great if you could make it up to the ERA Xmas party from PA. Weather permitting. We seem to have been getting some precipitation about every 3 to 4 days here for the last month (in fact it is down pouring outside as I type). It is always nice to see Peter, Bob and Doug. I remember when ERA used to squeeze out one or two ERA GT40's. Those headers were a fantastic testament to professional welding skill, and the total number of parts that went into the chassis was incredible. Hopefully will see you there in a few weeks.
Art
Old 02-18-2019, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I am sitting around on my day off reading the big cobra registry and cruising through my assembly manual I got when I put my deposit down. So as of Feb 19, 2019, it will be 1 yr down. Figured I would call ERA later this week to see when my wait time will be turning into build time. Very excited to get to the next step but then again good things come to those who wait. Haha

Rob
Old 03-26-2019, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Last night (3/25/19), I received an email my chassis is off to be powder coated and my next deposit is due. Getting closer
cobra likes this.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Congrats! Four days after receiving mine, the waiting is a vague memory ;-)
Old 07-06-2019, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got a call on 7/2/19 that the build of my car will be starting soon.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 713 427 stroker 468ci
Not Ranked     

Its a long wait but very much worth it.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got the call, check #3 is due.... Progress is nice! I keep getting phone calls and always nice to joke around with Peter.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

When do you think you will get final delivery?

John
Old 08-15-2019, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Looks like a great build...
My car is almost idenical to yours for the exception of the motor... I have a CSX block.

A few obsevations and advice that you can ignor if you want LOL.

1) The mechanical Smith speedo I have had issues with the plastic gear wearing out. I would do the electronic version of the smiths speedo as the Tremmic tranny has an output for this.
2) I strongly recomend using an ARP oil shaft, its a weak link in an FE
3) I have had issues with te carter mech fuel pump and have had great results with the edelbrock.
4) I have had a Tilton superstarter for 14 years with zero issues, its a nicer unit that the Powermaster, more money though.
5) do the heater!!!!!! easy to install now but a majot PITA later and its only $250
Old 08-16-2019, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input Mike. I have been waffling on the heater and haven’t been thinking I should do it.

The body is being worked, the chassis is being worked on so everything is coming along nicely. Excited to see if I will see it before the 2 yr mark. Mind you I am having the painting done locally so I won’t have that time delay.

Rob
Old 08-21-2019, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got two pictures yesterday from ERA, the body and frame have taken up residency next to the GT40. Things are progressing.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I decide to go with Avon CR6ZZ tires, they are in route to ERA this week and I am looking forward to seeing more photos from Peter.... I got the call today, they are done with it! Time to pay up and figure out when I can go get it. Then once it is home, I will get things ready for my local paint shop, then I will do the final work to get it ready for the drivetrain install once it comes back painted.

Rob

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: