Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Cobra Build Logs (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/)
-   -   CSX 6079 build (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/142810-csx-6079-build.html)

xb-60 03-04-2020 10:18 PM

Mike,

I've seen Mando's engine, and the Morrison cross-ram setup is a work of art! :D

Cheers,
Glen

ERA 626 03-06-2020 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mando s (Post 1472928)
Mike,
it took a lot of work to get it running properly.
The car always had a habit of hunting, especially when going around roundabouts not accelerating, and when trying to stick to one speed.
If you were accelerating it wasn't a problem.
First issue is that I bought a MSD alternator which starts charging at around 1600 RPM.
The tuner told me the alternator had to start charging from idle and up through the rev range for him to be able to tune the car properly.
The alternator in the pictures is the new one which is a Ford unit.
It looks like an easy swap but it took a lot of work.

The other thing the tuner wanted was to replace the wheel the accelerator cable attaches to with one that was a snail shape.
It was a hell of a job to get the design of the snail right, which was a little know how and some luck. Once made, I can't begin to tell you how hard it was to adapt the new wheel to the existing cradle with stops in new positions.
The purpose of this new wheel was ... I hope you understand what I'm trying to describe ... is that for around the first third of depressing the pedal the linkages would travel less than with the original wheel thus reducing the hunting.
After that first third of travel the wheel and the linkages would return to their original relationship.
After installing the new wheel, the accelerator cable was shortened by approximately 1 inch or 25 mm.
It still hunts a little sometimes but it has improved by 90% from where I started.

I don't know if I'm right, but I put my problem down to the Morrison Injection really being for "racing" and not so much for street.

I don't know a lot about cars, but when I saw the Morrison cross ram injection, I liked the look and bought it.
I never thought it would be so much trouble to

make the distributor post
set up the crank trigger
because the crank trigger adjustment was on the right hand side of the motor I made the triangle bracket to take the alternator on the left hand side adapting the bolt points to the water pump.
I made a vacuum block and installed it near the firewall with pick ups under each runner, running back to the vacuum block. You can see the runners in one of the pictures.
Any one of this issues wouldn't have been a problem but it just seemed like it was one thing after another.
I don't think I would have had any where the same work if I had bought a regular 8 stack system.

Regards Mando.

well, time will tell as I am in month 10 of waiting for a manifold... I have a good friend of mine who has designed and tuned a few of morrisions manifolds. With out him I would have done an 8 stack for sure. I have already wired the car for EFI via a megasquirt. We will be designing the entire motor around the morrision cross ram, the porting of the heads the cam profile to make it tune able (from what I am being told.) this will be the only FE morrision Cross ram in existence. I am very much looking forward to it. My friend has one in his Pantera and I need to say it is very impressive.

ERA 626 03-06-2020 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mando s (Post 1472928)
Mike,
it took a lot of work to get it running properly.
The car always had a habit of hunting, especially when going around roundabouts not accelerating, and when trying to stick to one speed.
If you were accelerating it wasn't a problem.
First issue is that I bought a MSD alternator which starts charging at around 1600 RPM.
The tuner told me the alternator had to start charging from idle and up through the rev range for him to be able to tune the car properly.
The alternator in the pictures is the new one which is a Ford unit.
It looks like an easy swap but it took a lot of work.

The other thing the tuner wanted was to replace the wheel the accelerator cable attaches to with one that was a snail shape.
It was a hell of a job to get the design of the snail right, which was a little know how and some luck. Once made, I can't begin to tell you how hard it was to adapt the new wheel to the existing cradle with stops in new positions.
The purpose of this new wheel was ... I hope you understand what I'm trying to describe ... is that for around the first third of depressing the pedal the linkages would travel less than with the original wheel thus reducing the hunting.
After that first third of travel the wheel and the linkages would return to their original relationship.
After installing the new wheel, the accelerator cable was shortened by approximately 1 inch or 25 mm.
It still hunts a little sometimes but it has improved by 90% from where I started.

I don't know if I'm right, but I put my problem down to the Morrison Injection really being for "racing" and not so much for street.

I don't know a lot about cars, but when I saw the Morrison cross ram injection, I liked the look and bought it.
I never thought it would be so much trouble to

make the distributor post
set up the crank trigger
because the crank trigger adjustment was on the right hand side of the motor I made the triangle bracket to take the alternator on the left hand side adapting the bolt points to the water pump.
I made a vacuum block and installed it near the firewall with pick ups under each runner, running back to the vacuum block. You can see the runners in one of the pictures.
Any one of this issues wouldn't have been a problem but it just seemed like it was one thing after another.
I don't think I would have had any where the same work if I had bought a regular 8 stack system.

Regards Mando.

what is the reason for the vacuum block? is that the black can on your fire wall?

ERA 626 04-02-2020 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I needed to re work myheaders to work with the correct motor placement. After several tweeks, they Fit!!!

ERA 626 04-09-2020 07:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
OK so the motor build begins, this will be a 482.
Blueprint the crank shaft, Start measuring the lifter bores, the cylinder bores. etc.

ERA 626 04-09-2020 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
more photos

6TNCRZY 04-10-2020 10:47 AM

That block is a work of art !

ERA 626 04-10-2020 11:49 AM

yes Bill Denbeste does a great job...But they are BIG $$$$

tkb289 04-15-2020 12:53 AM

Hi Mike,

Just read through your build log, looks like a wonderful build and you are putting together one impressive CSX. Your experience with your ERA and fabrication skills will really help with this project. The Bill Denbeste collection was quite impressive, especially the wall of Cobras. I will follow your project with great interest.

- Tim

ERA 626 05-09-2020 04:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ordered pistons, started the head porting process, We will get 11.25/1 compression ratio. Neil the guy helping me with my build has 45 years experience building FEs. He is teaching me. Also delivered all my exhaust components to the ceramic coating shop in Belmont CA, he is about 3 weeks out...

BigGuy 05-09-2020 05:10 PM

ERA 626. In your post #.26. It shows your plaque just north of the shifter.
Having restored my CSX4000 and I Have yet to reinstalled the plaque.

what is the measurement from the shifter base bensel to the plaque?

I like the look of your placement of the plaque in your CSX...... you’re car looks great,

Well done!!!

Thanks,

xb-60 05-09-2020 06:06 PM

Mike, the pictures look great. They tell the story!
I look forward to the updates.

Cheers,
Glen

ERA 626 05-14-2020 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGuy (Post 1476250)
ERA 626. In your post #.26. It shows your plaque just north of the shifter.
Having restored my CSX4000 and I Have yet to reinstalled the plaque.

what is the measurement from the shifter base bensel to the plaque?

I like the look of your placement of the plaque in your CSX...... you’re car looks great,

Well done!!!

Thanks,

I had not decided on the placement of the plaque, its just sitting there in the photo. I ended up installing it on the dash...

Gaz64 05-19-2020 11:38 PM

You might know this already, but take all the sharp edges off, combustion chamber and top of pistons.
Gary

ERA 626 05-20-2020 04:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We are making a custom alternator/pulley set up for CSX 6079, The black material in the photo is peg board material for a mock up. We are trying to get Jones to make this for us, as they have not made one for an FE. If I cant find some one to make this bracket I may Lean on David Kirkham to make me one with his wonderfull water jet. The final version will be billet aluminum. I also will order a denso style alternator, the cheap Power master is for mock up only....

feadam 05-21-2020 12:02 AM

any pictures of the cross ram yet? Just curious, have you seen the cross ram jay brown is making on fe power forum?

6TNCRZY 05-21-2020 07:42 PM

I'm interested in the small block with the Gurney Westlake heads, what it the story with that engine?

ERA 626 05-22-2020 11:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The gurney westlake motor is going into a GT eventually, but for now its on a home made bad ass run stand going into a man cave.

ERA 626 05-22-2020 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feadam (Post 1476982)
any pictures of the cross ram yet? Just curious, have you seen the cross ram jay brown is making on fe power forum?

no I have not... please send me a link.

jolsen42 05-22-2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERA 626 (Post 1477103)
The gurney westlake motor is going into a GT eventually, but for now its on a home made bad ass run stand going into a man cave.

Oh my, that is erotic! Just beautiful. :3DSMILE:

John O


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the clubcobra.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Shelby American, any other replica manufacturer, Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by clubcobra.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Ford Motor Company, or Shelby American or any other manufacturer unless expressly noted by that entity. "Cobra" and the Cobra logo are registered trademarks for Ford Motor Co., Inc. clubcobra.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting clubcobra.com. For full policy documentation refer to the following link: