Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2021, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2410
Not Ranked     
Default CSX2410 - from Barn to Concourse

We're finally to a point that I think it would be good to start a build log for CSX2410 restoration which is being completed by Vintage Motorcar Company in Inwood, WV. I will give fair warning, but I tend to get very heavy into the details so the posts will be long, but hopefully informative. The whereabouts of this car have been unknown by the Cobra community since 1972, during which time it has been owned and stored by my father in law. In July 2021 after quite a bit of discussion with my wife and him, we unearthed the car to determine a path forward to bring it back to it's former glory. In general, the car has been sitting since he pulled the car home on October 3rd, 1973 behind his Mercury Cougar until September 28, 2021 when VMC came to pickup the car to start the restoration.

The plan for the car is to restore it back to original Shelby America specification at a concourse level. We plan to restore as much of the original parts as possible, utilizing NOS or original used parts where possible, and then when needed using or making reproduction parts scrutinizing details and modifying when necessary.

If you have spare original parts which you might be interested to sell with the intent for them to be used in the correct rebuild of a CSX2000 series car, please contact me.

Dan Case, 1985 CCX, LMH and 4 others like this.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

History
CSX2410 was originally Princess Blue with Red Interior and Class “A” Accessories to include white side wall tires and luggage rack, antifreeze, radio, and antenna
- 1964, September 18 – Invoiced to Universal Motor Co, Richmond, VA
- 1965, June – Universal Motor Co wrote to Shelby America asking for help selling a Cobra which they had in inventory since October and requested tax refund similar to being offered on other Ford vehicles.
- 1965 – An unknown original purchaser, a doctor who only briefly owned the vehicle before realizing a Cobra wasn’t the car for him
- 1965 – William Currence Jr traded a 1966 GTO plus cash to the original owner for the car
- 1966 – Car involved in minor fender bender, repainted Guardsman Blue during repair
- 1967, Late – The car was wrecked causing significant damage ruining the body and ultimately being the last time the car was driving
- *unknown events, was potentially sold amongst family and friends of William Currence Jr as noted by William*
- 1971, October 15 – Title reissued back to William Currence Jr
- 1972, August 19 – Purchased by Samuel Peoples Jr for $2600. Condition at time of purchase was non-running, fairly complete with fiberglass body. After owning the car for about a year, and only removing the fiberglass body, engine, and trans, Sam had decided the car was going to be a significant amount of work and didn’t have the time amongst other projects.
- 1973, October 3 – Current owner purchased the car from Samuel Peoples Jr from an ad in the Aliquippa newspaper for $3,000. The car was flat towed home behind the new owners Mercury Cougar back home.
- *The car was moved between home garages and then placed in an enclosed trailer in the late 1990s*
- 2021, July 4 – CSX2410 was uncovered from its storage place in an enclosed trailer where it had sat for the last ~23 years. Initial investigation and inventory pictures taken to embark on a restoration.
- 2021, September 28 – After reviewing several shops, the car was picked up by John Bassler and the team at Vintage Motorcar Company to start the restoration

During the time while CSX2410 was roadworthy, some modifications were made to include Shelby America Belanger drag race headers and rear Koni Special D Shocks (March 1965 date code). With these modifications, William Currence Jr regularly auto-crossed the car around WV.

1985 CCX, tkb289 and MAStuart like this.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Initial State
While the body is missing, the car is disassembled, and the panels look rough, CSX2410 has maintained a significant portion of its original components and hardware. Luckily, as parts were removed in the late 60s, whoever disassembled did a fairly good job of reinstalling or tying parts together to keep that hard to find original British hardware with components.

The engine long block documents as original to the car, including correct 1964 C4OE-B cylinder heads and C5OE-9425-A intake. It still features it’s original sheetmetal oil pan with hap-hazard oil temp sensor installed with brazing. Most accessories are still with the car including the 3623S fuel pump with Eelco elbow, distributor, ignition coil, and others.

Blue66 and 1985 CCX like this.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

November 11th Update
Through early November, Vintage Motorcar Company has fully disassembled the car, inventoried parts, walnut shell blasted the frame, and sprayed a quick primer coat to protect it.

CSX2410 frame sitting next to CSX2125

Part of the reason for our selection of VMC is their organization and detail. Each part is bagged and tagged to not just include the where the part goes, but important details like thread type and dimensions.

A few spots have been found and cleaned up with original Princess Blue paint for sample to mix from.

1985 CCX likes this.
Old 12-22-2021, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Wow. What a gift you have provided to share this restoration story , just in time for the holidays! Thank you and good luck to you and the shop. Looking forward to reading this in the coming months.
Old 12-22-2021, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1950, Roush 402R, TKO600
Not Ranked     

I very much look forward to follow your build. It is always fantastic to see another original Cobra being brought back to life!
Old 12-22-2021, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Looking forward to following this build.
Old 12-22-2021, 08:11 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Are you planning to do the same on the saacforum for CSX2410

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 12-22-2021, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone, yes it has been quite the exciting last couple of months, and we're full steam ahead on the restoration. I'll try to continue with updates every month or so as we make some significant progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Are you planning to do the same on the saacforum for CSX2410

Bill S.
Just created the post over on SAAC as well. Trying to juggle a few different things at the same time. I'm keeping a word document with the posts as an overall timeline log of the build as well.
Old 12-22-2021, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Some of the best cobra pictures I have seen on this site. I like good detail pictures ! For some of us it would be hard to give us too much detail!

Mark
Old 12-22-2021, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

December 22nd Update

One thing that will probably never stop is the continuous searching and sourcing of original correct parts. Quite a few key pieces that were missing have been sourced, with the most critical being the body which was ordered through David Kirkham and is currently en-route across the Atlantic.

A few other parts so far include a spare Motorola 324-TC which will be used along with a Cobra radio purchased from Dave Wagner to ensure we have a working original accessory. While the radio is basically useless, it does offer and interesting talking point and was originally optioned to the car.

We were lucky to locate a spare C3OF-12127-D distributor with matching date code 3MB to our original which had been found by someone who purchased a storage unit at auction. This particular distributor looks to have seen very little use and still had its original FoMoCo cap installed.

While the bigger work of frame and body repair is being completed, we’re working concurrently to start the restoration of some of the smaller accessories to have them ready during reassembly. One of the first items is the gauges. 2410 was missing its speedometer and had an incorrect oil pressure gauge installed, but all other gauges remained. A NOS Stewart Warner D-353-Z oil pressure sender and a spare Stewart Warner D-362-N temp sender were sourced to complete the full package. As you can see in the picture a comparison of the original 362-Y versus the replacement 362-N temp sender. The steel nut 362-Y are near impossible to find and while we have both originals from oil and coolant temp for 2410, the oil temp sender has been damaged and while we navigate its repair we wanted to ensure we have a backup plan. The 362-N sender with slight modification can be made to appear and operate the same as original.

1985 CCX likes this.
Old 12-22-2021, 08:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

What a wonderful way to document and share the story and restoration of an original 289 Cobra. Will be following this thread with great interest and thank you so much for taking the time and effort to do this.
PJ UPTMOR likes this.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Fantastic! I’m really looking forward to this restoration! Thanks for posting this!
Larry
Old 12-22-2021, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The speedometer could be a difficult one to find. If one doesn’t turn up, having a more modern gauge altered with the original needle and face is an option. That’s what I had done for my gauges. Just an fyi!
Larry
Old 12-22-2021, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
The speedometer could be a difficult one to find. If one doesn’t turn up, having a more modern gauge altered with the original needle and face is an option. That’s what I had done for my gauges. Just an fyi!
Larry
Thanks Larry, do you have some information on the one you had built?

I'm currently working with Chris Schlaff who specializes in SW restoration and had discussed with him on building one from a couple SW gauges to make as correct as possible. Some details to include the speed font size on the screen print, location of the face screws, and the white background with black text odometer with no tenths.
Old 12-22-2021, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpace View Post
Thanks Larry, do you have some information on the one you had built?

I'm currently working with Chris Schlaff who specializes in SW restoration and had discussed with him on building one from a couple SW gauges to make as correct as possible. Some details to include the speed font size on the screen print, location of the face screws, and the white background with black text odometer with no tenths.
Joey at Mo-Ma Manufacturing rebuilt/modified my speedometer and tachometer. The tach is set up for convential hook up to the coil, not through a tach sender.
Joey had the correct stencil for the speedometer.

Larry

ALF and 1985 CCX like this.
Old 12-22-2021, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Wow, what a story!!! Will watch this with eager anticipation.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Now this is a great thread.................. Merry Christmas early
Old 12-22-2021, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Thank you for sharing your great story so far, and looking forward to see the restoration as it happens.
You mentioned that you will be restoring to the original Shelby American specification ..... does this mean it will be Princess Blue?

Cheers!
Glen
Old 12-22-2021, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Thank you for sharing your great story so far, and looking forward to see the restoration as it happens.
You mentioned that you will be restoring to the original Shelby American specification ..... does this mean it will be Princess Blue?

Cheers!
Glen
Yes, current plans are Princess Blue, red interior, luggage rack, radio with antenna, white side walls, and silver painted wheels.
Blue66, rads42, tkb289 and 2 others like this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: