23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2005, 11:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33868 Sold. Just "playin' the boards now."
Not Ranked     

Long time since I visited. Right on with the comment about McCluskey. Haven't talked to him for several years, but in Cobra restorations, he's definitely "it."

As I understood it at the time, he and Carroll Shelby agreed to disagree with regard to his building of the continuation cars. At the time Shelby was "donating the money to his heart fund." The cars were priced at about $500K. Some, not many, were sold at that number.

It's a good thing a site like this exists. The expertise here, combined with SAAC can be quite definitive.

Best,

Al
Old 05-13-2005, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

hmmm Daytona 500 ??? Now that would be interesting

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 05-13-2005, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Several
Not Ranked     

Perhaps after the fact (and just before the CA Department of Consumer Frauds investigation), McCluskey agreed to give CS deniable cover.

CS (or agents representing him) sold them, but maybe McCluskey never said they were original himself, but maybe only what he was asked to do. Perhaps McCluskey never misrepresented anything directly himself.

CSX 3058 found its way back into the USA at least by last fall and was purported auctioned perhaps in January. Does anyone have the facts, including the current location and the reported price?

Don't tell anybody, but i bot new the 'other' CSX 3058, made by AC Cars Limited in the early 90's. i mention this because this was one of the cars that caused AC Cars Limited to have a conniption when they found out CS was mis-representing his 'continuation' cars as Genuine AC Cars Limited 'left-over' chassis. See delivery photo below.

Of course, we all know and knew at the time that they were all McCluskey sourced, mostly due to the excellent and accurate reproduction; which at least says something for McCluskey.

The gentle reader can conclude just what on his own, without my kabitzing.

Any thoughts, anyone?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington

Last edited by What'saCobra?; 12-18-2008 at 04:35 PM..
Old 05-13-2005, 08:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

Not to hi-jack but..

It is known that the continuation cars cannot be licensed or titled in California for street ues. What about other states? I remember one of them crossing the stage at B-J with a Oklahoma tags on it.

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 05-13-2005, 09:22 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

I thought that the continuation cars were being sold for off road use only, the same as the contiunation coupes (except for ones built from original roadsters).
Old 05-13-2005, 09:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't know abut other states, but they would be no problem registering them here in Hawaii.

Our new "Cobra Law" (what WE call it) encompasses just about any kind of "replica" built to resemble a car from 1967 and back. Replica Lambos, Ferraris even Dune Buggies, bring 'em on.

Last edited by Excaliber; 05-13-2005 at 09:31 AM..
Old 05-13-2005, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

<...Sometimes these threads are just down right fun to read...>

you got that right!

Back in late '66, I was in school in Milwaukee...and had a street 427 #3208. My classmates used to call it the Red Lemon. One day it was in for something (always something) at Northwestern Ford there in Milwaukee. While walking around and waiting, I noticed they had up on a pedestal a new 'blue with white stripe' 427 SC for sale for $8700 or thereabouts. Chatting with another customer, an older guy, I can remember him raving at how outlandish the price was...and then how crazy he thought I was when I told him he ought to buy it and just put it in a storage container. One of the few truly smart thoughts I had back then at such a tender age...

:>)
Old 05-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The reason the "continuation" or "lost cars" can not be licensed in Calif. is because they were built as complete,turnkey cars by SAI in the 90's and did not meet the EPA and crash test regs of the 90's.........other states may or may not let them be legally licensed for street use,depends on each state's interpitation of the car I guess,but I would rather not have to find out that I can not drive my 1/2 million dollar car on the road once I got it home...........I do know one guy that had put down a deposit on one of these cars and after the state of Calif. got wind of things and stated they were for off-road use only,he asked for and got his deposit back,was very disappointed in the CS "portrayed" these cars as "lost or found" cars................

David
Old 05-13-2005, 11:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The same reasoning applies today to the new cars being built as well. IF a dealer provides a totally "turn key" car, especially one using a complete Shelby engine in a Shelby car, you could have a problem registering it.

Best have your engine assembled, purchased, from a separate source.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

sdcobra:

You should have followed your own advice and held on to 3202, just as I should have kept 3121. While not in the price range of original SCs, the "street" cars are pushing a half mil today.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

marco

isn't that the case for many of us! I knew the cars would be something special, even then...but the Nav called and I answered.
On the other hand, that car was so damn dangerous...wheels coming loose, clutches failing, etc...that I probably would have met my maker long before now. That car had a 428 which didn't run well then, and having since had a contemp w/SO motor...well, no comparison between the two. Back in those days, we had a bunch of cobra owners who rather regularly met up at Elkhart Lake to attend the races, and each time there seemed to be one who didn't show...usually because he had crashed somewhere. Dangerous cars, especially for a punk kid like I was :>)
Old 05-13-2005, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

We had an active Cobra bunch in the early 70s, meeting a couple of times a year at my house in NJ. Beer and street racing, and over a three year period, we only wrecked one Cobra and managed to avoid killing anyone. You may want to take a look at some of the old pics in my gallery.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Damm punk kids !! BUT it was fun wasn't it

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 05-16-2005, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     

Great shots from the 70's, thanks. It sure looks like CSX3002 (roll bar & dash), did they replace the windshield and turn it back to a street car in 1974? Interesting......
Old 05-31-2005, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Rolling Thunder
Not Ranked     
Default CSX3002

I'm not sure what was done to the car in '74, but as of now it is in it's original configuration and residing in Cincinnati, OH, in a 'Private Collection.'

It will be on display in Cincinnati on June 12, along with the Type 65 427 coupe, and several other original cars, at the Arthritis Foundation Concours d'Elegance. The featured marque this year is Shelby American. Here's a link if anyone is interested and can attend:

http://www.cincyconcours.com/
Old 06-06-2005, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA,302 Crate,Holley 600cfm
Not Ranked     

"McCluskey never said they were original himself,"

I find it Interesting that the flyer that is linked to the Banner ad for the Shelby Children's fund car uses the term "Original"

Scott

HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE: This product contains minute electrically charged particles moving at velocities in excess of five hundred million miles per hour