28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2006, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Ok ready to buy, whats the best?

Hi friends,
I am ready to buy a cobra. But whats the best kit out there?
Looking for a 427, with a 427 sideoiler, 9 inch rear, 4 speed toploader, softtop with side curtians. Looking to spend 35-40K
is that unreasonable. Whats you take on this?:
Old 10-22-2006, 08:10 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by giveme123
Hi friends,
Looking for a 427, with a 427 sideoiler, 9 inch rear, 4 speed toploader, softtop with side curtians. Looking to spend 35-40K
Totally unreasonable. A good 427 sideoiler by itself is easily $20k, before you put it in something

That being said, there are always 1st posts like yours that should get you steered in the right direction with regards to what you can afford and where to look for it.

Best of luck in your search.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't own one yet
Not Ranked     

You mention "the best". Best at what? What do you want to do with the car? Drag race, Autocross, daily cruiser? You want more original in appearance?

There are tons of cars for $35-40k, you'll just have to sacrifice somethings (mainly the engine).

Have you seen this site? There are plenty of Cobras for sale there.
http://www.cobracountry.com/home2.html
Old 10-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

123:
I have a feeling you're very new to all of this. In the end you'll buy a 390 which you'll think is a 427SO.

Bob
Old 10-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Not if he hangs on Club Cobra and learns about what to look for!

A 427 is one thing, 428 are more common. A 427 SIDE OILER is the 'holy grail', difficult to identify and hard to find.

Usually found only in the 'up-scale' replicas, such as Kirkham, ERA, etc. THESE cars generally sell for more than $40K.

And why would you want a 9" rear? OK, maybe because it's stronger than a 8.8? A side oiler will generally come in a car more 'period correct' than the average replica and will almost certainly have Independant Rear Suspension (IRS). Which, in my opinion, is far better than a live axle, and certainly more correct.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

this car is a good buy in my opinion
http://cobracountry.com/cobra4salefo...ham-ga-BIG.jpg
Old 10-22-2006, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

even a better buy
http://cobracountry.com/cobra4salefo...zaleski-nj.jpg
Old 10-22-2006, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427S/C, KC/Pond aluminum 427/482 SO, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I don't know about that X,.... I had Keith put together a brand new Side Oiler, (readily available), with enough HP/TQ to tear up an IRS, so the 9" seemed like a better choice, and all this was put in an "up-scale", "period correct", Hurricane replica. You are right about one thing though, $40K will not be enough!
Old 10-22-2006, 10:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well you can 'tear up' anything if you try hard enough!

DV tore up his 9" rear, twisted like a pretzel. Running low gears, slicks and launching at high rpm will do that.

In general the Jag IRS (VERY similiar to what the vintage Cobras ran) is strong enoug to survive serious horse power. I was running over 600 with my side oiler and the IRS held up well.

11.9 at 121 mph with those sticky Goodyear Bill Board tires, still, traction was\is remains a serious problem.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:41 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hi friends,
What are you plans for the car, road racing, drag racing, show and shine, local cruiser, daily driver, or ????? What is the best kit for you really depends on what your driving style and ultimate goal for the car is. Kind of tough to answer your question with the vague way in which it was asked.

As for the 427 Sideoiler, as stated above, you need to set your budget a little higher as in this hobby and with all of the different kits out there you do get what you pay for.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 10-22-2006, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #304, Shelby Aluminum 482 FE
Not Ranked     
Default No sweat!

Quote:
Hi friends,
You just need to make a slight adjustment. "The Best" and "35-40K" mix about as well as oil and water. You could go with an aluminum 4000 series CSX car and spend over $150,000.00 and some people would still say it was short of the best. That said, you will save money and aggravation if you buy an existing car. There are many solid Cobras available that you can drive home today for $40,000. Only two tools required, a telephone and a checkbook. Start dialing.

Chip
Old 10-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4995, Keith Craft built 427 SO
Send a message via MSN to 427SnakeSC Send a message via Yahoo to 427SnakeSC
Not Ranked     

Asking which is "best," is really subjective. What might be "best" for you may not be the "best" for someone else. It all depends on what you are looking for in the car and what you will be using it for. True, a 427 SO will set you back in the neighbourhood of $20K. For the budjet you have set out, you should be able to get into the market. Start off there, and see if you like these cars. They are not for everyone. To quote, "There is nothing nice about a Cobra. It's loud, smells like gasoline, and shakes, shudders, and bucks. It makes your arms tired and your feet hot. You nearly crash about once every 10 minutes!" After you get your feet "wet" or in the case of these cars, your first case of "snake bite", you could set your sights a little higher and go for that dream car. Good luck! Welcome to the brotherhood. Wear your "snake bite" as a badge of honor! LOL!
"The 427 Cobra is easily the highest performance car ever sold for street use. A decent 427 - not the worst, not the best, will go from zero to 100 mph and back down again to zero in less than 14 seconds. All thing considered, you can put together a pretty good argument that the 427 Cobra is the ultimate performance car, judged on any basis you want to name." Taken from; Corvette, The Sensuous American
Old 10-22-2006, 12:48 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

For 35 to 40K ... and you want a 427 ... go for a used car. Would be very tough to build that from scratch.

Good luck.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up 427fe side oiler!

This original 66' 427fe side oiler cost $26,000, installed, this summer!

A new Shelby CSX4000 roller will run $60,000-$90,000+, depending on the type of body.

You do the math.
Ugh, you did ask for the best!

jdog
P.S. Check my photo gallery for some more pic's. Good luck, you seem to have pretty high standards!

Last edited by jdog; 10-22-2006 at 10:18 PM..
Old 10-22-2006, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #139, Indigo blue, white stripes, KeithCraft 351W, 315 WHP, 17" Boyd Smoothies, dual roll bars, gunrack, assorted young females
Not Ranked     

The best buy is Gunrack, BDR #139.

A vehicle with a... colourful... history and less than 5K miles since delivery in Aug. 2004.

351W, 315+RWHP, Tremec TKO 500, assembled and installed by KCMS in Plano, TX. 17" Boyd Smoothies w/sticky Nittos, mostly de-bugged, but I can't get parts here for other small repairs! (Rural Oklahoma)

Price a new BackDraft roller, add abt. 10%, then PM me.

Drive her while you hunt down that side-oiler.

I gotta sell this car, winter's coming on, we're moving to a smaller home, my back and knee are shot, driving and even riding are... painful.

Oh! She has a heater, no top. What a cruel joke.

She has a few loose screws, but so do I.

UT
Old 10-22-2006, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I do love the www.hurricane-motorsports.com cobra's. They are period correct and have many features that are options on other cars. I will probably end up at around 45k for mine when it is all done, But I am trying to do it right. Just can't afford the SO lol
Old 10-22-2006, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't own one yet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlowman
They are period correct
I have a problem with this statement. Many people say this for several manufacturers. ERA being one of the main ones. Pop the hood and look at the frame. It is complete incorrect. For originality, I think the frame is just as important as the gauges or the engine. As least the part of the frame and suspension towers that you can see under the hood.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

For what's it worth, Hurricane has suspension towers similar to original.
Larry
Old 10-22-2006, 10:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

For me 'period correct' has more to do with you what you can readily see. All though, I really appreciate a truly well done and authentic down to the last bolt replica!

But the BIG concerns, for me, are:
Body shape, wheels, dash layout\gauges, gear shifter, seats, interior in general, steering wheel and engine. The car needs to 'look right' first and foremost. As for the myriad of other details it comes down to personal feelings. There are some things I just cannot accept on MY replica but I'd be fine with it on YOUR replica. I LIKE running a flat tappet cam, not that anyone can SEE it, but I know it's in there and thats important to me!

I certainly prefer a round tube 'correct' frame, but I wouldn't sacrafice the correct look of the body just to get one. And SOME have! Solution? Kirkham or CSX come to mind...

In the end it is good to strive for as much original detail as possible and be happy with as close as you can get within your budget.

Last edited by Excaliber; 10-22-2006 at 10:20 PM..
Old 10-22-2006, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

In my weird nature the vette LS7, 427 CDI, 505 HP, 495 FPT, Dry sump and 28 MPG with a C6 vette all duel A arm, all aluminum, suspension and transaxle 6 speed T56 and get the best of all three worlds (drooling). But like everybody else is saying big blocks are not cheep in any business, especially the legendry Ford 427. If you are going for a good handling car, or a daily driver go for a small block, keep the weight down but 0-60 will still scare the crap out of you. Show car - drag car, you’ll need that big block more to impress both crowds.
That just my opinion
aluminum good