28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2006, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Cashburn has a point and should he is a dealer. One thing that is killing all cobra replica prices is Backdraft, for what I can spend on a Superformance turnkey minus I can assemble a complete backdraft. I can also vouch for Backdraft since I owned one. I bet I could assemble a BDR with a FMS 392 for very close to what the Superformance is at right now (I like working on them as much if not more than driving them). I feel superformance is better but it is the difference between a 2500 series pickup and 1500 series pickup and I do not haul anything. I do like the extra leg room in the BDR. Looks like i have about 24 hours to make up my mind, I am sure as soon as i bid the next guy will. I played this game with a BDR last July. It had 800 miles with a FMS and I think it went for 38500 with the 17 wheels. Thanks for opening my eyes cashburn!!
Old 11-26-2006, 08:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Boy I'm glad I didn't have to make that observation madmaxx, I take enough heat around here all ready. Thanks! The market has\is changing dramatically.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:41 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx
Slojo,

What are you talking about your car may very well reach the buy it now price before the auction ends. If you see maddmaxxdog bid it is me and I only deal with cash, no loans, no let me see if I can get approval and the other load of sheet people come up with. I like yours but blue with white is not my favorite and for 40K I want my favorite. If it were silver or titanium we would have a deal, I will be watching the auction. By the time I have it shipped to Texas I will be at 41.5K put engine trans etc and I am sitting at 52k, like I said I am watching it.

You have to do what you need to do. If this is not the color for you, don't buy it, wait for the right color for you.

If it does not sell in this auction, I will turn it over to the dealer (where it is today) and ask them to sell it for me on consignment and then, the deal will change in the following ways:

1) The great deal for a new owner will be gone, since they will sell it at comparable prices as the other new cars in stock. (price will increase)
2) For me it's all the same, since I will get the same amount or better than I am trying to get here, after their commission is taken out of the selling price.
3) Drawback for me is that we'll have to more than likely wait until Spring to get a sale, but there is no reason to take more than this beating for it. I am not desperate, but I would like to sell it.

I have been getting several emails per day asking me questions on it and there are 60 watchers of the auction.

The reserve has been lowered one last time. Good luck.

Last edited by rsimoes; 11-26-2006 at 08:45 AM..
Old 11-26-2006, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What is interesting to me is that several people here have said that the market is soft... Why is that? Do people see prices rebounding when the spring arrives, or are there alot of cars out there?

While were at it - does anyone have a feel for the titanium car with black stripes and Roush 427 for sale on e-bay. The bidding is at just over $40k, reserve not met. I love the car but do not have a feel for the value with that motor.

Also, how "streetable" do you guys think the car is with that motor in it?
Old 11-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The market for these cars is ALWAYS soft. . . .
Old 11-26-2006, 05:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Eh eh, well said rismoes
Old 11-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

I could not disagree more... but I see it from another angle perhaps.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well heck Jay, your the reason the market is soft!
Old 11-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
Well heck Jay, your the reason the market is soft!
You are exactly right Though I feel the experience rsimoes is having actually is isolated to a particular manufacturer at the moment. There seems to be a lot of inventory at a number of their dealers based on what I see going on with eBay. The June to September timeframe was relatively weak for everyone, so there is stock to work through for many manufacturers. Amazing how $3+ gasoline actually impacts ...
Old 11-26-2006, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The reason they (superformances) have alot of inventory is clear, look at their prices, these cars are strictly toys, if someone can save 15K and get the same bang with more leg room what do you think they do. Not only that, it is easier to sell a complete car for 42K as compared to 52K. I imagine with the numbers BDR is getting at (chassis 500) there will appear alot for sale in the not to distant future. My guess is 50% of the people that purchase loose the passion after the first 100 mile drive or rough railroad crossing. Either way I love them. One thing I did learn is you can never have to much horsepower!!!!
Old 11-26-2006, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1421
Not Ranked     

bfoodman, that car on e-bay is darki silver not titanium (that is if I looked at the right one).

The 427R is a great engine from what I understand though Roush did make some more recent spec changes. If you are truely interested in that car, I would find out what engine number it is and then call the folks at Roush for additional details. I do not have that engine, but I sure wish I did.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

This is a real interesting thread. Especially since I voted with my checkbook last week and bought a used Superformance.

There is a real diversity of opinions regarding what a real world actual selling price for any of these things should be. There might be a corelation between guys who are now in the market to buy giving reasons the market is soft hence lower values. Also guys who own and might consider selling who think the opposite.

I watched the market (Cobra Country, Club Cobra classifieds, ebay, dealers) for a long time trying to understand what things were really worth. It also helped me understand what I really wanted and could afford.

Having owned it a week, I don't think I'll be selling any time soon. Too much fun. The only unexpected surprise is some sort of small fluid leak - I think it it is transmission fluid. Oh well, I'll deal with it and move on.

Reading some of the "market is soft" comments made me hope I hadn't overpaid. I don't like to waste money or feel like a fool. I paid $40k for SPF 1202 which is beautiful and has a removable hardtop. The 351w 385hp crate motor feels bulletproof. I took it out this weekend with a friend for a spirited drive on mountain roads and it never missed a beat. I bought this car to use. It is the "roadster" version with rear exhaust - no sidepipes. That's what I wanted. I know the market is very heavily weighted toward the pipes. The market is smaller for this configuration. I guess I'll worry about it if and when I sell. I think this was a fair deal for me and the seller.

I'd like to hear your guesses about this question - it probably has more real world meaning to me... What do you think the value of my car would be in ten years?? It will be no trailer queen... I bet it will have 30 to 40 thousand miles on it by that time. Go down in value (25k? - or less?). Up ($50k - or more?)? Same?

Jack
Old 11-27-2006, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You got an excellent deal and emphasises what many have beens saying. In 10 years your car will be worth in my opionion, 34k to 36K. Inflation will continue to rise. you can easily convert to side pipes if necessary. The only advantage to a cobra financially is they do not depreciate past a certain point. I am glad to see you got above chassis 1000 also.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MkIII, Performance Engineering 418 Stroker. Keyless Entry, and naturally aspirated A/C
Not Ranked     

First of all, I don't think it will do any of us any good if we start rumors that the Cobra market is soft. It could become a self-fulfilling prophecy. As soon as somebody reads that a market is soft, it can become reality very quickly as everyone snaps their checkbooks shut 'cuz they read sumpthin' somewhere the Cobra market is soft!

It may just be the stock market is back again, and tangible items like cars and houses are not the "hot items of the day". Every market has its ups and downs, so just hang in there and realize these are very expensive toys we are playing with. For most of us, it takes a perfect alignment of planets and stars to make a purchase like this.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2473, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

bfoodman, I drove the Cobra you are looking at. It's a dealer demo. The car is beautiful and real fast. The Roush 427R in it is very streetable. It runs cool and smooth. I would have bought it when I saw it in April, but wanted black/silver stripes.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1421
Not Ranked     

Not to highjack this thread any more, but what the heck...

What would be the value of 1000+ series used SPF with no engine? Or stated differently, is there a market available to purchase a slightly used 427R?
Old 11-27-2006, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

mrmustang

could not have said it better!!
Old 11-27-2006, 05:24 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Bottom line as to value is that the car is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it. Sellers can ask whatever they want for a particular car, but if it's priced too high then he/she will get little to no action and the car will sit on the market forever. I know of a certain FFR owner who thinks his donor build is worth $45,000, he is firm on that price and the car has been marketed at that price for at least two years so far. I know of a SPF in a similar situation where the owner thinks it's worth $72,000 and it too has been on the market for well over a year without a bite. In the current marketplace, it is no longer a sellers market, if a seller really wants to get his car sold, he needs to price it accordingly. If he/she is not competitive in his/her pricing structure, then his/her car will most likely not be the first,second or even third car sold. With "A" type personality buyers with discretionary funds available to purchase at a moments notice dwindling, once again you need to take a step back and take a long hard look at the current marketplace and the reason(s) behind the potential sale of your car. Also, if you are looking at these cars as an investment and not as a toy, you need to have your head examined.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 11-27-2006, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bill,

Thats a good round up of the current situation of alot of cars for sale. I know it took you forever to sell yours, and its definately priced pretty aggressively. I have no intention of doing anything but pumping more money into mine, but possibly someday I will have to sell, and I have no dilusions of getting any money I invest in it. I have a sub 1000 car which has every performance upgrade that the new ones have as mostly standard, and its possibly worth the less than 40K I paid for it. I didn't buy it with the intention of selling, but I think I might get what I bought it for back if I ever do decide to move on...but am fully aware I will possibly lose money as well.

James
Old 11-27-2006, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakjack
This is a real interesting thread. Especially since I voted with my checkbook last week and bought a used Superformance.

There is a real diversity of opinions regarding what a real world actual selling price for any of these things should be. There might be a corelation between guys who are now in the market to buy giving reasons the market is soft hence lower values. Also guys who own and might consider selling who think the opposite.

I watched the market (Cobra Country, Club Cobra classifieds, ebay, dealers) for a long time trying to understand what things were really worth. It also helped me understand what I really wanted and could afford.

Having owned it a week, I don't think I'll be selling any time soon. Too much fun. The only unexpected surprise is some sort of small fluid leak - I think it it is transmission fluid. Oh well, I'll deal with it and move on.

Reading some of the "market is soft" comments made me hope I hadn't overpaid. I don't like to waste money or feel like a fool. I paid $40k for SPF 1202 which is beautiful and has a removable hardtop. The 351w 385hp crate motor feels bulletproof. I took it out this weekend with a friend for a spirited drive on mountain roads and it never missed a beat. I bought this car to use. It is the "roadster" version with rear exhaust - no sidepipes. That's what I wanted. I know the market is very heavily weighted toward the pipes. The market is smaller for this configuration. I guess I'll worry about it if and when I sell. I think this was a fair deal for me and the seller.

I'd like to hear your guesses about this question - it probably has more real world meaning to me... What do you think the value of my car would be in ten years?? It will be no trailer queen... I bet it will have 30 to 40 thousand miles on it by that time. Go down in value (25k? - or less?). Up ($50k - or more?)? Same?

Jack
Jack, I think you got a fair deal on your Cobra. That's about what I paid for my NAF with a 351W, quite similar to yours. I love my Cobra, will have owned it five years this coming February, and have put over 40,000 miles in those five years. Enjoy your ride. Edley

We don't want a bigger government; We want a government that does a few BIG things, and does them right.

If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, they'll only give you one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playin, if you lose you got to pay. And if you make just ONE wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY!