28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2001, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question West Coast Cobra

Does anybody out there have any experience with West Coast Cobra? I visited their facility about 10 years ago, and was impressed at the time, however, the lack of funding prevented a purchase. I have recently started thinking about a Cobra again and was wondering about those guys. I really like the design of their chassis and the larger dimensions of the interior. Does anybody know of other companies that build a similiar car?
Old 08-09-2001, 07:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jeff -

I don't know anything about West Coast Cobra, but there are a number of manufacturers that offer dropped footboxes and/or extended wheel bases to provide more interior room. The car I'm building from JBL Motorsports has a 95" wheel base, although they main reason for the added length is better handling. The JBL is a fairly high end car ($$$) but there are lower cost options, such as the Lonestar, with an extended wheelbase.

- Jay
Old 08-09-2001, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter Cobra#20,SVO351 Twin Turbo
Not Ranked     

I also have a stretched car it is made by Hunter Cobra Kits . I am very happy with my build so far and would highly recommend it. Good way to build a car as you can . Kevin
Old 08-23-2001, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to Lee_From_Canada
Not Ranked     
Cool

I too would like to hear opinions/reviews of the West Coast Cobra. I've been to their plant and was impressed by what I saw, but all things are relative, and it is the only cobra plant I've seen.
I am really hoping someone can help.
Old 10-14-2001, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default West Coast or Stallions

They claim to have more room in the interior, but don't really. You sit up a little higher, so your legs are less horozontal. But the floor is not flat, so your feet are forced together between where the framerails are channeled up into the body. Getting your knees past the dash is not improved either (climbing in or out). The exterior dimensions of the car are much larger though. The body is considerably wider than any other "cobra" out there. Sit in a Superformance with the drop floor (any Superformance numered greater than about 400, numbers are stamped on the hood hinge plates) and you'll fit great. Stretched wheelbase cars look funny, and are unnessary. I've got customers over 6'5" comfortably driving 90" wheelbase cars, and sharter men driving stretched cars less comfortably.
Old 10-17-2001, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Aeroace, thanks for letting me know my car "looks funny and is unnecessary". That's way nicer than what you told the last guy that ask a similar question. I think that time you started off ranting "you've got to be kidding..." Now that I know the truth I'll be sure to have mine crushed(if I can find a crusher big enough), as soon as I can get it to a wrecking yard. I apologize to everyone, and especially you, for owning such a offensive pile of junk. I really thought it was an "exact" replica, not just a fun, well built "hot rod" version of a Cobra that draws lots of attention and compliments from the "stupid" people. Thanks for setting me straight.

Gotta go, need to see if I can somehow pry out my 6'3" body, and then squeeze by it, and take that long walk(gotta pry my feet apart first) to the other side.(I've always wondered what was over there...)

Oh I'm still wondering what kind of Cobra you have...Not that I care, it's just that usually people who put down what other people have, "don't have" themselves. Wondering if that rule holds true here. Bill

P.S. Are you sure you're not a reincarnation of a food group that used to post here??? Your style seems so familar.
Old 11-24-2001, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Anytime, Bill

Glad to give my impressions of your product Bill (Clausen, correct?). Every potential customer who's educated prior to purchase, is one fewer customer who's disappointed after purchase.
I've spent the last four years fixing Cobras as my full time career. I've worked on most replica brands including the West Coast and the Stallion. I've never met an owner of one who wasn't disappointed. Those are facts, my feelings about the car are opinions.

If you're going to spend 40-50k on a replica, you shouldn't have to be disappointed.

Why do you wrap the upholstery over the tops of the doors and dashboard? Why does the differential center section often hit the frame over not very large bumps in the road? Why 68 Charger marker lamps on the fenders? Why a single rollbar, double wide for both passengers, thats 4" in diameter?

Many people have the pre-conception that a replica should look like the original car it's based on, and perform as well too.
But I guess you are not in the cobra replica market, instead the market that sells fun-little hotrods that are cobra inspired.

As for reincarnation, this is the only member name I have ever had. If what I say sounds familiar, maybe that's because it's the truth.

Last edited by aeroace; 11-24-2001 at 03:24 PM..
Old 11-29-2001, 04:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

aeroace,

In case reality hasn't smacked you in the head,all these cars are(fake-replicas-whatever) even the so called (real ones),they are replicas of AC.There is no right or wrong way to build a aftermarket car as long as it is safe for the road.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default HOC AT ORANGE HAS ONE

Try houseofcobras website l've seen one at their shop last week
its blue and white has the Chevy 454 in it and the price tag was i think 31k, if interested can always bargain with them. Tell Dean Joe Mag sent you.

GOOD LUCK

Last edited by cobra fever; 12-01-2001 at 02:07 PM..
Old 12-15-2001, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     

Call me nuts like Bill then, because I have a totally custom West Coast turnkey cobra on order. I have heard all the comments from cobra fanatics, and my decision was easy...there was no comparison.
514 CI SVO with Holley electronic fuel injection, Richmond Over Drive 6 speed, and every accessory I could think of. I love the West Coast full width rollbar, the luxury interior, the excellent suspension ( If you want the rear higher, install airshocks...or stiffer springs, or BOTH....DUH!) The 9 inch Ford rear end, 4 wheel coil over suspension, heavy duty 4 wheel power ABS brakes, and the power assist steering are thoughtful goodies. I have sat in the other spartan and simple cobra replicas, I think them crude, and they don't do it for me...the West Coast cobra does...I bet the majority of the non fanatic general populace will agree that it is the coolest custom car they have ever seen
Not to mention bad to the bones power and handling, and a rigid spaceframe.

I am buying this car for me, it's what I want, and I bet I enjoy the hell out of it. But then I am not biased, I did my research, and found what I wanted. Each to their own.

I will post here when I get the car, and make any critiques then

Old 12-16-2001, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I met a guy this past summer that built a West Coast Cobra , 514 hp 460 ,auto,9" posi rear , 4 wheel disks, with all the goodies. We spoke for several hours at a car show and he said the following. He has had his car finished for 3 years ,he and his brother built the British racing green car with tan interior.He was impressed with the handling and quallity of the kit(drives his car alot).He was very unhappy with the kits instruction manuel but he helped the manufacturer correct a few flaws(so the newer manuel should be better). The dual rollbar was helpful for him to mount a sholder racing seatbelt setup and if you ever plan on racing your Cobra (even just for lessons) the track will require a dual rollbar for a passenger(instructor). He did tell me about his problems in getting a hardtop for his car and a somewhat air tight softtop is a problem but after all no Cobra is 100% problem free. Hope this helps and most people on the street cant see the body differences in a wider and longer car , all they know is its an awesome looking car.Olaf
Old 12-20-2001, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default West Coast hardtop

Maybe it is a recent accessory, but Vern of West Coast is supplying a matching hardtop with the ghost stripe, on my new turnkey. Let your friend know if you can that one is now available. I live in the NW U.S., and with all the rain here I figure in the winter I will leave the hardtop on, (It will be in a heated and insulated garage, dry and happy, and watched by two BIG Rottweilers, and just about theft proof to boot

Just in case I somehow need to use it for an emergency run, the hardtop will be nice. Unlikely, since we have several other pieces of transportation, but when those clear winter days appear, even if seldom...lol......I may drive it on an excursion. It will be hard not to
Old 12-21-2001, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds like you have it covered. I will email Dick about the new hard top thats available. Enjoy your new car and I wish you a Merry Christmas.Olaf
Old 01-15-2002, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP500 LeMans- Roush 451 Shelby block; KMP Flip-top with cammer: KMP 289 Bronze under construction.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up West Coast Cobra Review

I am the owner of 2 Cobras, A Midstates and a WEST COAST COBRA. My WCC was built by Vern at the factory (Turn Key), Delivered 11/01. Having been involved in Cobras for many years and have friends who own everything from FFR to Superformance,
the WCC is Awsome. The 20 plus years WCC has been in business really shows. The enginerring and quality of materials is unsurpassed. Why anybody would by a kit that needs a donor car that probable has 100K+ miles need to explain the rational to me. I urge anyone out there looking for a Cobra to Visit the factory or find someone who has a WCC and look at every aspect of the car. I could go on and on. I have had no problems. Darren Unicare195@aol.com
Old 01-15-2002, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The West Coast cars look a little funny to me. I think this is why the resell market is so soft for their products.

But as they say, there is an A$$ for every seat.
Old 01-15-2002, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Cool Tell us about your WCC ?

N2VENOM:

Can you tell us what you have in your cobra? Any extra goodies? What motor/tranny combo?

To Brent T : I am not buying it to sell it, I am buying it to drive and enjoy it. I bet when people on the street see it, not one of them will say anything but "Cool car, man!".

Lots of folks who have the bucks, spend big dollars for a really cool rod or bike, WAY more than they will ever recover. Because they LIKE it

Very few folks out in the real world are anal retentive cobra fanatics. I can say with certitude, that just cause it's old (technology) does not mean I want to build it. I do like the original cobra design, but it has it's demerits too
Old 01-15-2002, 09:32 PM
I feel the need for speed
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default West Coast Cobra

I also have a west coast cobra. I got mine last Oct (2001). I spent nearly 4 months looking at every type of Cobra. I went to House of Cobras, I called manufacturers. The only two who were excited about inviting me to see their Cobras was Kirkham and West Coast. I could not afford a Kirkham at the time and went on to WCC. Their facility is nothing less than awesome! Vern has spent most of his life refining the Cobra. Yes!! the original isn't perfect. No Cobra is Perfect!. But we all find something we like about a model and it satisfies that Cobra-lover inside us.

The WCC I own has garnished only the highest praise. It has won nearly 10 awards at car shows and continues to gain looks and praise everywhere I drive it. People who would never have anything to say to me,come up and are just blown away by the car. Yes...it looks a little different than most...but that's not a bad thing...only different.

I happen to like the look very much....as is commonly said....a Cobra on steroids....I can live with that to own a piece of the dream.....as far as engineering....I am an engineer and this car is by far the safest, most rock-solid car I have seen .

I hope that I don't get flamed for this..but since all of our replicas are just that....Replicas....I prefer to focus on the common thing between all Cobra owners....WE OWN A COBRA.....replica or not....there is a fantastic brotherhood of owners and want to be owners....and I hope that remains strong!!!

Enough soap-boxing......
Old 01-16-2002, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile I am West Coast Cobra

My name is Vern and I am West Coast Cobra. This site was refered to me by one of my customers.

The agreement using this forum is that we are suppost to be truthful. I have discovered that some people missuse this site. I have just read (one particular individual) who proclaims to be an expert by being in the business a short time. Try getting your facts straight. Why do you not have any pictures posted of your work?

The West Coast car he refered to using side marker lights proves to me that the car was from the 70's or 80's, that is over 12 years old. We first had side marker lights because we took the percautions to meet the treat of government regulations that would require it. The regulation ended up as long as you could see the light from the side, it was acceptable.

FACT: as far as the roll bar being 4", it was never that size. We wanted 2 1/2" but we could not find anyone that had the bending dies with a sharp enough radius, so we went with a 3" until 14 years ago when we started using only the 2 1/2". Why we chose to use a full roll bar is because you should be more interested in your passanger's safety than you own.

The rear end hitting the frame: our rear end does not hit the frame even over a sever bump. The only way that this could happen is if someone had a better idea and changed the rear springs replacing them with weaker springs or someone wanted to lower the rear and used shorter ones. The car refered to was over 12 years old and it could be possible that the springs on this car needed to be replaced but this is not normal.

I will be keeping an eye on this site from time to time, and this is a message to everyone, try use this site for what it was intended.

You have my e-mail address and web site so you know how to contact me directly to verify any information on this site about our cars.
Old 01-16-2002, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up customers

West Coast Cobra has been around for many years and is still here. Ford forced us to take Cobra out of our corporate name back in the 80's. Our actual company name is West Coast Dreams Inc. In conclusion West Coast Cobra, West Coast Inc. and West Coast Dreams are one and the same and with the same owner being myself, Vern.

I want to thank our customers for responding on this forum. Keep up the good work.

If you are a customer and wish to be listed on our web site with picture / pictures of your car, contact us either by e-mail or phone. Only your e-mail address would be posted. We already have a separate section on customers, however most that are shown, are not on line.

If anyone has questions that can not be answered here, chances are they would be by visiting our web site, and if they are not answered there, just e-mail me the question / questions.

Vern, pres & CEO wccobra@mnsi.net
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2002, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gentleman,
In the 5 months since I first posted this question, I have corresponded with several people about the West Coast car. Thanks to all of you for the information. You all are a great bunch.
Please keep on with the info. This site is an amazing resource for this hobby.

Vern:
You have a great bunch of customers. All I have talked to praise your product highly. Thanks for correcting some misconceptions about your cars, and keep posting updates and information.