28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     
Default Mayer.Frank70@yahoo.com...you are a crook...

Just as per this thread (thanks for posting it, btw!!):

Some sort of SCAM....not sure????

I received an email from a Frank Mayer (mayer.frank70@yahoo.com) asking about something I had in the For Sale forum. I received this check in the mail recently (over 2 grand more than the agreed-to price):

Called Wells Fargo in San Fran and they verified that the “Green Dot” account check was a fraud. Said they couldn’t do anything and the police weren’t interested in tracking down the perps and thanked me for calling. Oh, well…guess it’s up to me to have some fun now…

Since “Frank” told me I didn’t have to worry about shipping and that he would organize a “hauling company” to pick up the goods, I’m thinking of packing up a couple landscaping stones in a box with a nice note attached…LOL..

Anyway, just wanted to share with any others out there who have/haven’t gotten this far with “Frank”…

- Allen.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Uh Oh

________
Old 12-07-2010, 07:44 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Allen,

I hope you do not take offense to this as it is not pointed at you and is just a general statement:

I cannot believe that people still fall for crap (scams) like this. Any time you get something like this, it is a scam artist just waiting for his free stuff to be delivered to another unsuspecting person who he has "enlisted to assist him while he is overseas in the military". Most likely the house in which these parts are being shipped to is part of that innocent scenario I posted before this. The original scam artists name is a fake, he is not located within the continental US, but based in Nigeria. I've stopped countless people from getting caught up in these scams, most of them for car sales, some of them for parts sales. If it sounds too good to be true, let's face it folks, it is.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 12-07-2010, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     

Bill:

No, I don't take offense...I just thank you guys here at CC for highlighting the scams. Over the past year, I've purchased/sold losts of stuff over the internet for both my Lotus and Subaru and have always dealt with folks of integrity. The trouble is you get in a pattern of "trusting" folks you've never met before...so when I got the email from this guy, I was happy to get some movement on my Sportscar Specials, and made an email deal with him, and just yesterday, heard word back from him asking about his payment and the status of his "goods".

Of course I told him I never received payment....thing was, I didn't even recognize his check being from him as the "sendee" was this "Green Dot Corp" and seeing it was from "Wells Fargo" I associated it with some investments I was moving from WF over to Edward Jones and this more-than-requested payment amount didn't even register with me as being associated with my advert on CC. I thought it was a holding I had that Edward Jones couldn't take receipt of and had to be sold... so I was about to hand this check over to Edward Jones until the light clicked on in my brain last evening, and I called the Wells Fargo branch listed on the check and they confirmed it to be fraudulent.

So circumstances aside, I really appreciate the notices here on the forum, otherwise, I could have been a victim!

- Allen.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Years ago there was a TV program in which one of the characters ran a company that did mass marketing via the mail. The character was amusing because he found his business very exciting while everyone around him found him and it very boring. In one scene he announced with great pride that his latest mailing to a million households had generated an astounding 0.005% return, far above the usual return rate. I think of that when I think of the scammers. They're not counting on fooling two out of three people they contact. If they can fool one out of a hundred, they'll stay in business. Sadly, there are enough uninformed, naive and gullible people out there to keep the scams coming.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 12-07-2010, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Tell him you received the check and decided not to honor your part of the agreement.

He will then send you multiple emails threatening you with the FBI, police, etc. if you don't send him his money.

Sit back and watch him fume!

Last edited by jhv48; 12-07-2010 at 07:01 PM..
Old 12-07-2010, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Agree - have some fun. Tell him you'll ship next week. Then when he calls - say you forgot. Promise him you ship right after Christmas. Then when he calls back promise you'll ship next day, and so on.

Or, try this - tell him you've contacted the Monrovia CA police and the US Post Office and they'll be contacting him in person tomorrow - just to clear this whole thing up.

BTW, the bank may not be interested, and the police may not be interested - but I'd bet the Post Office would be interested. Isn't using the mail for a scam a Federal Crime - called Mail Fraud?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Small world. Green Dot is about two stones throw from my company (where I am now). They have a nice building. I'm sure it's just a coincedence, but still.
I remember as a kid (mid 70's), my dad coming home with a fat envelope and a million stamps on it, from Nigeria. He and my mom talked about it. He didn't fall for it but for a brief moment it seemed like the answer to his money woes. LOL.
Now my brother gets emails daily that read (no exaggeration):

Hello my good sir,
I am interested in 10 of your products that you make (no actual mention of what they are). Please accept my credit card payment of 50,000 USD (way over priced) and ship to me today. Card number is XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX
I will aprreciate this too much.
Sincerely,
Father Richard Cunningham

LOL. If it sounds too good.....
Old 12-07-2010, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Consider a live possum in that box as opposed to the landscaping stones...

...even better if you can catch him opening the box on video.

Maybe a rattlesnake would be better...

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 12-07-2010, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

I would send him an empty box. Inside the empty box would be a typed note. The note would simply say, "Look outside your back window. And don't EVER f*** with me again." That dude would give himself whiplash looking over his shoulder for the next six months.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullchat289 View Post
Oh, well…guess it’s up to me to have some fun now…

Since “Frank” told me I didn’t have to worry about shipping and that he would organize a “hauling company” to pick up the goods, I’m thinking of packing up a couple landscaping stones in a box with a nice note attached…LOL..
And for his "change" why don't you write a check on the back of a tomato soup label to a Nigerian bank. (Remember counter checks?)
Old 12-07-2010, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Also, you can report the email address as a scam to yahoo. They'll pull it pretty quickly.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Be very careful in additional contact with them. Threats come first then stalking then actions.

Just send the check back to him with a note telling him the item was stolen and you no longer have it for sale. Most of the time that ends the communication.

We all want to hang these bastards, but a cool head could save your very life!