Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     
Default Cal epa has gone too f&f*$ far.

So get this ; -- I was on the phone with the Summit Racing guys , trying to see if they had a particular 427 Windsor crate engine For a Cobra Customer in stock in Nevada or if it was a drop ship from Ohio, Michigan -or wherever....and the rep informed me that;

"even if they had it in stock, they couldn't ship it to my CA shop address as California EPA has enacted some sort of prohibition for non C.A.R.B. Approved Crate Engines and many Carburetors "

So I logged on and checked it out. -- here is what happened;

Added things to my cart - added a crate engine and tried to check out...

I received the following warning notice and could not progress with my transaction;

Cart number 1 ;

""Please remove them from your shopping cart or change your shipping location. The part NAL-12499120 cannot be shipped to your billing/shipping location at this time.""

ok...Try Number 2;

""The part FMS-M-6007-X302 cannot be shipped to your billing/shipping location at this time. ""

Try Number #3

""Some of the parts in your shopping cart are no longer available or can only be shipped via ground shipping to the Contiguous 48 United States. Please remove them from your shopping cart or change your shipping location.""

""The part FMS-M6007Z427FFT cannot be shipped to your billing/shipping location at this time. ""

""The part NAL-12568774 cannot be shipped to your billing/shipping location at this time. ""

I called back and asked if I had it as a will call, to their location in Reno - could I pick it up >?

They said no.... as it is based on the C.A.R.B status of the engine and the billing address on the credit card, and ship to ZIP....and that they had no further information as the supervisors went home already , and only the lowly reps are on duty. They didn't have a list of what was prohibited , but they said it included all non approved Crate engines, and there were some carburetors on the list as NOT_FOR_SALE in CA.

I tried the cart with the 6.2L EROD engine and the warning did not pop up....so that I guess is that. ... EROD or NO ROD.

I am going to call back int the AM and see if I can get some more info so we can figure this out...

all I can think of is - This must have JUST come into effect, I cant find anything about it on CA EPA gov..

Anyone have any ideas on this >?

Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 01-03-2014, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

There was an article in the paper where 800 new California laws when into effect January 1. Maybe you found one of them. I really suspect there is a mistake somewhere. It is hard for companies to keep track of all the regulations and it is easy to make mistakes.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

Steve.
Try ordering through Jegs. I tried to order a crate motor and there was no problems.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

You're correct. Read and weep, here it is, 46 pages in all. All that data they collected on us at the BAR over the years, would appear to be our undoing. SPCNS cars pollute too much. It appears though that it only applies to SPCNS cars after the 500 which could receive biennial inspections.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/2011/sp...sor.pdf#page26

BTW, page 10 has a really nice flow chart of the SPCNS registration process.

Last edited by RodKnock; 01-03-2014 at 10:03 PM..
Old 01-04-2014, 03:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

That document is 3 years old and was to be the conduit between spcns and having an acceptable emissions engine for the cars constructed AFTER the first 500
Spcns cars ... I will have to read the document on a larger screen.

One thing though - most crate engines go into pre 1973 cars and trucks , so are they trying to kill off our antiques and hot rods ?

Digging further ---

Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 01-04-2014, 04:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am not sure just what they mean by this, but it looks to me as if they are ging to make engines meet emission requirements even if you get the SB-100 number. I am sure they will interpet this any way they want to as this is mor about another way to get rid of cars and make more money for a bunch of crooks than it is about anythig else.

Bureau of Automotive Repair
Each SPCNS registration application requires an initial inspection at a BAR Referee Station to determine the model year for Smog Check inspection purposes (if the vehicle qualifies for the SB 100 program), to determine Smog Check requirements (if any), to inspect the vehicle to ensure the appropriate emission control systems have been installed as required, and if required, to conduct a Smog Check inspection of the vehicle (BAR, 2011a).

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-04-2014, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Would it be prohibited to have a local-to-you engine builder assemble one from parts (but not a FR crate p/n) and buy it cash?
Would they refuse to certify such an engine at reg time?
Old 01-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
You're correct. Read and weep, here it is, 46 pages in all. All that data they collected on us at the BAR over the years, would appear to be our undoing. SPCNS cars pollute too much. It appears though that it only applies to SPCNS cars after the 500 which could receive biennial inspections.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/2011/sp...sor.pdf#page26

BTW, page 10 has a really nice flow chart of the SPCNS registration process.
My car received its SB100 in 2002 with a sequence number of 2002060, which I assume is number 60. Do I need to be concerned as well?
Old 01-04-2014, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

gone too far huh.....just now? CA has been going too far for decades.
too many sheep in CA that keep voting in A-holes.

CA is the most business UN-friendly state i know. most of my family has escaped from the CA clutches.

my advice is to move. move before you find yourself behind the barricades instead of infront of them.
FIA Mike, jmimac351 and Trubble like this.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
gone too far huh.....just now? CA has been going too far for decades.
too many sheep in CA that keep voting in A-holes.

CA is the most business UN-friendly state i know. most of my family has escaped from the CA clutches.

my advice is to move. move before you find yourself behind the barricades instead of infront of them.
Oy vey. Let's bash CA. CA is so business unfriendly that we're really fortunate that Google, Facebook, Twitter, Tesla, Netflix, HP, Oracle, etc. are all located here.

Yes, we all would rather live in PA.

BTW, what's the temperature there today?
MFE III likes this.

Last edited by RodKnock; 01-04-2014 at 10:11 AM..
Old 01-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
My car received its SB100 in 2002 with a sequence number of 2002060, which I assume is number 60. Do I need to be concerned as well?
No, you're good. You're still exempt.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
No, you're good. You're still exempt.
Thanks RodKnock. BTW, it's supposed to be around 80 degrees here today

Back on topic, CA issued regulations last year and the year before on heavy diesel construction equipment that literally put many people out of business. In the middle of this economy they enacted requirements that forced many guys to just park their equipment due to the cost to comply, even if they had work they could do. A damn shame. If you look at the people that sit on the Board and make these decisions, it's even sadder. I know one of them and their background is architecture and politics.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

They are pulling the same heavy equipment crap here in Austin.
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 01-04-2014, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Can't you buy some sort of gift card (like a generic Visa or AmEx card), buy the engine with that card, then pick it up in Reno and give some bogus address?
Old 01-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Guess you just need to have one of our members in another state buy it for you (Utah or Oregon maybe?) . Then pay them and have it shipped to you.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Drive there and pay in cash.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

I doubt that would work.

Years ago I tried to buy a plastic 5 gallon gas can at Summitt in Reno. I knew they wouldn't ship it to my home in California (order was denied on-line) so I figured I would outsmart them by doing it in person.

When I arrived at the store and tried to check out they asked to see my drivers license as they were prohibited from selling certain items to California residents and as Reno is so close to California, they are required to check ID.

I got a local resident to buy it for me.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Oy vey. Let's bash CA. CA is so business unfriendly that we're really fortunate that Google, Facebook, Twitter, Tesla, Netflix, HP, Oracle, etc. are all located here.

Yes, we all would rather live in PA.

BTW, what's the temperature there today?
oh yes ...the weather......cuba has nice weather too. don't want to be there either.
what would we do without facebook and twitter. it does get a little cold here sometimes. minus 2 last night, although we may be a might backward sometimes we do have heat.....
Old 01-05-2014, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

California is the land of milk and honey, one of the most diverse and beautiful places on earth....If I could afford it, I would move there in a New York Minute.

It has one of the greatest cities and the tenth largest economy in the world.

If you can afford it, you can find anything you want there. It has everything any other state has plus.
MFE III likes this.

Last edited by Bartruff1; 01-05-2014 at 06:57 AM..
Old 01-05-2014, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartruff1 View Post
It has everything any other state has plus.
You are soooooo right. California has more fruits and nuts, illegal aliens, welfare and food stamp recipients, homeless, taxes, expensive real estate, Democrats, Nancy Pelosi, Dianne Feinstein, "Moonbeam" than any other State. The State motto is "Give us all your money so we can decide who needs it more than you do!"

But, it is 72 degrees outside today and I'm taking my dog for a romp on the beach at low tide so, nevermind!
FIA Mike, jmimac351 and joyridin' like this.