Old 01-05-2014, 09:16 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
You are soooooo right. California has more fruits and nuts, illegal aliens, welfare and food stamp recipients, homeless, taxes, expensive real estate, Democrats, Nancy Pelosi, Dianne Feinstein, "Moonbeam" than any other State. The State motto is "Give us all your money so we can decide who needs it more than you do!"
Yep, it's got all that. Don't forget the earthquakes, fires, mudslides and traffic.
All in a beautiful sunny setting!

On a day like today, you can literally go surfing in the morning, snow skiing in the afternoon, then take a cruise down Pacific Coast Highway in the Cobra and get some sun. It helps you forget all the above, at least for a while.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I"m in NY. My brothers in CA. Both have crazy regulations and taxes. But, my brother has a beach house in Del Mar, Ca and his lake house on Lake Tahoe. Guess where I go for vacation.

In general I think that our society is getting way over regulated. i have a business that makes an item for children. Because of the contaminated toys that came in from China a few years ago Congress passed crazy new laws. The intent is good but the reality is that it has put a lot of manufacturers and retailers out of business. The cost in time and money to comply and the liabilities are simply out of line. I have to limit the size of my business because if I go over a certain level in sales the cost to comply goes up exponentially. As a result we have fewer employees. Enough of me complaining for today.

I'm sitting in my log cabin on top of a mountain in the Adirondacks. It's cold and spitting snow. Beautiful, but I wish I were in sunny weather and enjoying my Cobra. Hopefully my last winter in the north east. (OK, complained 1 more time. Now I'm done.)

Last edited by john chesnut; 01-05-2014 at 09:52 AM..
Old 01-05-2014, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

When you live in a place that has less than perfect weather, you really appreciate it more when the weather is good. And, if I repeat that enough times, I may actually start believing it myself
joyridin' likes this.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It is really hard to get excited about your car..or most things...when you see tomorrows temperature is going to be a whopping 9 degrees with 35 mph winds and blowing snow.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Wish they all could be California Girls..

Well, I live at a ski area in the Cascade Mountains and it is beautiful and I do enjoy it, but I have to admit that California has it all.

From Sac Town in a short days drive you can visit any State in the Union and never leave California.

Now you would have to go to a zoo to see a alligator or a polar bear but you need only go to the beach to see a bubble butt.

Having your orange juice and coffee at the beach at Santa Barbara is not a bad way to start the day.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

No matter where you live, the grass elsewhere will always occasionally appear to be a lil' bit greener. We wouldn't appreciate the ups as much if the occasional downs weren't there to contribute a bit of perspective to the equation.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 01-05-2014, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

I've lived in CA for the past 21 years, and I can tell you that there is a reason people are leaving the state (net) for the first time in decades. They tax and regulate the s*** out of you in direct and indirect ways. More and more, the part of the population that foots the bill gets smaller and shoulders a bigger burden. Examples: traffic fines like right on red without a complete stop, enforced by cameras, cost >$500 near me. Many people can't pay it. So it effectively becomes a tax for those who can. Or free sex change operations for muni employees in San Francisco, paid by the tax payers. Or public schools in many areas (like the city of SF) that are so bad they are not an option, so you need to send your kids to expensive private schools...
Old 01-05-2014, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

OK, so I didnt mean this to turn into a bash on CA post as that is not the purpose of this.

when Summit pointed this out to me that the state of California ( unsure of department, I thought they mentioned Cal EPA ) had demanded this stopping of sale of "non C.A.R.B. approved" crate engine packages to CA residents , my first thought was ; under who's authority was this enacted >?

--what citizens were involved in this decision >?
--what notification and proposal for remedy was given >?

Not to mention that its NOT legal that they do this , first its directly a violation of the 14th amendment for free trade between states.

Note ; -- for every SPCNS / kit car that California may have , there are 10,000 pre 1973 cars that would be in the possible pathway for receiving a crate engine to revive their 65 mustang, or 68 corvette , 32 ford or other vehicle.--all of which would run better and cleaner with a fresh mill under the metal.

The answer here is not capitulate and hide like rats , stalking someone at a 7-11 to buy things for you with their Nevada drivers licence, the answer is to unscrew the California governmental agency that did this.

If it is California EPA, god help them-- as they are criminally negligent elsewhere.

More News as it happens.

Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 01-05-2014, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Well, here's my two cents worth. I'm born and raised in CA and I'm with those who say we are over regulated. It's always been that way. CA has more laws than any other state. They make it more difficult on auto owners, businesses and the population in general. Emission controls are bad enough, try being a gun owner or buying a gun here!!!! Just a matter of time before they will have us down to shooting rubber bands.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
I've lived in CA for the past 21 years, and I can tell you that there is a reason people are leaving the state (net) for the first time in decades. They tax and regulate the s*** out of you in direct and indirect ways. More and more, the part of the population that foots the bill gets smaller and shoulders a bigger burden. Examples: traffic fines like right on red without a complete stop, enforced by cameras, cost >$500 near me. Many people can't pay it. So it effectively becomes a tax for those who can. Or free sex change operations for muni employees in San Francisco, paid by the tax payers. Or public schools in many areas (like the city of SF) that are so bad they are not an option, so you need to send your kids to expensive private schools...
No disrespect Lippy, but please use facts or at least current facts.

touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-78722976/

A quote from the LA Times:

"California’s population growth again outpaced the national trend, with an increase of 332,643 year to year, or 0.9%."
Old 01-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAgrest View Post
Well, here's my two cents worth. I'm born and raised in CA and I'm with those who say we are over regulated. It's always been that way. CA has more laws than any other state. They make it more difficult on auto owners, businesses and the population in general. Emission controls are bad enough, try being a gun owner or buying a gun here!!!! Just a matter of time before they will have us down to shooting rubber bands.
And, with the increased rates of cancer and asthma, thankfully our CA air is cleaner:

Emission cuts lead to cleaner Calif. air - SFGate

Personally, I prefer clean air.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No disrespect taken. The LA Times certainly is credible, but from what I've read, it does appear to be a long-term trend that people are leaving. From the WSJ: "Over the past two decades, a net 3.4 million people have moved out of California for other states."

Here is that article, as well as some others that speak to the demographics:
Allysia Finley: The Reverse-Joads of California - WSJ.com
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...40531861056966
Jobs Aren't Leaving California For Texas, But People Are - Forbes
California demographic shift: More people leaving than moving in - Los Angeles Times
http://www.manhattan-institute.org/h...m#.UsooLRas6KM
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...182914961.html

Last edited by lippy; 01-05-2014 at 07:52 PM..
Old 01-05-2014, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance 1022
Not Ranked     

Gentlemen as you probably know I transport exotics and classics for a living. I have made my last trip to California. Your CARB has determined that I should spend twenty thousand dollars to install a diesel particulate filter in my 1996 Peterbilt and plumb the auxiliary power unit in also. I maintain my equipment well and it has passed every roadside test the state of New Jersey has conceived. Believe me they are tough.
California has no authority to
Old 01-05-2014, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry I don't know what happened. As I was saying they have no authority to impose a financial hardship such as the DPF on everyone who wants to truck in California. There are several parts of my anatomy that Moonbeam can kiss. They will realize too late that they have screwed up when the produce is rotting and the backup of goods is out of control. Please don't take this as an anti- California rant because I have great friends there I just can't stand the politicians. Just ask the valley farmers about the delta smelt. That is if you can find any. Panavia I know they have alway been nuts!!
Old 01-05-2014, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

I believe Rod is absolutely right, not only has the population growing again, it is growing in the most vital sectors with highly skilled and educated workers and people with higher net worth.

That is one of the wonderful things about America ...the States are all different and if you don't want to live in one, you can move to another.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
No disrespect taken. The LA Times certainly is credible, but from what I've read, it does appear to be a long-term trend that people are leaving. From the WSJ: "Over the past two decades, a net 3.4 million people have moved out of California for other states."

Here is that article, as well as some others that speak to the demographics:
Allysia Finley: The Reverse-Joads of California - WSJ.com
The Weekend Interview with Joel Kotkin: The Great California Exodus - WSJ.com
Jobs Aren't Leaving California For Texas, But People Are - Forbes
California demographic shift: More people leaving than moving in - Los Angeles Times
Civic Report 71 | The Great California Exodus: A Closer Look
California's Population Is Moving Out, Census Report Shows | NBC Southern California
Lippy, I can't read it all, but the articles you linked were written 1-3 years ago. The LA Times article I used is from today. Also, we are the most populous state, and remain so even after the recession from 2008-2012. And we grew more than the average state.

If folks who live here think we're taxed too heavy, it's too hard to buy and own guns, the burdens of achieving clean air are too great or violating the traffic laws is too expensive, then move! Florida just passed New York in population, sun, no state taxes. That sounds like a great place to relocate.

Maybe I'm too tired tonight, but I think it's great to be alive and live in a wonderful part of the country and world. Here in CA.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347stroker View Post
Gentlemen as you probably know I transport exotics and classics for a living. I have made my last trip to California. Your CARB has determined that I should spend twenty thousand dollars to install a diesel particulate filter in my 1996 Peterbilt and plumb the auxiliary power unit in also. I maintain my equipment well and it has passed every roadside test the state of New Jersey has conceived. Believe me they are tough.
California has no authority to
Yep, they are going after diesel trucks now too. As I said earlier, they put a big crush on the heavy diesel equipment, including diesel emergency generators that are only 2 years old! That diesel particulate filter can cost thousands.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347stroker View Post
Sorry I don't know what happened. As I was saying they have no authority to impose a financial hardship such as the DPF on everyone who wants to truck in California. There are several parts of my anatomy that Moonbeam can kiss. They will realize too late that they have screwed up when the produce is rotting and the backup of goods is out of control. Please don't take this as an anti- California rant because I have great friends there I just can't stand the politicians. Just ask the valley farmers about the delta smelt. That is if you can find any. Panavia I know they have alway been nuts!!
First of all the rules have been relaxed.

"Truckers and construction company officials mostly praised the new rules, which will cost 60% less than the original regulations. "Four of every 10 construction workers in California have lost their jobs," said Michael Kennedy, general counsel of the Associated General Contractors of America. "It is difficult to revisit decisions already made. This is an example of good government."

California eases diesel soot crackdown - Los Angeles Times

"The air board's crackdown on diesel has had strong political support, especially in such neighborhoods as those around the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, where diesel fumes are blamed for high rates of asthma and cancer."

Saving people's lives, especially the financially-disadvantaged that live near these diesel fumes costs money.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Lippy, I can't read it all, but the articles you linked were written 1-3 years ago. The LA Times article I used is from today. Also, we are the most populous state, and remain so even after the recession from 2008-2012. And we grew more than the average state.

If folks who live here think we're taxed too heavy, it's too hard to buy and own guns, the burdens of achieving clean air are too great or violating the traffic laws is too expensive, then move! Florida just passed New York in population, sun, no state taxes. That sounds like a great place to relocate.

Maybe I'm too tired tonight, but I think it's great to be alive and live in a wonderful part of the country and world. Here in CA.
The article I cited is from March 2013, but that doesn't change the fact (from the census) that, as a trend, over a period of years (not just one), people and businesses have moved from CA for several clear reasons, including high costs and regulation.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rodknock it is political. The harbor bombers as we called them would buy a pos and run it till the wheels fell off the go buy another one. If you lookat the rules they state that one has to show the intention of retrofitting your truck with a dpf. Again pick a part of my anatomy and kiss it Moonbeam. If you look at the geography of California you can understand the problem. Mountains to the east and an onshore breeze from the pacific. Duh. CARB has far too much power. I'm waiting to see if the lawsuit from OOIDA has any effect. Remember it's not the people who are the problem it's politicians and bureaucracy!!!