28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2003, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 347stroker, 48IDA and '66 Mustang GT convertible
Not Ranked     
Default '65 Mustang GT convertible - Fair market price ???

I am the current high bidder on this '65 Mustang GT convertible:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2427447488

Since the reserve price has not been met so far I would like to ask you whether anybody can tell me the approx. market value of this outstanding car. I understand that it is a '65 GT convertible that was recently restored from ground. Based on the pictures published on e-bay it is in a show room condition.

In addition to that any comments on the seller are highly appreciated. Has anyone of the Cobra community information on this company ?

Many thanks for your help and best regards,

Walter
Old 08-16-2003, 09:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

WOW,,,,that is one heck of a nice restoration all right. As pretty as the car is at that price you are well advised to question where to stop the bidding! $24K all ready sounds high to me, just based on what I see in the "paper" and various sources. I'm certainly no expert!

Ernie
Old 08-16-2003, 12:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Walt;

What's this car worth????Depends on how bad you want it.....The pictures do show a beautiful car,but pictures can be deceiving,I'm not trying to slam the car,but if you know what you are doing,you can "hide" defects with pictures taken at the right angle.....

I would suggest contacting the shop that did the restoration and get any info from them as to what they actually did and what if any sheet metal was changed and the overall condition of the car BEFORE restoration....

Now to the car,yes it is beautiful,but the engine compartment really came out and "grabbed" me..... All 65/66 Mustangs had the engine compartment painted black and the a/c compressor and pulleys were also black,not painted different colors.... It may not matter to some,but to me it just does not look right,it is a personal preference,but I prefer it to look original....They did this great looking,correct looking restoration and then went crazy with the paint gun under the hood,again just my personal preference....

As for the car and price,it's a A code car,meaning a 289 4 barrell car,if it was a K code car it would be worth that and more,but for an A code car,I think that would be the limit....Recently an A code convertible here in Louisiana sold for $21,000,it had just undergone a complete restoration similar to the e-bay car and had zero miles on it after the restoration.....It was a comparable car to the one on e-bay in body-interior-mechanical,it just was not a GT car,I did see it before it sold and it was perfect..... The owner had it for sale for a very short time also,I believe about two weeks before it sold....

I think 24 k would be top dollar in my book and only after I had personally inspected the car or had someone I trust inspect it for me....

Not trying to slam the car,just giving my honest opinion....BTW,I've worked in a body shop for 13 or so years and we did a restoration a year I guess and did a lot of work/touch-up type work for two big auto collectors/dealers in our area..... You should have seen the stuff they came back from auctions with,cars that were supposed to have had full on restorations that would barely run and were rust buckets to start with,completely built with bondo....BTW,bondo will hide just about anything for a while!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David
Old 08-16-2003, 01:09 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

First question you want to ask:

What proof or documentation do they have that this ia a real GT convertible (nice car, but not restored to stock, which makes me believe this is a wannabe GT)....

Second question: Do they have the original door data tag, as the VIN they show is a hand stamped reproduction, and not even close to what Ford would have stamped in to their inner fender panels....

Let the buyer beware...........In this case, I think 24K is top dollar for a car of this caliber....if you want a really nice 65/66 convertible, I can hook you up with several people with show quality (MCA spec restorations) cars....if it must be a red on white GT convertible, this will take a bit more time, But I'm sure I can find you a documented car for around the same price..............

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-16-2003, 04:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A black engine bay is certainly "period" correct, but man I really like the "colorful" engine bay. I guess that does detract some for the price, but it might depend on the buyer!!! Best not to worry about "investment" to much, drive and enjoy.

Ernie
Old 08-17-2003, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 347stroker, 48IDA and '66 Mustang GT convertible
Not Ranked     

Many thanks for your helpful and important feedback. In the meantime I was outbid and I decided not to place any additional bids on this car/auction. The seller did not answer one of my four e-mails I wrote to him during the last few days .... not a really good behaviour and no proof of trust ....

I asked him to send me a copy of the title and various additional pictures (body, and - as suggested by Bill - the door tag !) No response = something to hide ?!

Once again, many thanks. I keep you in the loop.

Best regards from Switzerland,

Walter

Bill, you got mail ....

Old 08-17-2003, 02:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Walter;

Good idea, if the seller would not supply with the door tag and other #'s,that's surely not a good sign,maybe he does have something to hide.....

Forgot to mention earlier,you could run the VIN # posted thru Kevin Marti's site as he has all the Ford info on the early Mustangs......

If you are dead set on a 65 Covertible,or any other Mustang,just do not get in a hurry and look around,there are a lot of cars for sale on varouis sites,from bargin basement prices to top of the line cars...........

David
Old 08-17-2003, 03:16 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

David,

Kevin Marti only has 1967 and up. He has no information on the 64.5-66's at all, yet I have some data from the old "In search of Mustangs" that Jim Haskell and Jim Smart compiled........

Walter,

I've got your information and will go over it when I get home on Tuesday...........

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS