28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2003, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default ERA or SPF

I am new in the market for a cobra 427. I have currently visited ERA & SPF shops. I'm having a tough time on choosing a builder to go with. Any input from experianced owners. I do notice there are a great amount of used SPF cars available.

Joe V.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Both are very nice cars. If you are buying used I would place both the ERA and SPF on your shopping list. Lots of nice used Cobras for sale but remember, YOU DRIVE THE CAR, NOT THE DEAL! If you are buying new, I would also look at the new SAI products.

Good Luck!
Old 09-10-2003, 02:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Joe look at this thread

ERA vs SPF

that should keep you busy for a while. Then do a general search for ERA v. spf. There is a lot if info on this site about the two. If you still have questions after you've read all the info, then fire away.

Both are great cars, but if you're in Danbury, you'd be crazy not to go with ERA (but I guess I'm a little biased)

And you're right, you can get a good deal on used cars now.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 09-10-2003, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4047 power by Gessford
Not Ranked     
Smile new cobra

Set your budget first, it's easy to start at 40's and wind up at 60's. Once the budget is set stick with it. ERA is a great product. Good luck and don,t wait.

Roland
Old 09-10-2003, 05:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Hey Joe:
A few years ago I was right where you are and I came to the same conclusion. I wanted either an ERA or an SPF. The ERAs are more expensive (by a lot), they tend to have FE engines and they use Jag rears. The waiting line at the time was 18 months.

The SPFs tend to be less expensive, The use crate engines (351W or 460), they use a Ford 8.8 rear and they are ready to go at the Snakepit on Long Island.

They're both nice cars.

Bob
Old 09-10-2003, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

If I had to pick between the two and budget was not a factor, it would be ERA without hesitation...
The few I've seen were amazing...
Old 09-10-2003, 05:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Bob-
I've got to disagree with you slightly. I would not say what ERAs are "a lot" more expensive than SPFs. True if an ERA has an FE and the SPF has a windsor or 460 based motor, it will probably be more, but if you outfit both cars with the same engine they will be close (within 4-5K), which in the grand scheme of things is not that much more.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 09-10-2003, 06:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

You're correct. But let me say that Peter really wants you to have the FE engine. If not a 427SO or CO at least a 390 or 428. After speaking with Joe Lapine (spelling?) at Danbury Competition Engines and doing the numbers, the FE was a fair bit more than a crate 351W, which was my engine of choice in the first place. It was also ready to go at the Snakepit.

When I see people at shows I always tell them to get the car that will make them happy. I could be very happy in an ERA. Ask Bob Santilli, I tried to buy his 427SO ERA more than once.

Bob

Last edited by Bob In Ct; 07-12-2005 at 12:02 PM..
Old 09-10-2003, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Dreaming
Not Ranked     

I agree on the 4-5k number.I have been having the same dilema trying to chose between SPF and ERA. I talked to Peter yesterday,and he had a estimate for me today.I have been trying to get a number from my SPF rep and he doesn't really seem that interested in making a sale.Granted,I will not be in a position to take delivery for possibly a year or so,but at ERA that just didn't seem to be a problem( ERA is booked out about that far).We talked about possibly maybe even a little longer than that,and that didn't seem to be a problem either.A small deposit will even hold the estimated price.Even though both cars are excellent examples of the craft,it seemed like at ERA you weren't just another unit,but marrying into the family when you buy a car-it's that personal.I really like that.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     
Default Out on a limb

This might not be as accurate, but it is a thought as to why more SPF's on the market.

Beyond the fact that more than double the number of SPF's v/ ERA being sold, I think the typical buyer for an ERA and SPF are different.

SPF's tend to be sold to poeple who want more of a turnkey experience. Buyers certainly get involved with engine and tranny choice.

ERA buyers get involved, or even build, a good portion of the cars themselves.

SPF's tend to be sold and bought by those who have the passion to drive. ERA's tend to have buyers who want the build and driving experience. (in general, not all cases)
Old 09-10-2003, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1696, 427 Shelby aluminum 462 stroker from Southern Automotive. 1967 GTO and a '98 'Vette. Life is good.
Not Ranked     
Default SPF vs ERA

Gary:

I don't know enough about ERAs to answer your question. I was sold on an SPF after I visited Dynamic Motorsports. You'll find the owners of each to be very proud of their cars and generally happy with their choice. SPFs seem to be more common. Probably, because they cost somewhat less and they are easier to get. Many buyers, after making a decision to purchase a new car, may not want to wait a year or more to take delivery. I had to wait four months, that was long enough.

I'm not sure where the perception that SPFs use "crate" engines while ERAs use FEs comes from. There are a wide range of engines used in SPFs. I'm having a 427 SO built by Southern Automotive. I do know that Ron at Dynamic strongly promotes the use of small blocks. I just chose not to take his advice.

It is unfortunate that you were treated poorly by the SPF dealer in your area. Dean and Ron at Dynamic do foster the "family" attitude and are great folks to work with. I also hear nothing but praise for the SPF dealer in North Carolina (Olthoffs?). Generally, the SPF team go out of their way to do everything possible for their clients, both pre and post sale. Too bad your dealer is not a little more far-sighted. He has probably lost a future sale.

Best of luck,

"There ain't nuthin' fun about havin' money in the bank."

"If I were smarter, I'd probably know a lot more."

Last edited by StephenC; 09-11-2003 at 12:19 PM..
Old 09-10-2003, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Steve C for the words of encouragement.I had forgotten to mention in my last post that I also was considering a BB in both the SPF and the ERA with a toploader,although in the SPF I also was considering a Coast High Performance 427w stroker with A TKO2.If I have my facts straight,there is not a lot of difference in weight between these two combos(Both with alloy heads),and I was trying to limit my cost for those to about 12k(mild 428FE@375-400hp or 427w@500hp)I'm not sure that a lot of shoppers know that a FE is easily accepted in a SPF.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC # 571, 472 Shelby aluminum "stroker " CSX # 299 from Gessford, 48 IDA Weber carburetors from Jim Inglese
Not Ranked     
Smile

Joe,

My brother have a Superformance with a 396-er stroker engine and I have the chance to compare with my ERA. There are some optical details on the outside that are different but the big difference you feel when you drive the cars. It's not the power, is the handling, steering, seat position, etc.
Drive both cars and make our own experiences.
Good luck

Walter

Walter

http://www.kreuchi-auto.ch
Old 09-10-2003, 10:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Some may or may not agree with a few other observations I've noted about these cars and their related types of owners...

- Many SPF onwers tend to be more of the "buy it and drive it", gotta have it now type of owner/driver. They seem to totally enjoy it to the fullest, while they own it, with a key focus on immediate value. Ownership tends to be less than 3 years in most cases, and then they move on to some other type of hobby or interest.

- Most ERA owners seem to have a first interest in building cars, and a passion for working on and customizing cars as a general interest. Meaning they've built other cars before their ERA. Driving and enjoyment is seen as a second benefit of the first. Majority ownership tends to be greater than 4 years; especially if the person built and customized it to their specific tastes.

BOTH ARE GREAT CARS and these are just one person's observations and opinions.

Last edited by decooney; 09-10-2003 at 10:59 PM..
Old 09-10-2003, 11:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Duane,I think you pretty much nailed it at least with respect to me.When I talked to Peter,he asked me if I had been to the website.I had to admit that I had copied everything from their site(in color),and had it in an ERA notebook in front of me.Kind of geeky,I know,but made it much easier and time efficient to communicate.I also have one for SPF! Yep,passion pretty much sums it up.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

I too narrowed it down to SPF vs. ERA.
You must look at the cars side by side you will see.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4047 power by Gessford
Not Ranked     
Talking another choice

Hey don't forget if you've got the cash the stainless steel framed Kirkham.... definitely a cut above.
Roland
Old 09-11-2003, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

If I had it to do over again, I'd make the same choice - ERA. The SPFs are beautiful cars but I chose ERA for a number of reasons.

1) I wanted to be able to say I built it instead of I bought it.
2) SPFs are just getting to be too darned common. Here in California it seems like just about every Cobra you see is either an SPF or Factory Five. I liked the idea of having something a little less common.
3) I didn't want to have to get stuck with a color that I didn't love. With an SPF you have a limited number of color choices (about 8 or so I think). Going with ERA I knew I could paint it any darn color I wanted.
4) The relatively long lead time gave me more time to save more money to be able to afford it. Haha. Plus I was able to build the motor and the rearend while I was waiting for the car.

I have no regrets what so ever but you can't go wrong with either choice.

Chris
Old 09-11-2003, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2086, 302/320 HP, Dart heads, hydraulic
Not Ranked     

Joe,

They are both great cars, IHMO the ERA is a little more expensive but more authentic. ERA does do turnkeys readily. I started mine as a roller but started a new job that left zero time for anything else - so I switched it to a turnkey. Glad I did, as the quality of the finished vehicle was something I could never have matched with my limited skill. True craftsmen.

The ERA factory is near you - you may want to factor that into your decision.

Best of Luck,
Jim
Old 09-11-2003, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1696, 427 Shelby aluminum 462 stroker from Southern Automotive. 1967 GTO and a '98 'Vette. Life is good.
Not Ranked     
Default SPF and Paint

Just a point of clarification............

SPFs can be ordered in any color as long as you can provide the factory with the PPG paint color number.

"There ain't nuthin' fun about havin' money in the bank."

"If I were smarter, I'd probably know a lot more."