Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2005, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster,351w 405HP
Not Ranked     
Angry Classics by Elite...Jay Kowalik

Anyone know what's happening with Jay Kowalik? I've e-mailed, called more times than I can count and only get a busy signal. Anyone out there having problems dealing with Jay or can't get in touch with him? Is he STILL in business under the name of Classics by Elite?
I've held off posting anything here because I took Jay Kowalik at his word and a signed agreement to partially reimburse me for the poor work he did on my car. Now he has disappeared!
I guess it's time for another road trip! I'm PISSED!!!!
Old 05-09-2005, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

You might want to talk to Ed Combs (DV), or Don Scott about this.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sounds like you've been out of touch. Jay is sueing Ed "DV" Combs, former owner of Classics by Elite. Don Scott, current owner of CLASSIC ROADSTERS II and THE supplier for Classic Roadsters has publicly stated (on this forum) that he no longer has any association with Jay in any way shape or form. Of course I assume this means IF Jay is building Classic Roadsters he aint getting them from "Classic Roadsters II", the one and only supplier.

I would bet on one thing for sure:
Ed "DV" has been grossly wronged by the suit Jay filed. It would seem the suit has put DV in a very tight financial position and had a huge negative impact on his retirement. If Jay owes you money, I wouldn't hold my breath trying to collect.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 351W -> 392
Not Ranked     

He owes me 500 bucks, plus the stress dealing with a supposed 'expert' on Classic Roadsters.

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier."
Old 05-09-2005, 05:35 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

I know nothing about starwolf56 nor his deal with Jay.

I would find a real hard time believing that he will not come through with his agreements. I will be interested to hear Jay's side of this and then those not involved can be a little more objective. I have heard the the suits between them are ongoing and of course no one can be too public about it. We all know there is or has been strife. No news there.

Starwolf56, hopefully what ever happened to you will be settled. For the rest of us, let us wait and see. I would not expect any business to post here. No one.

Personally, I beleive that all involved will work things out and every one will be satisfied. The three men mentioned here are all men following a passion.

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 05-09-2005, 06:10 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

NO offense, but give me a break.

I feel you might be a little dillusional and overly generous to Jay.

If you ONCE sat/listened in on the conversations I have had with Jay and the product he delivered, I doubt you would be so quick to defend him.

IMHO, Jay just got over his head because he never could say 'no' when he wanted to deliver, but it was far beyond him. Then when confronted, after accepting payment, conviently neglects to answer the phone, respond to email, answer faxes... yadda yadda yadda

TYPICAL story, same outcome....

If you are so confident of Jay's ability to work things out, why don't you send me a CASHIERS check, and you can receive it back from Jay.

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier."
Old 05-09-2005, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Rick,
All I am going to say about this is, you and a few, short list of others, should have have asked a few more questions instead of just listening to one guy before you made 'any' assumptions.

The forth coming supboenas will answer/ tell all.
DV... the time for the truth is is coming. Now if I could only type with two fingers!
Old 05-09-2005, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Angry

I am well aware of the situation between DV and Jay. Unfortunately, I took my car out to Jay when I went to the Fling last year. Jay was to mount the body, do the bodywork and paint. This was well before his business practices became known to me. After numerous delays and excuses, the car was "finished" in November.
Bottom line is he destroyed my car. Nothing was done right. Body mounted wrong, roll bars mounted wrong, doors don't close, really bad body work and paint. This is only part of it. I am not overstating the bad quality of work. I get sick thinking about it.
I actually gave Jay more than 3 months to repair my car. After numerous excuses and calls, it became obvious he had no intention or ability to repair my car.
I made a trip out to see Jay April 5th, to sit down at the table and come to an agreement. He admits that the car should not have left his shop that way. He stated that he had an employee problem that my car got in the middle of. We agreed on a partial repayment ($6,000). He has not honored that written agreement. Haven't heard from him, can't reach him. I have been more than fair and patient dealing with Jay Kowalik. I've been stewing on this since November. I lost out big time with Jay Kowalik!
Just a side note here: Don and Ed offered to repair my car but I don't think they knew how bad it was.
Jay needs to make it right!
Old 05-09-2005, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

I don't know either of these guys or any of the situation. As a casual observer, seems to me that all starwolf56 wants is to be in contact with Jay Kowalik. Seems simple enough.

rdorman, from what you said, you seem to know Jay and know how to get in touch with him ( seems I recall you are in the same area). Help starwolf56 contact Jay. If Jay is as forthcoming as you indicate, there should be no problem helping them connect.

Just my humble opinion.

Paul
Old 05-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Woah there fellas! All I am saying is let people defend themselves before jumping to conclusions. I have no doubt that any one that posted here believes in what they say nor some folks have a beef but until all parties are heard, then how can those outside judge?

I like most of you have no involvement in this and I will hold my judgement until I hear from all.

I have made NO assumptions. My post says nothing assumed about any one except my faith in people, that 'all involved will work things out' and 'all are men following a passion'.

I have no way to get ahold of Jay better then the rest of you, the phone book.

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 05-09-2005, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Tough thing about ongoing litigation is that folks involved in it really can't (or shouldn't) talk about it, and then folks draw unwarranted conclusions from silence or partial facts.

Brent has made it clear that he does not want this site becoming embroiled in such matters...please respect that.

Thank you for your expected cooperation.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     
Angry Me too

Well I am sad to see that I am not the only one in my position! Jay Kowalik and a lot of empty promises also ruined my car. I received my car after a year and a half only to be so upset that I was embarrassed to show it to all the people I had been talking it up to for so long.

My position was similar in that I was having the body mounted, the bodywork done, paint, and the car finished due to a work relocation. My current issues range from very poor paint quality including the added scratches to at least 50% of every nut bolt and fitting being loose. After spending a day to get the car to a barely drivable point I was quick to find out the cooling system was plumbed backwards and the fittings to the heater core were loose blowing coolant all over the passenger side of the compartment. Guess it isn't really that bad because the whole interior is a joke and will be redone anyway. Oh yeah and forget about gas because the filler adaptor "we have this safety filler setup that is the way to go" was welded so poorly that it leaks like crazy so you can't fill the car up. Oh gauges we don't need no stinking gauges, or at least ones that work! Cross-threaded bolts into the head to mount the headers... hey no problem there! Or how about custom offsets on the fully polished Team III wheels (look awesome would highly recommend even at $500 a pop) that have the wheels far enough out of the wheel wells in the front that guess what they will have to be replaced... what am I complaining about the glass is half full because the offset on the rear at least is off toward the inside which means they can be shimmed... nice! These are just a few examples and I could go on for pages.

I too paid on empty promises and will be spending the next 6 months and who knows how much money trying to fix things. The workmanship (stretch calling it that) was so poor that most everything will have to be redone or fixed. Thank goodness I took my brothers advice (Lawyer) and didn't make my final payment on Jay's word but waited to see the car. Needless to say the money was not sent and will not even come close to covering the rework but at least it is something.

I was foolish and relied on "Expertise". I was told so many excuses that I just came to expect them along with not answering the phone or returning of messages. I had just convinced myself that the workmanship would warrant the delays... don't fall into this trap... good business is good business!

I do have to say Don Scott did everything in his power to help and for that I will be eternally grateful and will be a repeat customer. I would recommend him to anyone. A true honest businessman!

I will however say that neither Jay nor DV were up front as to the situation at hand with full ownership changing hands. Shame on me for not asking about the "Partnership" in greater detail but shame on them for not being like Don. I don't feel completely at fault but they both relied on Buyer Be Ware.

Well I am done... I have my car... a bit of a crushed dream... but I am thankful for all that I do have in life and with that I wish you all well!

Old 05-09-2005, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Angry

I am not in litagation,but perhaps I should be. I sincerily believe; and can more than substantiate, that I have tried to deal with Jay Kowalik/Classic by Elite for WAY too long. I drove a long way to sit down to talk in person with Jay. I am merely using this forum to warn others of the quality of work coming out of this shop and his unwillingness to resolve the issues in good faith. I have a $7400. paint job that looks like ****! Is this not the place to inform others of experiences with vendors,etc. Good or bad?
Jay has ruined my dream, Thanks Jay!!!!!
charlie

Last edited by starwolf56; 05-09-2005 at 08:13 PM..
Old 05-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Starwolf...obviously wasn't referring to you.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nor me! I truly hope those with problems get a fair resolution.
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 05-10-2005, 06:33 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick

I am waiting for my check.

Old 05-10-2005, 06:36 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by J. T. Toad

Rick

I am waiting for my check.
From me? Please begin holding your breath
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 05-10-2005, 06:49 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is that not a direct threat to me?

are you sure you are Rick? or pseudonym for Jay? Jay using your account?

Too bad you won't put your money where your MOUTH went.

bunny smart.

I'm done.

Last edited by J. T. Toad; 05-10-2005 at 06:54 AM..
Old 05-10-2005, 06:54 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No threat, just a request. About as realistic of a request as me sending you money for something I had nothing to do with.
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 05-10-2005, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

I have tried really hard with Jay. I am the type of person that takes a man at his word. If your word isn't any good then what is.

Jay has taken advantage of quite a few people and his quality and workmanship are totally sub standard.

It's time for Jay to close the doors and get into something he knows. It isn't just my products that he has done this with.

I am trying to make good with all the customers that have been taken advantage of by Jay. At this point he owes me more than $20,000. This is a big deal to a small company and I have waited almost 2 years for some type of payment to no avail. I have tried working out sometype of payment plan with him but he just lies and continues on.

At one point I drove down to Ohio to get his Motorcycle as partial payment.

I have supplied thousands of dollars worth of parts that he received the money for and never delivered. One order in particular was for over $ 8000. I have been covering his ass for almost 2 years and I can't afford it anymore. I have tried to work with Jay and help him through his tough times. The only thing I have recieved back is trouble and expense. I feel awful about the condition of the cars he has delivered. There is absolutely no excuse for the quality and condition of the cars.

Jay needs to step up, be a man of his word and work to resolve his problems. This isn't going to be easy because he is so far in debt I see no options for him.

I had big plans for Jay and Classics by Elite and I don't take my business relationships lightly. I should have stopped my business relationship much earlier but again I took him at his word. I also did not realize the poor quality he was delivering to his customers.

My only option at this point is to try and help the people he took advantage of. I know I will never collect what is owed my company. I can only attach a lien against his property and hope there will be something left.

So, to everyone that thinks we are Jay bashing, you are correct. I need to tell everyone that has any intention of doing business with him what the outcome will be.

I know he reads this and I'm sure in his worldly wisdom he will try and start a slander suit against me. He seems to have money for attorneys but nothing else. This man has no right to do what he does and he knows it.

Jay, it's time to stop.
Don