Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2006, 06:42 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey--when I first started out, I didn't even realize the importance of having a more exacting replication--I thought that if it wasn't real, it didn't matter if it was more of a hot rod than a replica...but then it started mattering to me. This has been a really enlightening research process and I don't really expect that I'll ever arrive at a place where I'm satisfied with the choice I've made if it isn't a real 60's Cobra.

Back to reality, though, and facing the fact that I may not ever be able to convince the wifey that investing in a real 60's Cobra would be a good investment. My partnership with her is much more important than a car or an investment opportunity if she never understands or feels comfortable with a 'risk' like that, as she sees it. Thank God I realize that she's more important than this investment! Life would really be turned upside down and surely be sucking if I didn't understand this!
35olds likes this.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

SSSSSnot,

If you want a Shelby CSX car there is a painted, plumbed, upholstered, instruments, suspension complete roller for sale right now for $60k and there may be room for negotiation, put in your engine/tran/drive shaft and you get down the road in a "60's" version produced today that is as close as you can get with out spending north of $500k. Still a replica but, a Shelby replica.

New CSX4000 Shelby Cobra for sale

Special K worked for Shelby and he is a great guy and terrific builder, Kris could help with sourcing engine etc.

Just a thought.....

TR
Old 08-25-2006, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Here's a link on the ERA site that compares different manufacturer's profiles with ERA on a 427 Cobra:

http://www.erareplicas.com/427/profiles/index.htm

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 08-25-2006, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

As Doug mentioned above, these are right from ERA's site:

Top: CSX4000
Middle: ERA
Lower: Unique

Not to sound defensive, but that Unique photo is a poor quality shot compared to the other two, and the angle isn't the same (should be lower and slightly to the right).

Last edited by Russ Dickey; 08-25-2006 at 11:19 AM..
Old 08-25-2006, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #644 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I did this comparison a little while ago. I'll see if I can get a side shot of Kelly Mullin's Unique this weekend and add it to the comaparison. I'll have to put my orange lens filter on however.

I'm getting old too fast and smart too slow!
Old 08-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Great Thread,

The ERA web site is always great and looking at all the profiles redefines perky butt, droopy butt and original butt profiles along with all of the other subtle and not so subtle differences.

TR
Old 08-25-2006, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssnot
I'm going to check out the Unique factory later next month. It does help to know that what I've been seeing in teh Unique body in photographs probably really does exist if in fact their SC body was taken from a street version and tweeked. The droopy rear really does seem to be more than just a suspension adjustment issue--at least in photos. I'm not liking the solid feel comments (bonded vs. non-bonded body) or the handling comments either.

Has anyone else noticed that the more they research the more they keep moving up in kit prices--it's like the mind keeps trying to tell me to stop reaearching because it knows that I won't be able to live with a certain car if I find out any more good info about it! I'm working against myself and my pocketbook, even in my own interest! I think that the real fear here is that I'll wind up arriving at a Shelby Inc. copy of the 60's Cobra--and that just really irritates me to no end!

Where the hell is New Britain CT, anyway?! Mayquest here I come!
New Britain is approximately 30 minutes south of Hartford, CT and approximately 1.5 to 2.0 hours east of "The City" as they say in NY.

I also compared the spec sheets, photos, and completed cars (in person though rarely side by side) of both the Unique and ERA 289FIA cars prior to ordering. I chose the ERA because I thought it appeared to be closer to the originals and I thought that the ERA's looked to be higher quality, build and material-wise. I also liked the options offered by ERA for their cars. In the end you have to choose what you will be satisfied with not what everybodyelse likes so check them out in person!

If you're considering the Shelby 4XXX series and you're after originality, check their specs carefully. When I compared the spec sheets for the 1960's originals with those put out for the 4XXX and the new 289 series cars, it appeared that the new Shelby units have wider wheel wells (and possibly the body also) than the originals.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:27 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenG
New Britain is approximately 30 minutes south of Hartford, CT and approximately 1.5 to 2.0 hours east of "The City" as they say in NY.

I also compared the spec sheets, photos, and completed cars (in person though rarely side by side) of both the Unique and ERA 289FIA cars prior to ordering. I chose the ERA because I thought it appeared to be closer to the originals and I thought that the ERA's looked to be higher quality, build and material-wise. I also liked the options offered by ERA for their cars. In the end you have to choose what you will be satisfied with not what everybodyelse likes so check them out in person!

If you're considering the Shelby 4XXX series and you're after originality, check their specs carefully. When I compared the spec sheets for the 1960's originals with those put out for the 4XXX and the new 289 series cars, it appeared that the new Shelby units have wider wheel wells (and possibly the body also) than the originals.
You're killin' me! --Now I've got to move up to the Kirkham?! Jane--stop this krazy thing! Sheesh!

Somebody shoot me!

I hope I really like the Unique 427SC when I visit the factory next month!

I DO thoroughly like the Unique comp car. Maybe that'll be what I wind up with.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed that the more they research the more they keep moving up in kit prices--
Yup...exactly what happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplin
When I first started looking, I was going to get a Factory 5. I ended up with an ERA
I went through the exact same start and end point, with a stop along the way at Unique.... . Figure out the max you can afford and then add about $10k. A Cobra purchase has to hurt a bit...

by the way, all said, a used car is definitely the best value

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....

Last edited by luke-44; 08-25-2006 at 02:32 PM..
Old 08-25-2006, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 289 FIA #2112
Not Ranked     

I too went from the factory five to the unique, hung out there for a while, then ended up with the era. I had a tough choice between the two as they both have good product. I reviewed both this web site and the unique web site for quite some time. It was tough because I liked the look of both the ERA and the Unique product. In the end I found tha the ERA with body bonded option fit within my budget and timeline.

In the end, you need to be happy with what you chose and then don't look back.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 351W
Not Ranked     

I anyone gets a better side shot of a Unique, send it to ERA at eracars@sbcglobal.net. They ask for it on their site.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA, 425 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Rick's ERA 644 and Kelly Mullin's car were in fact parked in the grass,side by side, at the last Houston Cobra Club meeting. I'm not sure if anyone has any pictures, but it was the first time I had seen those two cars right next to each other.
I did spend a little time walking around them to see what the differences were. There aren't many from the exterior, the roll bar is exposed on the ERA and the rear fenders are a tad different. The first thing you notice about these cars is that they both sit much lower in the rear, about 8 inches at the top of the quarters, than most other cars. In person I do not think the Unique sits any lower in the rear than an ERA. If one is lower than the other it is most likely due to personal preference on where to set the shocks for ride height.
Under the hood they are completely different, mostly due to the positioning of the radiator and the shock tower brace. Another difference is that most Unique owners run the wiring so that it is hidden from plain sight, on the other hand the ERA replicates the original car with the wiring on the firewall and uses glass fuses instead of the more modern style in the Unique.
These were the two cars I chose to decide upon as well and ended up with the Unique. I spent a ton of time doing research and knew I couldn't go wrong with a 427 Deluxe Pallet Kit from Unique.
Well I went to their homecoming event (The main reason I decided on a Unique over the ERA) and while there fell in love with FIA car. I had looked at the ERA comp car and although I liked it I always liked their 427 better. I changed my order at that point.
As far as quality of the car it is great. I haven't had a chance to fully sort it out yet, but there aren't any rattles and it has less cowl shake than my cousin's new M3 conv (no kidding). The car handles fantastic, much better than I thought it would. The steering is very responsive and direct much like driving a big go-kart. And the ride is the most amazing part it is very comfortable.
Overall the ERA is the more original car, but the Unique is just as close with the body.
As far as resale goes the most important factor will be the build quality and attention to detail.

Good luck,

Justin

By the way... these message boards are the only place where people care about what brand of Cobra you have.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke-44
Yup...exactly what happens

I went through the exact same start and end point, with a stop along the way at Unique.... . Figure out the max you can afford and then add about $10k. A Cobra purchase has to hurt a bit...

by the way, all said, a used car is definitely the best value

don't think I didn't have a stop at Unique along the way too

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 08-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Excalibur, then Classic Roadster, now ERA. The search for even better authenticity never seems to end for some of us.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
You're killin' me! --Now I've got to move up to the Kirkham?! Jane--stop this krazy thing! Sheesh!

Somebody shoot me!

I hope I really like the Unique 427SC when I visit the factory next month!

I DO thoroughly like the Unique comp car. Maybe that'll be what I wind up with.
Actually, Kirkham makes the shelby aluminum body so they are basically identical.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Heres a fun picture from the ERA web site. WHICH of these two cars is the VINTAGE Cobra and which is the ERA Cobra?

The 'real' Cobra has the classic emblem on the hood, red and white, the ERA Cobra sports a bluish emblem on the hood.

Last edited by Excaliber; 08-28-2006 at 09:45 AM..
Old 08-28-2006, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

My compliments to everyone here (well almost), despite a few honest mistakes here and there. The majority of the comments seemed fair and reflect the reality that choosing one or the other of these two models is personal and reflects factors such as price and personal taste.

Both ERA and Unique have been around for at least 20-something years, offer quality products, first-class customer support, and rarely if ever disappoint their owners. The longevity of both and the loyalty of both owner groups should speak volumes...............

You can't really make a mistake with either.

Last edited by clayfoushee; 08-28-2006 at 04:01 PM..
Old 08-28-2006, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, S.A. 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

I agree with my brother, but why would you want to build one when you can buy a perfect car that is well sorted out? Buy mine.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     
Default ERA Frame

Below is a photo of my ERA square tube frame

Here is a photo of the control arm on Tony's Unique, I guess he was just having a senior moment

Last edited by ERA 626; 08-28-2006 at 06:56 PM..
Old 08-28-2006, 08:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman
I agree with my brother, but why would you want to build one when you can buy a perfect car that is well sorted out? Buy mine.
Gasman has a pretty good point!

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/