LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2006, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssnot
From what I read here, the common opinion is that ERA is a better quality car than Unique. Without having two right here in front of me to examine, can anyone tell me any non-opinionated, factual reasons why ERA is a better quality car than Unique--or vice versa.

*I did say FACTUAL reasons, didn't I? **Please, please, no wise acres--I've asked a pretty darn straight forward question here. If you don't intend to answer it, please just move on to another thread! ***BTW, this is the CONSUMER WATCH category, so this question sure ought to be legal.

Sheesh--can anyone tell I've been beaten upside the head too much around here lately?!

Thanks much for your FACTUAL information!
You're asking for a "factual" reason as to why one brand is a better quality car than the other? How do you expect people to describe quality with words?

I have helped build a Unique as well as building my own ERA (ERA535) and I can only say that there are many, many differences between the two cars.

The ERA is far and away the better car. The shape of the Unique is very good IMO - but when you look at things like the angle of the steering column and how high it is on the Unique vs the correct angle and height on the ERA, the fact that the Unique has a fiberglass "tub" that forms the interior vs the riveted aluminum to steel that forms the ERA interior....etc etc....no contest.

One thing I did prefer on the Unique was the locating links that travel rearward from the rear axle that locate the rear axle in a better way.

Of course this is my opinion....
Old 08-28-2006, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Interesting..........I'd never noticed the steering-column, angle issue. Since it came from a very credible source, I'll have to check that out. I'd hate for it to be much lower than it is as a tall, old person getting in and out. It seems pretty low for my body-type anyway.

Unique does weld in steel plates on the frame for various important attachment points like the seats, so it's not just a "fiberglass tub." But, I do learn something new everyday.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1007
Send a message via ICQ to kbisconti
Not Ranked     

I have owned a Unique and Hurricane and was quite pleased with both. The company Unique and Hurricane are top notch. But compareing a Uniqe to a ERA is not fair. A ERA will cost about $10,000. more to build with the same options. To be honest, it is probably worth it if you can afford it. The ERA has better seats, better parking brake set up, meaner shape and stance, better front suspension, more original qualities , stronger frame with a x brace, and brings more money when completed, etc. If you can't afford a ERA buy a Unique or Hurricane Cobra. Both are excellent values. ERA is in my opion the top of the line in glass Cobras and probably a better car to own and drive on the road than most alum. Cobras. Ken
Old 08-29-2006, 05:23 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Does anyone feel like addressing the issue of only one control arm on the rear suspension with the Jag-based IRS here? To me, it seems like a cause for concern but apparently many people are OK with using the axle as the upper control arm.

I believe the original cars had upper and lower arms and a couple of the replicas have upper and lower arms but with the exception of the Kirkham cars, I think they're based on the Ford IRS. ERA's optional rear suspension may also have upper and lower arms; I can't recall.

Aren't you guys afraid of losing a U-joint and having the wheel flop up under the car? Or isn't this a real problem?

I don't mean to denigrate anyone's engineering or choice of cars here; I just thought this might be a place to ask for opinions on this issue.

Thanks,

Lowell
Old 08-29-2006, 08:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ERA modifies the Jag axles for additional strength. Breaking an axle is not something I would loose sleep over because it's just not a likley scenario.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowell W
Does anyone feel like addressing the issue of only one control arm on the rear suspension with the Jag-based IRS here? To me, it seems like a cause for concern but apparently many people are OK with using the axle as the upper control arm.

I believe the original cars had upper and lower arms and a couple of the replicas have upper and lower arms but with the exception of the Kirkham cars, I think they're based on the Ford IRS. ERA's optional rear suspension may also have upper and lower arms; I can't recall.

Aren't you guys afraid of losing a U-joint and having the wheel flop up under the car? Or isn't this a real problem?

I don't mean to denigrate anyone's engineering or choice of cars here; I just thought this might be a place to ask for opinions on this issue.

Thanks,

Lowell

As Pat Buckley mentioned above, Unique uses two rear trailing links/bars to stabilize the diff and half-shafts under loads. It forms a strong triangle with the differential and half shafts being the triangle's base. The apex of triangle is bolted to the rear-most chassis cross brace. The "pumpkin box" is reinforced with a steel plate over the original Jag design.

On both the ERA and the Unique IRS designs, it is rare to ever hear of a broken half-shaft or differential, and, of course, these cars tend to be exposed to many smokey, standing starts during their lifetimes.

I wish I could say the same for the Corvette C5/C6 design. There have already been number of half-shaft failures on the new C6/Z06.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:07 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Thanks for your replies. I recall a scene in "Bitten by the Snake" where a driver lost a rear wheel (trunion assembly, I think), causing the car to catch fire. I was under the impression (maybe from something I read here?) that it was caused by a separated U-joint which allowed the rear suspension to come apart.

Certainly uncommon and maybe it was caused by something else entirely. Just seems safer to me to have an upper control arm or link arrangement. But...maybe I'm just a "belt and suspenders" kinda guy.

Lowell
Old 08-29-2006, 09:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's a matter of risk management and your personal acceptable risks. A Cobra, ANY Cobra is dangerous on many levels. Stuff happens, it can happen anywhere, anytime.

I recall a run down the dragstrip and 'nailing' 2nd gear. For some reason the tires broke loose big time, they hadn't done that before... Perhaps I just happened to hit a slick spot or something. I shift into 2nd at 65 mph and darn near lost control of the car due to fishtailing as the car burned rubber. I was so shocked it took a little time to lift! Stuff happens.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

The ERA is far and away the better car. The shape of the Unique is very good IMO - but when you look at things like the angle of the steering column and how high it is on the Unique vs the correct angle and height on the ERA, the fact that the Unique has a fiberglass "tub" that forms the interior vs the riveted aluminum to steel that forms the ERA interior....etc etc....no contest.

The above was quoted from an earlier post. Sorry, trying to learn the ropes on posting for this forum.

I am still comparing cars, and both ERA and Unique are among my final choices, along with Superformance. The all fiberglass "tub" of the Unique that you mention is the one thing that bothers me a little about their car. Was this a cost saving measure? I would think that aluminum panels like the ERA would be stronger. Any futher thoughts on this?

Last edited by Archrms; 09-11-2006 at 05:46 AM..
Old 09-11-2006, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Strength is not the issue with the fiberglass "tub" interior liner - it's more a question of authenticity to the original construction methods. The originals used a "birdgage" style subframe assembly to which the inner and exterior panels were attached. It's another one of the nice details on the ERA but to me not so critical a deciding factor as both cars still have glass bodies. Unique uses a one piece body with a solidly built, integrated fiberglass tub and steel cowl hoop forming the cockpit. It is plenty strong and if anything, contributes to additional overall rigidity and stiffness - probably along with a bit of extra weight too. There is no cowl shake on my 18 year old Unique, even after years of abuse on the bumpy, twisty, potholed roads of St. Lucia.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 09-11-2006 at 06:31 AM..
Old 09-11-2006, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

Buzz,

Thanks for the clarification. One other difference I noted between the cars was that the gas tank of the Unique sits partially in the trunk, while the ERA trunk is flat. Was there a specific reason for doing this? What are the pros and cons of each configuration?
Old 09-11-2006, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archrms
Buzz,

Thanks for the clarification. One other difference I noted between the cars was that the gas tank of the Unique sits partially in the trunk, while the ERA trunk is flat. Was there a specific reason for doing this? What are the pros and cons of each configuration?
ERA puts the fuel tank above the rear suspension like the original 289. That allows us to put a real spare tire well at the bottom rear of the trunk.