10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4300, C5AE-H, Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default Milan Italy Very Dissapointting!

This town is no NY! At least in NY you know if you go into a decent establishment that the odds are you know the prices and are only charged that. Here (yes still here my second day) is a ripoff to say the least. We had lunch and dinner and both times were blatently charged for more items received with double talk and confusion to try and hide the overcharge from the servers. While walking in town you need to keep your wallet in your pocket so that you do not fall prey to the gypsy families walking around. I guess I expect more from a city that would want a good reputation so that people come back, but that is not going to be the case here. I will never return or reccomend this s..t hole! I will be touring about nine more towns in Italy and am hoping that my experiences improve. Sorry I had to vent a little, I am so bummed at this point!
Old 04-23-2007, 11:49 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

I did not have that problem in Venice.

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 04-24-2007, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

Nor did I, Venice was very safe or at least we felt that way. Being a city on water, walking is a big part of how you get around. We would walk from establishment to establishment up to 1 or 2 in the morning and had no problems.
Would like to go again someday so if you go there please post what you find.
Thanks
Old 04-24-2007, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #473 427 every option, Keithcraft aluminum FE 482 ci. Mass Flo FI. Tremec TKO 600.
Not Ranked     
Default Same opinion in 2002

Same thing happened to me in 02, Milan is not the place to go. I think Venice deports all the undesirables to Milan.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Look at it this way Sal, hopefully it all gets better after Milan, enjoy your trip, don't let one bad encounter screw up the whole thing for you.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

I have been all over Italy a few times (but not Milan) and found the people to be very nice and very classy people. A lot of gracious maturity overall. They come across as good people who love life. My wife and I like it there so much that we have casually discussed living there 6 months of the year when we retire.

________

Last edited by CobraEd; 04-24-2007 at 09:56 AM..
Old 04-24-2007, 10:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: n/a
Send a message via Yahoo to imagine2frolic
Not Ranked     

lineslinger said it best. Don't let this ruin the rest of the trip. When you get lemons, make lemonade, and I bet the rest of the trip turns around....enjoy
Old 04-24-2007, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 498
Not Ranked     

You got to go South! Tuscony Cerento, South young man. I was there last year I concure just another big city. I was only in that area long enough to go to the Lamborghini Factory. Don't be afraid to take the train-you will see the most beautiful sights and enjoy a cold one at the same time. Have fun and remember your are just another American Toursit- Every body in the rest of the world are taught from birth how to strip an American of his money. Have fun relax.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the kind words. We went to lake Como today and also to Lagana in Switzerland and I can tell you it is an absolutley gorgeous part of the area! The very rich and famouse have there Vilas on lake Como and it is breathtaking to say the least. And the little town Lagana (I think that,s right) is as beautiful and majestic a town that you will ever sourounded by seens of the mountains and lakes it isa must see at least once in a lifetime.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I just got back from a week in Milan and had a great experience. The people were very gracious and friendly and the prices were comparable to what I would expect to pay in the states. I never encountered a situation where someone tried to overcharge me and I hit a variety of restaurants and shops including big and small restaurants in old town Milan as well as outlying cities like Bergamo and Lake Lecco.

I hope the rest of your trip is more enjoyable.

Chris
Old 04-24-2007, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/SBC/Jag
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Gerace
This town is no NY!

And how disapointing would it be if it was?

"I travelled 3k miles, and i could have just driven over a bridge ?"

We come into this world naked, screaming, and covered in blood. With dedication and a little planning, you can go out the same way.

View my overflow Gallery (much more to come !)
Old 04-24-2007, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2101 Diamond Ed.; 460
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Gerace
Thanks for the kind words. We went to lake Como today and also to Lagana in Switzerland and I can tell you it is an absolutley gorgeous part of the area! The very rich and famouse have there Vilas on lake Como and it is breathtaking to say the least. And the little town Lagana (I think that,s right) is as beautiful and majestic a town that you will ever sourounded by seens of the mountains and lakes it isa must see at least once in a lifetime.
When I read your original post my reply was going to be to go to Lake Como/Bellagio...Breathtakingly beautiful and a great time. We walked a ways outside of Bellagio to find a place for lunch away from the tourist area. We found a little place that was basically someones home...we ate amongst their swingset in the backyard. They spoke no english and we mustered barely enough Italian to order. As we left they called us back to share a Limoncello with them. Can't wait to go back there.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It is Lugano
But the name is not so important!

It is a beautiful place to sit on the lace and enjoy an ice-cream. And if you've seen the as well the lake of Como, you did a good decision.
For all which don't, know, This is the lake which you can see at the Star Wars Episode's (Villa of Padme)!

And there are a lot of beautiful places here in Switzerland, and as we drive as well Cobras, it is perfect!

But telling you about Milano. It is one of the expensive city's in Europe, and therefore a lot of pure people tray there luck there! But don't think about this, enjoy Italy, Switzerland and the rest of Europe.

Regards from Switzerland
ALF
Old 04-25-2007, 02:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Findling 001 - starting scratch build
Not Ranked     
Smile Milan.....

Been to Milan several times, nary a problem. If you want tickets for a performance at La Scala, buy them in advance before leaving as
the theatre is usually sold out for months in advance. Dollars don't buy
many Euros, so prices can be a bit steep but if you stay from the
places that cater strictly to tourists, it can be fairly reasonable.
But as others have mentioned, I found the people to be friendly, polite,
and often willing to go out their way to help you.

....Fred
Old 04-25-2007, 03:57 AM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

Ah, you lucky bum, Italy has always been one of my favorite places, I was lucky enough to drive from the South East a long the West coast, into France, up to UK and back through Switzerland to Italy to Greece. We loved every minute of it. Spent most of our time in small towns away from tourist, camped sometimes along the way. If you are on a tour, you will encounter some of the problems you mentioned, everyone knows where you are, when you are going to be there and that you do'nt have time to argue. Keep calm, hands on your wallet and your camera and never show your money until you confirm the price....

and don't let your credit card out of your sight if you can help it, particularly if its an American based card, some shaddy places have machines to swipe your data and your card travels without you to exotic places and buys exotic services. Best way to prevent that is to call your card company, give them your itinerary and ask them not to honor charges from places other than those on your route. Then call again when you get home.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

I was working in Florence a few weeks back and heard quite a few American accents as we wandered around the streets. I was told that certain types in Milan and Rome are just too happy to relieve you of your dollars if you speak Americanese....and doubly so in Naples! Maybe try a British accent - you'll be 'robbed' a bit less. The price of food was quite high, but the quality..! I was accompanied by a full-time Italian which also helps.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:18 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Legate
Maybe try a British accent - you'll be 'robbed' a bit less.
You guys have an accent?!?!?!

Quote:
The price of food was quite high, but the quality..! I was accompanied by a full-time Italian which also helps.
I'm a part-time Italian, will you take me with you next time?

Rick

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 04-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Went to Venice and did not want to leave! It was my second time there and town is simply amazing, It just gets better with age. The people are much more friendlier than Milan and more honest with how they charge. The waiters in all the resturants are also more willing to speak english or help you translate your Italian and have fun with you. Went to Siena and that was another great and highly reccomended experience! Walking up and down the hilly town streats lined with old historic buildings and quaint little shops and resturants! Another highlz reccomend city. In Florence today! Another wow! Piza was another story. Nice to see the tower but the crappy out of the country vendors were a real disgrace to this historic town. I will not go back unless that stuff is out of there. You are constantlY pestered from the moment you get out of the bus until you get back on!
Old 05-01-2007, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, V8, Manual Trans, Htr, Wipers, Radio Delete
Not Ranked     

We have travelled back and forth and up and down Italy including Sicily and every visit (too many to count) is some kind of adventure. Had to sleep in our Mercedes one night when every Hotel in Italy was full. Got pulled off the tarmac in Catania when mount Etna errupted and they closed the airport. We always drive and go as "native" as possible. We have never had a bum experience. Are you traveling on a tour bus? It's like mobile homes attract tornadoes, buses and large tourist groups attract the bottom feeders. If you can get a car and blend in, it's a different experience.
Frank
Old 05-02-2007, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2101 Diamond Ed.; 460
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Messina
If you can get a car and blend in, it's a different experience.
Frank
Agreed. If you are ever in the market for a German auto definitely take advantage of their Euro delivery program. It is a great way to see the country...and it saves you some money!

Joe