Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Motors, 351W, Richmond T-10 4 speed,
Not Ranked     
Default Contemporary on Ebay

Too bad it has a Chevy motor

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-...t_17958wt_1167
Old 01-29-2010, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1985 Cobra 427
Not Ranked     

Hi
Sorry , I can never understand why anyone would put a chevy engine into a ford cobra ?? To me it kind of defeats the reason of having a cobra , Have you ever seen a corvette with a ford engine ?
Peter
Old 01-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Chebby engine or no, it's still a good price for a CCX car.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 01-30-2010, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Bottoms up!

People continually refer to Contemporarys as the most accurate (fiberglass) replica ever, but I just cannot get over the high, upturned rear end and sidepipes running below the bottom of the side bodywork. They may have been great quality cars, but these features completely ruin the look of the car for me.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 01-30-2010 at 09:26 AM..
Old 01-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It has to be the camera angle, but that last picture makes the rear fender look out of proportion to me.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-30-2010, 10:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There are a "mixed bag", many are very accurate, many are not. This ebay example is obviously not, due to the motor alone. Some CCX came with a solid axle as well, a deal killer for me.

BUT, with many of the early replicas the specs were closer to the original than is common today. Side oiler was a given, for instance, whereas today we see a LOT of small blocks or 385 series engines. That just wasn't an option in the early days, 427 or 428 was the rule not the exception. Interior appointments as well, closer to original specs. In many ways an older replica is a great buy for those looking for a little more authenticity at a good price. Still, one must shop carefully.

I was particulary taken with my personal ERA because of the motor primarily. I liked the original high riser heads, OEM intake and side oiler engine. I also HAD to have IRS and an accurate interior, things you "see" more than things you don't (like the frame) were an important consideration in my book. The body shape in general was also important, Contemporaries are "close enough", FFR and many others are not.

This particular Contemporary wouldn't even be a consideration for myself. I did consider a Contemporary, with a side oiler, just before I bought the ERA. Both were about the same price. The solid axle killed the Contemp deal for me in spite of it's otherwise accurate build, good looks and specifications.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Camera angles can be deceiving. Here are three photos of the same car from three different angles. It appears that the rear fender lengthens as the camera angle changes.

This is a Contemporary.. or is was before the SUV hit it.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 01-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, an impressive example of how the lens can distort your perception.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

I can understand mixing different engines, frames and parts with Hot Rods, because guys from the 50's compiled what ever they could get hold of to buikd a car. But not in a Cobra !

That's like putting a Ford FE/side oiler,................in a Corvette !

I know that Rich Anderson (Gessford machine) built a HEMI, for a customers Cobra.

What ever turns your crank,.... I guess.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have some experience with the ccx cars. When they were built by the book the rear end of the car is 3 to 4 inches higher than it should be. When lowering the car the neg camber increases from 0 to -3 deg, this reqiuires shimming of the drive shaft in order to attain -1.5 degs.
This one change drives the rear wheels into the wheel well where they belong, you shouldn't see the top of the tire.
Problem number 2, the rear stub axles were widened about one inch ( to increase the track) and this moves the rear wheels out to the fenders. This also makes the car look different. Replacing these custom stub axles with stock jag stub axles removes the extra inch and aids in rear fender clearance.
Thses two mods will help hide or deminish the high trunk look.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Also, the side pipes are lower than the "norm". I think the side pipes should be black and that will aslo help. You will never burn your legs in a ccx.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Some engines, like the Hemi, just go well where ever you want to put them. Piece of art in the living room or the man cave, whatever car you happen to have around. I mean you just can't go wrong with any application. I wouldn't even have a problem with a Vette running a Hemi! I'd get a kick out seeing a Ford engine in a Vette, that would be good for a laugh (but thats all it would be good for).

DV put that Viper V-10 in a Classic Roadster with the flip front end, that was pretty cool, very much in keeping with the "hot rod" spirit. Seem's kind of strange putting another brand engine in a Cobra and still trying to keep within the "spirit of a Cobra". Just call it a hot rod at that point, run whatever wheels you want, put in a killer stereo, maybe a video screen between the seats, hang a cow bell from the rear bumper.

Last edited by Excaliber; 01-30-2010 at 05:18 PM..
Old 01-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Some engines, like the Hemi, just go well where ever you want to put them. Piece of art in the living room or the man cave, whatever car you happen to have around. I mean you just can't go wrong with any application. I wouldn't even have a problem with a Vette running a Hemi! I'd get a kick out seeing a Ford engine in a Vette, that would be good for a laugh (but thats all it would be good for).
You'll never see a Ford motor in a Corvette. Why? The same reason nobody would put a Chevy motor in a REAL cobra (built in the 60's). You would be destroying the value of the car. The vast majority of Fords built prior to 1950 are powered by Chevy. Why? Because of availability and HP per $$$$. I actually considered a SBC for my Cobra but decided to try something different and built a Ford motor instead. These are nothing more than REPLICAS, put anything you want in them.

Jim
Old 01-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
These are nothing more than REPLICAS, put anything you want in them.
We often here that, so where do YOU draw the line? Why not raise it and put 4WD Subaru guts in it? Red crushed velvet seats anyone? 24" wheels maybe? After all, it's "just a replica". You WILL draw the line somewhere, I'll draw the line at Chevy engine because to me it's MORE than "just a replica", it's a connection with history.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
We often here that, so where do YOU draw the line? Why not raise it and put 4WD Subaru guts in it? Red crushed velvet seats anyone? 24" wheels maybe? After all, it's "just a replica". You WILL draw the line somewhere, I'll draw the line at Chevy engine because to me it's MORE than "just a replica", it's a connection with history.
Personal preference. Nothing more. It will never be an original Cobra regardless of what you do to it. Like I said, if it wasn't built in the 60's, it's just a copy of an original. Call it a REPLICA, CLONE or even a TRIBUTE, it is just that, nothing more.

Jim
Old 01-30-2010, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Another Ford/Chevy fight? Someone go out & get popcorn!

Little better fit on the tires, maybe a little smaller, lower the rear & it would probably look pretty damn good. I think I'm gonna come up with a valve cover & Distributor conversion kit for you chevy guys
Old 01-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by *13* View Post
Another Ford/Chevy fight? Someone go out & get popcorn!
Not really, more of a "I have a replica but think it's real, fight"
Old 01-30-2010, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: hurricane 1075
Not Ranked     

Jim
what if shelby contracted someone to build it?
I know your answer but many here would beg to differ

Bobby
Old 01-30-2010, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Motors, 351W, Richmond T-10 4 speed,
Not Ranked     

I always wondered why they're called replicas and not reproductions which to me has a slightly more dignified sound. Whatever, either way it's a knock off and that is what I have till I win the lottery and even then I will probably still have a replica or reproduction because I'll have a lot more fun then tooling around in an original.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by berzerko View Post
Jim
what if shelby contracted someone to build it?
I know your answer but many here would beg to differ

Bobby
I don't care if the old b*st*rd hand built it himself, it would still be a replica of the original and the value would reflect that.

Jim