Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default torsion vs coil over front end

Hi, newbie here to the forum. I have an opportunity to purchase a contemporary frame with HD torsion front end, is it a huge difference in handling compared to the newer coil over design?
Thanks,
Daniel
Old 06-21-2010, 11:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

Yes there is a difference coil overs are better for turns.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default What are you looking to do with the car??

Danielg Dan if you are looking for a street car and a smoother ride on long drives torsion bars are better. This being that the shocks are the same. There is not alot of adjustment to the bars without changing them if you are looking for better handling. Coil springs and shocks are more adjustable for height, dampening, rebound, easier to change spring rates, and cheaper to. If you are looking for track car, coil over is a better setup IMO Rick L. Ps it will also be easier to get parts for coil over setup than torsion bar for your car. This is something you want to look into first, getting parts that contemp is now gone as a builder company.

Last edited by RICK LAKE; 06-22-2010 at 03:26 AM..
Old 06-22-2010, 04:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

The Jag is a heavier car than a glass Cobra. The torsion bars I think are a bit of a hard ride. I know someone who is working on a coil over conversion for a Jag front end in his spare time.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

thanks everyone, does anyone know of a coil over frame for sale?
Real world, this car will probably never see the track. but I guess never say never.
daniel
Old 06-22-2010, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

Don't discount the torsion bar frame. There was a guy here a couple of years ago (Racer X 99) Roger Davis who raced his torsion bar Contemporary on a regular basis. The next quess you need to know is where are you going to get a body?
Roger gallery.
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...at=500&thumb=1
Old 06-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I owned CCX3682 and never found the car to lack in the handling department. I did want to make the conversion to coilover however for detail versus handling issues. I have driven both torsion and coilover on the street and never noticed a difference. On the track I am sure with a skilled driver there might be difference however that would be a limited few who could take advantage.

At the NH Vintage races the fastest car on the track was a Jaguar XKE (torsion bar and heavier than Cobra).

I would say don't let your decision be based upon torsion bar as CCX Cobras use both high quality suspension types. Keep in mind a CCX is a high quality car and if you insisted can make the conversion to coilover down the road.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good info.
I have a new ( new old stock) contemporary body still original gel coat, windshield, side pipes for FE, I purchased In about 1995 from Peter thru Lynn Parks. Long story, but the short version is I used to race open track with the King Cobra club with my vintage camaro and pretty much stomped there buts, so.....they said after 4yrs of this i should come back with a ford.
Hence the birth of the project. I just want a driver know because I have evolved with more cars and race options.
Oh, I built my own cobra frame very similar to a contemperary, round tube, with round tube back hoop section. I added and Round tube X brace for rigity, used 95 vette suspension retaining the original 90" wheel base, 57" front, 58" rear track, sweet mfg steering rack, magnesium halibrand II with knock off's. 427 with all the lemans goodies, richmond 5spd.
The biggest key is built it out of normalized 4130 chromemoly, heli-arced the whole darn thing of course.
But still not done. hundreds of hours engineering perfect( as I could get) 0-bumpsteer, proper ackerman, instant wheel centers, holy cr.....p it never ends. but it was on home stretch then after a 10yr break ( kids ) I had to do some major changes THE TIRE GODS DISCONTINUED THE TIRES!!!!! You know, the ones that determined the ride height. Bast......ds! But at last the revised/modified chassis is designed, and jigged and tack welded and tested for suspension travel clearences etc. BUT, every thing else...gas tank, break line brackets, this and that. Actually now that I write it down, I'ts not that far away.
Buying a contemporary frame makes it easy. My frame will accomidate most any body. I just want a driver now not a race car.
Ok, it was a long story.
Thanks,
Daniel
Old 06-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The blue CCX I just sold is one of the nicest riding CCX's I have been in. I believe it has Wilwood torsion bars instead of Jag ones which are a scosh softer.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428CJ, 4-Speed Ford, CCX-3057
Not Ranked     

I just replaced my early CCX(3057, street use) stock torsion bars with new HD racing units this Spring, forget the source but are online and have have lots of racing XKE goodies. Installed to the CCX HD specs they are noticeably stiffer but much flatter cornering then stock. I think they highlight the need to rebuild/replace the stock Koni shocks. Agree on all the advantages of coilovers (looking for the conversion Mickmate mentioned when available) but the torsion bar setup seems to work very well for street use, I would think propely set up track use would work just as well.
Kirk
Old 06-23-2010, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

This guy might sell you his frame.

http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds...uct=2886&cat=2
Old 06-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Danielg,

When I started my E-M build I selected the torsion bar setup as an option. The only reason I didn't follow through was that the coilover setup on that frame gave about 1-1/2" extra ground clearance.

The lowest point on the Jag torsion bar setup was the rear mount for the torsion bar itself. Dunno if the CCX frame mounts are any higher or not.

Still have the Jag parts: spindles, A-arms, PS rack, bars etc.

The Jag was one of the better handling cars in the 60s, so if CCX didn't screw up the geometry, their cars should be good road and track cars.

Tom

PS: If you use the Corvette diff, be sure to use the Dana 44 that came with the stick cars. The Dana 36s can be easily killed by a small block...
Old 06-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom raises a good point, the CCX's do have a low chassis mount on the torsion bars. I know of one that got in a losing argument with a raised manhole cover. The geometry is excellent with no noticeable bumpsteer and easy ride height adjustability.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Contemporary coil over conversion was designed by Kugle( Kugel Komponents.com), they sold all the jigs/fixtures to Kurt Hamilton, call Kugel, the can put you in touch with Kurt, he can supply you with anything you want/need.