Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile Contemporary Cobra Pin Drive QUESTION

Gentlemen, Mike Schulz here...B.C, Canada...finally pealed myself off the couch (just kiddn) and have time to work on my CCX. I have 6 Pindrive Hubs I just installed on the front suspension and my question is: How much does one machine off the backside of the trigo rims so that they fit? ( Contemporary Cobra SC Body). Right now the wingnut only threads on about 1.5 threads. I searched everywhere and this has not been discussed as far as I know. Thanks...Mike
Old 08-17-2010, 12:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

MIke, What do your hubs look like? Mine are extended out about 4 inches to fill the rear wheel well. If you have those kind of hubs, you may have to replace them with conventional Jag hubs. If you look that these pictures, you'll see the extended rear hub on the left and the conventional hub on the right. I don't know if this is what you have going on, but it may be worth a look.
Attached Images

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."

Last edited by Danr55; 08-17-2010 at 12:25 AM..
Old 08-17-2010, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

Mike,
Where did you get the hubs from? They should be long enough to fit any of the wheels out there, Trigo, Vintage, PS Engineering. Can you post a picture?
Old 08-17-2010, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Pin Drive Problem on Contemporary

Hello; The pin Drive "Hubs" I purchased some years ago from George P, they are the Gold Anodized set. The Rear ones mounted in the Aftermarket watts linkage / Bearing Carriers perfectly. The Front ones I bolted on a set of XKE MK3 Vented Brembo Rotors and installed on the Jag XKE Uprights, the problem is when I install the rim onto the Pin Drive "Pins"...it goes on as it should but the Wingnut only threads on a thread or two ( Fronts only). The obvious solution is that the Trigo rims that were destined for use on a Contemporary Cobra were machined with a specific backspace ...that is the magic question. Any advice greatly appreciated, Thank youName:  Pin Drive 001.jpg
Views: 3004
Size:  37.6 KB, Name:  Pin Drive 002.jpg
Views: 1906
Size:  36.9 KB
Old 08-18-2010, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

I know Trigo wheels only come in 1 offset, 3-1/2" they don't make custom offsets. Is the distance from the face of the hub to the end of the threaded part different from front to back? I think they should be the same. The only other thing i can suggest is call George and ask him or Ryan @ Lesher Motorsports who bought Upstates/Contemporary's Daytona Coupe business and uses these parts.
http://www.leshermotorsports.com/pro...uspension.html
Old 08-19-2010, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428CJ, 4-Speed Ford, CCX-3057
Not Ranked     

Hi: I'm going through this very topic right now, switching to G. Petrus' 6-pin drive hubs on CCX-3057 with (what I believe) stock XKE Series I f/r suspension. My hubs look identical to yours pictured. The rears worked great mocking up PS Engineering 15" S/C 2-piece wheels with the Petrus' hubs as related to threading on the spinner, the fronts I returned to Phil as we had a small miscue. Wheels were made using real Cobra hubs as a backspace reference (and not a Petrus hub) and arrived with not sufficient threads for the spinner. They should arrive back within a week so I'll post then. BTW, we used the backspace spec from the Contemporary manual and they're very, very nice wheels.
Kirk
Old 08-19-2010, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 FE Center Oiler w/ 48 IDA Webers
Send a message via AIM to zimmy
Not Ranked     

If I remember - I think that the front wheels are machined 3/4" on the hub insides. I had the same problem when I borrowed a set of mounted race slicks. They were from a continuation Shelby and they were off by about that amount. You could always call and ask Peter Bayer (previous owner of Contemporary). He is currently at Nisonger gauge.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

What is the dimesion from the outside vertical edge of the "coned" area where the knock off screws on to the back mounting pad surface?

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 09-01-2010, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Contemporary Pin Drive Hub Question

Hello Rick, The measurement I came up with from the Rim Mounting surface to the start of the "Cone" is 1/2". The Cone itself is 1/2" in length also. I have the same problem as I do not have enough threads for the spinner. I appreciate an insite ...when you have your delemma figured out. Cheers..Mike Schulz
Old 09-02-2010, 03:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Hi Mike, I have seen a couple of CCX's where the wheels sit too far out and the tire wants to rub the fender. It looks like you might have this problem with a tire on the rim. You will probably have to machine the back of the hub off to solve both of those problems. Are your wheels Trigos?
Old 09-02-2010, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hello Nick; Yes - Both sets of rims I have are Trigo. When I installed the Front Pin Drive hubs initially I suspected that the Mounting portion of the Hub looked too Thick. Would you have a measurement of how Thick the hub portion should be?. I will have to machine "that" thickness off the Rim mounting side in order to A) move the tire/Rim inboard , and B) gain more threaded portion for the wingnut to utilize. Thanks for your help. Mike Schulz
Old 09-23-2010, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile Trigo rims

Hi Mike
Why don't you stop by my shop and you can measure my Trigos.
Regards,
Mike.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Happened to me when I tried AC Mk4 wheels.
Are front and rear threads the same length?
Does the front wheel fit on the rear? If not, then your front wheel has too much "meat".