Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-29-2010, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default ccx with under car exhaust

Is there anyone on this board with under car exhaust on a ccx? After 1000 miles of usage I have come to the end of my rope. I can live with all the short comings of this type of car but the noise has become unbearable. Some of the ccx owners must have installed under car exhaust. Hints, tips or photos?
Old 08-30-2010, 01:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1964 FIA 289 Cobra made by Almac in NZ
Send a message via Skype™ to nzcsx2323
Not Ranked     
Default Underbody exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by racco View Post
Is there anyone on this board with under car exhaust on a ccx? After 1000 miles of usage I have come to the end of my rope. I can live with all the short comings of this type of car but the noise has become unbearable. Some of the ccx owners must have installed under car exhaust. Hints, tips or photos?
Hi, I have underbody exhaust on my 289FIA, and have rotated the tip outwards, this has made the car very drivable, the exhaust is 1 1/2 with dual 2 1/2 foot long mufflers, Best of luck getting yours sorted.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Has anyone tried the sanderson headers? They make a set for a pick up(390FE) that may work. The original set up was a log style manifold with a central exit.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, no ccx owners with a 427 and under car exhaust. Feels like the time when I first started looking for a cobra and I called factory5. I asked the standard questions and inquired about a flat hood, he told me I was the first to ask. I will post the results when I'm done, to help the other ccx owners that desire an ac and not a shelby cobra with stripes, pipes, hoops and scoops.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Question, is it just the volume that's driving you nuts? If you like the look, just not the noise, what about modifing you side pipe not unlike a 32 ford hot rod where it has removable caps on the headers to go drag racing.
Take the 32 hot rod concept and leave your pipes you have but reverse the concept, make your turn out tips stay, looks only , but behind the tips they actually turn in and down..in front of the rear tires...rerouted indoard under or behind the car.
Still looks stock but they are rerouted. Pretty simple fabricating, with a alittle or a lot of creativity.
Just a thought.
Daniel
Old 09-08-2010, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

went to the shop and looked closer at my sidepipes relevent to chassis and I think it can be done. I know it can. Matter of fact might look cool , a pair of pipes coming out the center under the diff.
I did this on my 1970 trans am, the car is way low on the ground for road racing so I built a low profile exhaust that goes under the rear axle tubes and out the back instead of over the axle or turn downs.
I built it out of 3-1/2" oval nascar pipe, only 2" tall and 4" wide, if you build yours out of 3" oval it's only about 1-1/2" tall. "S " that under your frame from each side then straight under your diff and follow your fuel tank angle and when your done, like my trans am, it looks cool. My TA pipes are about 16" apart the way I did it, but the Cobra I would make them right next to each other.
Just more thought, grey matter at work
Daniel
Old 09-09-2010, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Interesting topic here. I think you need to search up the part wherein the ccx with under cat exhaust would fit in. Sometimes this will be hard, but maybe when you see thru stuffs, you can find it somewhere.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 94' ccx33835, Shelby dark blue street style, 428PI, toploader.
Send a message via AIM to NKOTB Send a message via Yahoo to NKOTB
Not Ranked     

I have a 427 with undercar exhaust... I'll post pics. Cobra Restorers, in Kennesaw, GA did it for me...
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Neutral     

Wow that's a great way to slide them under there. I don't think I've seen a street exhaust with that much road clearance.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 94' ccx33835, Shelby dark blue street style, 428PI, toploader.
Not Ranked     

Thanks! FWIW, the mufflers are Smitty's, which per Jimmy @ CR are "Street" correct. It's possible to have a conversation, albeit at a slightly elevated level, while cruising. However, if I open it up, it still roars and blats like you'd imagine...
Old 09-22-2010, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hello nkotb, which exhaust manifolds are you using?
Old 09-22-2010, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Honestly, I don't know, I'm the 3rd owner... all I know is that it was built as an under car exhaust model, and they're ceramic coated... so they are not an example of a side exhaust headers that have been adapted for undercar. I can see if I have pics that shows what they look like... check back in the am.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

many thanks, any photos would help.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Here's a couple of header shots

Hope this helps...
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2011, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech Cobra Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     

Does anyone have pics of the pipes as they go up and over the wheel well?
Thanks Michael
is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' Patrick Henry.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael4yah View Post
Does anyone have pics of the pipes as they go up and over the wheel well?
Thanks Michael
Have yet to bring my car into the shop, but when I do the conversion I will post some photos.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Old 02-09-2011, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nick, Thanks. I have a photo of the back frame and rear wheel area on my iphoto I'll send you. (dont know why they wont upload, probably too big) There seems to be a lot of room between the rear frame upright and hub for the pipes to fit. It would be a nice mod to throw in with the floor mounted pedals. Any idea what the size of the pipe in the pic is?

Michael
is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' Patrick Henry.

Last edited by Michael4yah; 02-09-2011 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: Adding to.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On thing I've always wondered was if there were any problems with flow in this design? I'm sure we all know its not going to run as well as sidepipes but ya gotta wonder. Still all in all I think Im leaning to the street version instead of the SC. It can always be changed. Ive heard that having a cross over helps a lot. Not much room for that though.

Last edited by Michael4yah; 02-10-2011 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: addition
Old 02-27-2011, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 502 Chev
Not Ranked     

I built my 1982 Contemporary has up and over the wheel well and out the rear exhausts w/ 3" pipes at the collector through FlowMaster mufflers w/ heat shields out the rear with chrome tips. Sounds great and doesn't burn your calves or give you a headache. Bruce M