Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Body weight????

Does anyone know how much the cont. cobra body weighs? I thought about 300lbs, I am rigging a four corner block and tackle system to lift the body off by myself, and the simplist answer is over kill. However after alot of looking there is apparently not a lot of reasonably affordable choices of small block and tackles. I think I found what I need, just what to confirm about 300 lbs.
Thanks
Daniel
Old 04-17-2011, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Daniel,
I'm not assuming you lack experience at this, but a little advice shouldn't hurt anything. When I lifted the one-piece body off my Everett-Morrison car, I was concerned that the weak point would be where the two door openings are located. I was worried that the car might buckle there. So I ran two threaded rods (one on either side) from the firewall to the bulkhead behind the seats. I put large washers and nuts on both sides of the rods where they went through the fiberglass. I estimate my body weighed 300-400 pounds and I had no trouble lifting it with straps.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 04-17-2011, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tommy,
Thanks for the input and approx. weight. Contemporary in the day lifted the cars by the four fender well lips. I have done it this way many times with a cradle with four points ( padded flat hooks) and a chain hoist, and doors have zero change in opening and closing.
Draw back of a single point lift after the cradle is rocking, hence the desire to convert to four corner lift.
Thanks again
Daniel
Old 04-17-2011, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

you can use a single hoist, but with 4 leads on it---make sure the ceiling anchors are strong enuff--take up slack on the four corner leads and then hoist away with the single hoist

A 1000 # trailer winch works super and is easy to run the cables/pulleys
Old 04-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I think about 300 is a good guess. No issues with CCX body strength as the tunnel is the backbone and the cockpit is molded in place inside the body before removing from the mold. You won't find a stronger Cobra body.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Body weight

I made a lifting frame which braces front and rear of cockpit so no flexing. The frame consists of a heavy tube across between the windscreen side iron location holes, rear cross tube that bolts to the MG door lock dovetail mounting plates and then a large 3x3" rhs up the centre to connect the 2 tubes, welded a piece of flat steel on the top of centre tube with several holes to fit the D Shackle so I could get the balance right. All you need is a 2 pieces of flat on each cross tube that sit each side of the centre rhs and one 7/16 or 1/2 bolt.

I would take a pict but this website wont accept my <39kb .jegs for some reason.

The 1960's rocked!

Last edited by Ant; 04-18-2011 at 02:32 AM..
Old 04-18-2011, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech Cobra Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     

Daniel G.......Take a look at this company's answer, This is what Im going to buy, along with their rotisserie.

BODY LIFT Auto Restoration Tool Car Truck Rotisserie | eBay

Michael
is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' Patrick Henry.

Last edited by Michael4yah; 04-19-2011 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: Spelling