Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 12:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     
Default Age of Contemoprary kit

Hi All,

I've found what looks like an older build Contemporary Cobra that I'm looking at importing to Australia. The rules down here are pretty harsh for getting cars registered but there are some concessions if the car was built before 1989.

There isn't much history on this car, the guy who has it didn't even know what brand it was. It's running the torsion bar front end which I would think makes it an older car. I'm trying to get the chassis number so I can learn more of it's history. What years were the torsion bar chassis produced between?

Where is the chassis number usually located on these cars?

Cheers

Old 02-12-2012, 02:39 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
Hi All,

I've found what looks like an older build Contemporary Cobra that I'm looking at importing to Australia. The rules down here are pretty harsh for getting cars registered but there are some concessions if the car was built before 1989.

There isn't much history on this car, the guy who has it didn't even know what brand it was. It's running the torsion bar front end which I would think makes it an older car. I'm trying to get the chassis number so I can learn more of it's history. What years were the torsion bar chassis produced between?

Where is the chassis number usually located on these cars?

Cheers
Please tell me you did not buy it in PA? There is a long thread on this car here.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-12-2012, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm not sure which one you mean Bill.

Here's a link to the car I've been looking at. Hollywood Car Collection | 1967 Ford COBRA

Cheers

Old 02-12-2012, 04:46 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
I'm not sure which one you mean Bill.

Here's a link to the car I've been looking at. Hollywood Car Collection | 1967 Ford COBRA

Cheers
That is not the one, the one I am speaking of is an unfinished basket case.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-12-2012, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     

For one thing; if it's a 1962 casting 427 block. It's not a true side oiler according to all information I've seen. Real side oiler blocks were 1st mfg. in 1965 with the block casting #'s C5AE-D, C5AE-H. IN 1966 The block casting #'s were C6AE-B, C, & D. These were flat tappet blocks only. Later on Ford also made 3 different hydrallic side oiler blocks, with block casting #'s C8AE-A, B, & H. Not really quite up to snuff! according to most. Now there are other side oiler blocks out there, & good. Such as the industrial engine blocks with block #'s C5JE-D & C7JE-E. Or marine blocks with casting block #'s C6JE-B & C7JE-A. If you are serious about this car, I would srtongly suggest you hire a independent auto inspection co. to verify all aspects of what you are really looking at. They will give you the real low down. As there only intrest is cash, & there reputation! You might also look on this site; there are some top notch older/doucmented roadsters here. Best of luck in your search!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Hey Mike, I think if it has Jag rear and MII front it would be a Midstates. Unless they fitted Stang brakes to a Jag front end. The ratio of the rear is supposed to be 3.45 I think, probably a t(h)ypo. If it's a CCX with a frame stamping it will be behind the left front wheel on the 4" chassis rail towards the top. They are typically painted or powdercoated over and aren't easy to find. They also aren't on some cars. I have some pictures posted on here somewhere showing their location. If you can't find that let me know and I'll e-mail them.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Aussie Mike

Might be a car that can be sent down under. Looks like with torsion front and correct roll bar it may be on the cusp of 89. Contemporary cars were built from early 80's up to 97, generally speaking the correct roll bar indicates a later model. Would help to get CCX # which is on the frame, dealer should supply. Unfortunately the car may have lost its original paperwork thus making it hard to ship into your country. Nick, I don't thing that Midstates used those inner door pockets. I agree though if it is MII front probably not CCX.

I sent My CCX to AUS a few years ago, mine was documented as a 1982, registered 1985 thus making it legit. Craig at RCR might be able to help as he bought mine.

Look for:
Frame should have a build date or CCX#
Body # may be under the dash on the firewall, right side

Good luck!

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 02-12-2012 at 06:13 AM..
Old 02-12-2012, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Question

just out of curiosity, why would a 68 fe side oiler be any less desirable than say a 66?
Old 02-12-2012, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Question

anyone????????
Old 02-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Square cylinder walls vs circular cylinders, hydraulic vs solid. It gets into a myriad of differences.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     

If the pro's are right! 1.The hydraulic blocks don't rev as high/well or as long. They have proven not as durable, as the 65/66/67-FE 427(these blocks were considered bullitproof) flat tappet side oiler blocks 2. Metallurgy, the newer blocks didn't use higher nickel content material in there block design. 3. the service/hydraulic blocks did not have quite the same construction methods as the 65/66/67 blocks. At least according to my reading. But I'm no expert! But I'm glad I've got a 65

Last edited by Silversmith; 02-12-2012 at 03:56 PM..
Old 02-12-2012, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates 427 / ERA 289 USRRC
Not Ranked     

I don't think it's a midstates for several reasons. First, there were very few midstates that had jag IRS, most had solid rear axle (ford 9"). The trans tunnel looks too narrow to be a midstates. A midstates steering column will come out above the foot box. A contemporary's column will come out the side of the foot box. This car looks more like a contemporary to me.

Last edited by Mike_I; 02-12-2012 at 07:00 PM..
Old 02-12-2012, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had a crawl around under it to check out the chassis. Its definitely torsion bar front end and not mustang. I will try to upload some pics i took.

Cheers

Old 02-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looks like the ad is a little contradictory. What a surprise huh?
Old 02-13-2012, 10:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's a shot of the front suspension. Doesn't look like Mustang 2 to me.

I managed to get the camera in to take a pic of the side of the block. I couldn't find any casting numbers but the screw in freeze plugs and cross bolted main bearing caps are the clues here.

Still haven't had a response from the guy on the chassis number.

Cheers

Old 02-14-2012, 04:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yup classic CCX/Jag front IFS right down to the missing bolt on the front control arm mount. Keep getting pictures like that Mike and we'll have the real stroy in no time.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

With those ribs on the side of the block it looks like a replacement block from 1968 and on. Would also then be a Hydro block.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doesn't appear to be a real side oiler,as the add states! Most likely a service block made till early 80's. Make sure u keep rev's under 6K, if you decide to buy. I know this wasn't part of original thread, but the improper side oiler add statement caught me. Sry! You might take a look @ ERA #134/1987 mfg. just posted on CC for sale site. Nice ride & a stated center oiler. great blocks for draggin & street use!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversmith View Post
You might take a look @ ERA #134/1987 mfg. just posted on CC for sale site. Nice ride & a stated center oiler. great blocks for draggin & street use!
I had similar thoughts myself with regard to the above ERA.

Mike - for the record you'd be all clear from my end to have a go at that ERA.

When I floated this idea to my lovely wife, she quickly, but calmly, pointed a gun to my head, cocked the trigger, & then would you believe said " Go ahead... Make my day!"
I wasn't going to find out if she was bluffing

Disclaimer: The above story is loosely based on true events that actually happened. To believe them literally would be erroneous on your part, but the gist of it is certainly factual
Old 02-14-2012, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Roflol !!! Only down under!!! Hehe