Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CCX 3028
Not Ranked     
Default Converting from a 350 sbc to a Ford sbc

Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I have been looking for a Cobra for a while and found a Contemporary Cobra 427 built sometime in the late eighties. The price is reasonable (asking $20k) but it has a built 350 sbc. How difficult would it be to swap a 351W or a 427 into it? The car runs and handles great and is in good to excellent condition, except for some badly needed new tires. I'm wondering if the car would be worth converting to "powered by Ford"?

Thanks for any help/advice.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

IMHO, the increase in market value from going to a SBF will be about the same as the cost of going to a SBF. Only you can measure how much the change will mean to you each time you stop for gas and some stranger asks, "Has that got a 427 in it?" BTW, I've never had a stranger ask, "Has that got a Ford engine in it?"
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 05-30-2012, 05:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

IMHO, We drive these cars for fun. I don't think any of us expects them to be valued like an original.. well, not many of us. If you know everything about SBC and little or nothing about SBF leave it alone. The inverse is also true. It's your car. Make YOUR car. Of course if you decide to leave it with the SBC, you should get used to looking at the backside of lots of cars with Ford powerplants!

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 05-30-2012, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

If it runs with no problems, leave it.
I was at an "all makes" car show a few years ago. 500+ cars. A red cobra with silver stripes and a SBChebby engine won one of the big prizes. Tan interior, high back buckets double roll bar and to top it off, an automatic trans, sheesh.

I brought a midnight blue/no stripes NOS 427SO polished tunnel wedge Contemporary to the same show...................not even and honorable mention, hehehe !!

Most people have no idea what the heck they are looking at, so just enjoy it, if it blows up, put in a Ford engine.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Why not just keep looking for the exact car you want and buy that one?
Old 05-30-2012, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

To answer the question you will need to change the motor mount pads which Mickmate here on this forum can help you with. You will also have to alter the trans mount pad unless it has a toploader in it, but highly unlikely. The price is right so do what you want.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the feedback. I do like the sbc and have a lot of experience with them,but there is something about that 427 sitting in the engine compartment.
Thanks again!
Old 05-30-2012, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramsey View Post
......but there is something about that 427 sitting in the engine compartment.
Thanks again!
Yes, that's why it was called a 427 Cobra instead of a 350 Cobra. Here, let me help you:

Last edited by elmariachi; 05-30-2012 at 07:40 AM..
Old 05-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Well said!

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 05-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

If you want help with motor mounts for FE into CCX let me know. If you put a 360 truck engine in it they fit all the valve covers, expansion tank etc and can be dressed up to look like a 427. Motor mounts are relatively cheap and easy compared to exhaust sytems and other necessary parts. I think there are some 427 Ford valve covers or adapter plates and other parts available to put on the SBC to change the appearance. Whatever makes you happy. The most common question you'll get is "Does it have a 427?" they don't ask Chev or Ford. If its set up for Chebby a BBC will drop right into SBC mounts won't it? Some of the fastest Cobras on here are Chev powered.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

Do like I did, make a 450+ inch SBC... when they ask if it has a 427 you can tell them yes and 30 cubes more....

Last edited by Hotfingrs; 05-31-2012 at 09:17 AM..
Old 05-30-2012, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's what I'm talking about - elmariachi. Nice engine!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramsey View Post
That's what I'm talking about - elmariachi. Nice engine!
You think it looks nice? You should hear it passing you on I-35 at about 110mph !

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 05-30-2012, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

First find out if you can use the transmission or not, with a Ford engine. I expect not.

Then find out what you can sell the Chevy components that you will not re-use. Finally estimate what the replacement Ford components will cost you, plus the changing of mounts and any wiring. Do the math and see what it is going to cost you. Is it worth it to you?

If changing drive train was my intentions, I would have factored this in before making an offer.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Yes, that's why it was called a 427 Cobra instead of a 350 Cobra. Here, let me help you:

How about a 240 Cobra or a 260 Cobra or a 289 Cobra or a 390 cobra or a 428 Cobra or a 427 T.O or 427 S.O !!!! Just in the Ford world there were a lot of choices. But here we go again " IT IS NOT A REAL COBRA... IT IS A HOT ROD THAT HAS THE COBRA SHAPE" That being said, today with parts availability cost, performance and durability, Chevy is a better choice. But if you are a Ford guy go Blue Oval and enjoy the ride!!! Long live the BowTie COBRA
Old 05-31-2012, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor maine View Post
That being said, today with parts availability cost, performance and durability, Chevy is a better choice.
Nope, Ford is the better choice.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Tramsey, The $20K price sounds good for the described car. In today's market, you can also surely find a bunch of cars in the same price range so it would come down, for me , at least, to the condition of the car, how well made it is, the braking system and chassis components. Generally I like the quality of the CCs much better than FFRs but I have seen a lot of really nice FFRs. Buy it cheap, drive the snot out of it, enjoy showing your tail lights to a whole lotta cars with SBFs and have fun with all the money you have left over by not having to pay big bucks for similar power by Ford.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Nope, Ford is the better choice.
Is that your opinion or do you have facts that would support this??
Old 05-31-2012, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfingrs View Post
Is that your opinion or do you have facts that would support this??
Ugggghhhh. See post 15. My post 16 was a tongue-in-cheek response.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ugggghhhh. See post 15. My post 16 was a tongue-in-cheek response.
WOW!!! It warms my heart to see that somebody from the Ford only in Cobra crowd has a sense of humor.