Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mrmustang

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2022, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Turkey Pan

I decided to reinstall the turkey pan and did not use a spacer between the pan and the carburetor, after install I noticed that the secondary linkage rest on the bottom of the pan. Has anyone had this issue? Does the pan normally have to be modified? If a spacer is needed what thickness.
I'm using a 12" oval air cleaner with 1 1/2" tall K&N air filter with the Xtreme air filter top. I had K&N custom make the air filter which was only $10 more than their stock 2" tall filter. If a spacer is needed the air top wont fit.
Old 10-31-2022, 05:42 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

If you are removing the spacer (carb to intake spacer?) then yes, you may need to file a bit of material for the linkage to work without interference.

As for air cleaner/filter, how can you fit a 12" air filter into the turkey pan?

Finally, K&N does not need to custom make a filter for your setup, they offer most 12-14" filters in 1/4 and 1/2" height increments as a stock item...Now, finding someone who stocks it, or is willing to order it for you, is a whole other story.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 10-31-2022, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'll post pictures when it's completed. Also there is a YouTube video of the "Gumball Rally"
cobra at a car show and the video shows a 12" filter in the "turkey pan".

https://youtu.be/E-qPkepYZjk
Old 10-31-2022, 09:12 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by celentanogj View Post
I'll post pictures when it's completed. Also there is a YouTube video of the "Gumball Rally"
cobra at a car show and the video shows a 12" filter in the "turkey pan".

https://youtu.be/E-qPkepYZjk
Oblong, yes, it will fit.....round, it will not....However, both will rob your engine of HP to the tune of 30-40+ depending on your build and tune, and that at the rear wheels as proven in the early 2K's on a chassis dyno.

Bill S.

Bill S.
Blue66 likes this.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft - Roush S/B 427
Not Ranked     

Hi Bill,

For my own curiosity, is it the turkey pan itself, the filter setup or combination of the two which will rob the horsepower?

Thanks
Don

[quote=mrmustang;1511690]Oblong, yes, it will fit.....round, it will not....However, both will rob your engine of HP to the tune of 30-40+ depending on your build and tune, and that at the rear wheels as proven in the early 2K's on a chassis dyno.

Bill S.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:39 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojack70 View Post
Hi Bill,

For my own curiosity, is it the turkey pan itself, the filter setup or combination of the two which will rob the horsepower?

Thanks
Don
Don,

It's actually the restriction in filter size that causes the issues, you may not be able to install a large enough filter (see formula below) to get the proper airflow needed for the best performance. If you are racing, and spend 80% of your time over 130mph, a turkeypan works quite well when combined with proper sealing with the hood scoop, below that, it's just a nice show piece and nothing else. Personally, I got rid of the turkeypan and smaller airfilter assemblies a number of my Cobras. Replaced with a K&N 66-3040 unit. Both big and small displacement motors, in a number of my Cobras, including my current ERA-FIA.

I do suggest that before you spend any money, no matter which direction you ultimately choose to go, you need to see exactly what CFM worth of filter assembly you need to properly feed your engine.

Using the simple formula

A= effective filter area
CID=engine displacement
RPM=maximum RPM expected

Using the CFM formula of height X diameter x 6 x 3.14

Hope this post is helpful.

Bill S.

PS: The 14" extreme filter top flows 500cfm by itself, just saying.

Old 11-02-2022, 12:10 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Found a picture of the K&N filter installed on a 428CJ powered ERA (717) I owned 10 or so years ago.

Bill S.

Old 11-10-2022, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft - Roush S/B 427
Not Ranked     

Thanks, Bill for the insight. I love the vintage look of the turkey pan but it seems to cause more problems then it's worth. I'll stick with my oval K&N. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Don,

It's actually the restriction in filter size that causes the issues, you may not be able to install a large enough filter (see formula below) to get the proper airflow needed for the best performance. If you are racing, and spend 80% of your time over 130mph, a turkeypan works quite well when combined with proper sealing with the hood scoop, below that, it's just a nice show piece and nothing else. Personally, I got rid of the turkeypan and smaller airfilter assemblies a number of my Cobras. Replaced with a K&N 66-3040 unit. Both big and small displacement motors, in a number of my Cobras, including my current ERA-FIA.

I do suggest that before you spend any money, no matter which direction you ultimately choose to go, you need to see exactly what CFM worth of filter assembly you need to properly feed your engine.

Using the simple formula

A= effective filter area
CID=engine displacement
RPM=maximum RPM expected

Using the CFM formula of height X diameter x 6 x 3.14

Hope this post is helpful.

Bill S.

PS: The 14" extreme filter top flows 500cfm by itself, just saying.