Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     
Default Tanks

I just wanted to post the dimensions and some of the notes I made from Jeffs CCX gas tank. It is 20" long and 38.5" wide. The front is 7.5" deep and the rear is 4.5" deep. It loses some capacity from all the edges being radiused. It also loses some capacity by being slung under the rear frame rails by two straps under the tank. The filler neck is at the front towards the right side. This would suggest that it has either been modified or is not a 69 Camaro tank with a rear center fill neck. I believe this tank as well as being somewhat limited in capacity also doesn't like to fill beyond 3/4 full. The aluminum tank that Dave has in his and John posted pics of looks like a nice alternative. Any other comments or suggestions?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

I feel hurt. You have never climbed under my car!

I was crestfallen at Jeff's picnic, especially when he said you "were" going to trailer down with the car.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HI-TECH 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

The CCX tanks were Camero tanks with the inlet relocated.
The instructions didn't mention that because the tank is mounted at an angle, the tank could not be completely filled unless the top of the tank was vented back to the top of the filler neck. Common problem among the CCX community.

Last edited by Rick 427 Cobra; 10-11-2007 at 01:58 PM..
Old 10-11-2007, 03:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Warren I resemble that remark! I have layed under any Cobra I can including yours, I just didn't have my tape measure in hand ;-)
Rick that's good info thanks.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Nick,
My tank is out of the car and empty, measurements are exactly as you state. I'll have to take a good look at it and see if I can see anything that indicates that a center rear filler neck such as a Camaro had was removed and sealed off. It's going to be a busy winter. Pedal box, gas pedal, tank?..............
Old 10-19-2007, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: early Contemporary Cobra (1005), 67 Shelby GT350 with Inline carb on a Boss 302
Not Ranked     

I have designed and built a SS fuel tank that is modeled after the optional one that Contemporary offered. It is 19 gallons and has a vent at the high point so no fill issues. I have a sheet metal shop that will build them or can send drawings to Mickmate if interested in building. Friends don't let friends put Chevy gas tanks in their Contemporarys:-)
Old 10-20-2007, 05:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Shelboss I like your stance on parts suppliers. I'm interested in your dimensions and info on the tank and I can compare them to Daves car. You could e-mail me at streetcobra@adelphia.net or nick.acton@fciconnect.com
What gauge and grade stainless did you use? I've been using 18 Ga 304 and have two baffles in them as well as the top vent/rollover valve. Can you give us an idea what the sheetmetal guys would charge?
Thanks!
Old 10-22-2007, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: early Contemporary Cobra (1005), 67 Shelby GT350 with Inline carb on a Boss 302
Not Ranked     

I will send you some jpegs from the CAD files I have. The tank is .060" and weighs 35#, I originally designed it for .048" SS but the vendor wanted to use .060". My cost was $600 and I supplied the unique SS parts like the NPT bushings for inlet and vent and filler neck. I used a 5.0 Mustang GT vent valve and grommet and vent the highest part of the tank to the fuel filler neck. This is also Mustang GT so the pressurized cap fits under the Lemans cap and there is no danger of spilling gas in a roll-over. There is a nut plate welded inside for a Smiths fuel sender. The baffle in the center has an opening at the bottom and a spill-way on top. I had mounting ears welded on, but those can be deleted if using the factory straps to mount. It can be made wider for greater than 19 gallon capacity, I didn't do this because I am routing under-the-car exhaust and wanted the tank flush with the frame to give me room for tail pipes. Nick, I haven't seen your shop, but I would suggest you make and source all the unique parts and do the welding. My vendor Wrobel can laser cut and form pretty efficiently if you want to check them out.
Art
Old 10-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Art I can read the CAD files if it's easier to just send them like that. I have a few under car exhaust pics if you want any more. I have had the tank bodies and parts laser cut from my drawings previously but it depends a lot on the shape of the tank whether that's necessary or economic. Sounds like a good design that you've covered all the bases on.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gulf GT40 CAV137, Cobra ERA286
Not Ranked     

Guys,

Took this shot of my tank to give an idea as to the width.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Awesome Dave, great shot! It doesn't show the nice wheels and stance though.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gulf GT40 CAV137, Cobra ERA286
Not Ranked     

Thanks Nick.... Take a look at my gallery! A whole new look!
Old 10-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've been checking it out, I was chatting with Jeff a little earlier. You guys weren't wearing the same thing today were ya? I'm really liking the look you guys are going for and acheiving very nicely.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

CSX4905 Glass car...........

CSX3002 tank:

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 12-28-2008 at 07:49 AM..
Old 11-01-2007, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Early Contemporary 427SC w/ '66 427s.o. (car built in '79) by Snow White Rods (Fresno, CA); XKE Series II front/rear suspension (AMP lower A-arms/half shafts), CWI rebuilt IRS, 4-spd Toploader, PS Engineering knock-off rims.
Send a message via AIM to gjcomb Send a message via Skype™ to gjcomb
Not Ranked     

Shelboss;

I'd like to check out the JPEGS you have on the tank, since I am replacing replacing my original Camaro tank on an early Contemporary. Direct replacement including new straps?

Can you send to gcombes05@yahoo.com? Also, who are the contact names and ph. no.s for the sheet metal shop to fabricate the tank?

George
Old 11-02-2007, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi George, just sent you some pictures and contact info. Mickmate is also making a version without the rise in the middle and a little wider. I wanted to stay at the frame rail width for under-the -car exhaust.
Art
Old 11-04-2007, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Early Contemporary 427SC w/ '66 427s.o. (car built in '79) by Snow White Rods (Fresno, CA); XKE Series II front/rear suspension (AMP lower A-arms/half shafts), CWI rebuilt IRS, 4-spd Toploader, PS Engineering knock-off rims.
Send a message via AIM to gjcomb Send a message via Skype™ to gjcomb
Not Ranked     

Shelboss - did you send to my Yahoo! address? Geore
Old 11-05-2007, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes I did on Friday. I suspect the 3 jpegs were too big for your inbox to handle so I resent with just 1.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

I took out my differential and drive shafts last night. Tonight, after some preliminary clean up, I will post photos of my tank.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 11-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

OK.. here are four photos of the fuel cell in CCX 3209. The capacity is about 22 gallons.

I hope these help with the questions.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."