Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech Cobra Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     

Bob , Thanks, Can you email me @ Michael4yah@msn.com
is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' Patrick Henry.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Scott

Your # is CCX3-3081
Old 05-04-2009, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default COntemporary Serial Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb View Post
I have a question, my cobra doesnt have the ccx by the number its just stamped 3081 so can some one tell by that what year it was made ? I know it was licenced in 1985.
Thanks Scott
Hi! I have the same issue. I'm looking at one stamped only "Serial No. 3164" by "Contemporary Classic Motor Car Co. Inc. Mt Vernon NY", and would need some solid proof for the customs authorities on when it was actually built. Year model is 1965 and engine 427 Shelby. Without some sort of proof of the build year I cannot register it in my country.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Plse e-mail me at: jose.ruiz@nsn.com

Much obliged,

José.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseNikolai View Post
Hi! I have the same issue. I'm looking at one stamped only "Serial No. 3164" by "Contemporary Classic Motor Car Co. Inc. Mt Vernon NY", and would need some solid proof for the customs authorities on when it was actually built. Year model is 1965 and engine 427 Shelby. Without some sort of proof of the build year I cannot register it in my country.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Plse e-mail me at: jose.ruiz@nsn.com

Much obliged,

José.
Jose,
Just curious, what country are you in?
Old 05-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Jose, CCX 3209 was built in 1987. I would guess that yours was built in 1986. Don't know how to prove that beyond a doubt, though. Customs guys can be a difficult bunch.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 05-04-2009, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Brock Coupe
Not Ranked     

Fat Boy is correct.The CSX designation on the original Cobra serial numbers does not indicate Carrol Shelby Export. You can get the complete story from the SAAC register. Badger
Old 05-04-2009, 11:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch built 289 eclectic mix of fia/ussrc/early comp
Not Ranked     

COB: Cobra for UK market
COX: Cobra for export (excluding USA)
CSX: Carroll Shelby Export

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Fat Boy is correct.The CSX designation on the original Cobra serial numbers does not indicate Carrol Shelby Export. You can get the complete story from the SAAC register. Badger
Old 05-05-2009, 06:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Thanks OT

Guess that explains it.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgur_Tan View Post
COB: Cobra for UK market
COX: Cobra for export (excluding USA)
CSX: Carroll Shelby Export
Not quite right, I'm afraid. It's as follows:

CSX: C - third variant in AC Ace series; S - part of Shelby contract; and X - export to U.S.
COB: Cobra for U.K. market
COX: Cobra for export to continental Europe
Old 05-07-2009, 01:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
Jose,
Just curious, what country are you in?
Currently in Dubai with the Cobra, but moving back home to Spain soon. That's where I need the proof of the build date, mainly due to European emission restrictions, which came into force from 1987 on wards, i.e. if built after that, then won't pass the emission tests and is thus not possible to register without proper cats etc.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danr55 View Post
Jose, CCX 3209 was built in 1987. I would guess that yours was built in 1986. Don't know how to prove that beyond a doubt, though. Customs guys can be a difficult bunch.
Thanks, Dan!

This would be great, as long as the build year is before July 1987. How can I get some sort of documents for that, even some stats from a registry in the internet would be enough.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As for the body shape, look closely when comparing to a CSX3000. I believe the front fenders are wider and drawn downwards to accommodate a wider track of the front (torsionbar) Jag suspension.

I had 3-3080 here is South-Africa in 2002, which was meant to be the launch car in 1987(?). But locally built cars were only a third of a CCX, so none got sold.

Dom
Old 05-08-2009, 05:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dom,

The front fender turn down was correct, when I was parked next to CSX3035 and a couple other 60's cars I have witnessed the front fender was almost identical. As stated in numerous text these cars all were differnt as they were hand built. Therefore, I have also seen a sharper more 45 degree front fender of course along with FIA sharp.

As far as the track width? You may be right because CCX did take a few liberties in order to make things work.

Thanks Dom! Great input, I will make it a question for Peter bayer.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech Cobra Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     

When I bought the Contemporary Chassis the body was removed because the previous owner sideswiped a guard rail. The chassis survived but bent one wheel. By that time Contemporary was already out of business and the other bodies that he tried didn't fit well, so he gave up and built another kit. Now I think I understand the problem. This chassis has the torsion front end. Photos are in my gallery. I have another Cobra that I have to finish 1st so this ones on the back burner but I sure am glad I have found a forum thats talking about it. Any information is greatly appreciated.
is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' Patrick Henry.

Last edited by Michael4yah; 05-20-2009 at 09:21 AM..
Old 05-19-2009, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jeff, i would like to know about the compontents that were used for our cars. Where did all the jag suspension parts come from? Surely they weren't that many wrecked xke jags for parts. Who made them? Why did they pick xke suspension? Does peter still have his orginal cobra and does he have a contemporary still?. One of mine was a engine minus factory built car and my other owner built. How many factory minus cars as compared to kit type. I have some orginal promotional comparisons of contemporarys to shelbys if anyone would like a copy. They are probley plenty out there already. I met the guy who painted my factory car when i was in n.y. He worked for contemporary and knows a good bit about the company. I could get his name if you wanted to ask him any questions. This is great that peter is going to share his info with us,,,,,jim..."keep u'm hissing"
Old 05-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would love a copy!

I will ask if he has a CCX? CSX3045 has had two owners since he owned the car, maybe more?
I don't have a registry...

I will get on this project this week!
Old 05-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I will do some checking on the track as I have both breeds here right now. The other big visual I just noticed was the headers and side pipes on the CCX. They go forward around the (floor mounted on some) masters instead of up and over. Consequently the headers, hole through the side and side pipes are all lower than a CSX. The hole in the body is only 2/3 of the pipes depth and is actually open at the bottom.
I have a few safety concerns on these cars I will follow up Davids comments on in another thread.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary 482 all aluminum Tunnelport Self built and owned since 1980 frame#0000017 and owner of frame CCX 33961 looking for an FIA body to go with it
Not Ranked     

Jeff any more news from Peter?
Old 06-17-2009, 01:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

John's information made me curios.

Does any one know something about a company called"Auto Speed Motor Sports". Based on the information I found, they sold there molds to Contemporary. Which sounds for me, that there car's where produced before the Contemporary's.

I would like to refer on an interview were Peter provided the following information:
• Did you buy your 289 molds from "Auto Speed Motor Sports" – Only the outer body “Shell” came from Autospeed. We designed and produced the molds for the doors, hood and trunk lid as well as those for all of the inner panels/liners.

- Has anyone of you some information about Auto Speed Motor Sports and there car's?
- How much did they build?
- During which time period where they in business?
- Where did they sale there parts?
- and so on....

Last edited by ALF; 02-12-2013 at 12:48 AM..
Old 02-09-2010, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Motors, 351W, Richmond T-10 4 speed,
Not Ranked     

This is a great thread that should be kept alive for the retrieval of historic information. While seeking insurance one of the questions asked was number of units made and through this thread I found the answer.

My car is CCX 33852 and was built in 1995/6 by Maeco Motorsports in Northridge Ca.
My understanding is that they were a distributor, anybody have a listing of other distributors? Anybody got another build from Maeco?