Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default 767Jockey -- Build Thread Update?

Doug, you haven't posted any build updates in the last couple of weeks. Did you get that block issue resolved?
Old 05-25-2009, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Don't go there Pat

patrickt Bad subject right now with not a very quick and simple answer. Rick I talked to him last week about the problem.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
patrickt Bad subject right now with not a very quick and simple answer. Rick I talked to him last week about the problem.
Well, in that case I'll just politely shut the **** up....
Old 05-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Patrick,
I'm dead in the water now due to the block issue. Long story short, the block is useless even though it's brand new, the porosity issues are beyond any I have ever seen. The porosity was impossible to see before machining. Now all the cylinder walls have spots as large as 3/8" in each and every cylinder. I have documents calls for at least 15 calls to the manufacturer, whom I bought the block directly from. I have NEVER recieved a return call from him. I only speak to him on the increasingly rare occasion that he actually picks up his phone.

I have a $ 3600 bill for the useless block, and another $700 bill for the machining on it. The manufacturer says he will replace the block, and will "talk to his partner" about the machining costs. So far I have been unable to get him to ship me another block, even though he has told me on two seperate occasions that he "knows exactly whatt he problem is, there are a few of us out there with this problem", and he is as evasive as a 12 year old with his hand in the cookie jar with regard to the machining bill.

Again, long story short, I'm dead in the water. I'm trying to work with this guy, as working with him seems like a shorter route to a resolution than a legal battle. However, to be quite honest with you, I am rapidly runnning out of patience. Today I got him on the phone, he said he was going into the back room to check and see if he had a block in stock to send to me. I was told to call him back in 15 minutes. I called him back three times - at 15 minutes, 45 minutes and 2 hours after the original call. I left a message all three times, he didn't pick up the phone on any of the calls, even though he was supposed to be expecting my call. As usual I got no return call from him, either. Another day shot. This is VERY frustrating.

Last edited by 767Jockey; 05-26-2009 at 06:06 PM..
Old 05-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm very sorry to hear that. And I have also heard that your particular block caster has had some problems with their work. There are never "easy answers" when you get in a mess like this. Hopefully the fella you're dealing with will have the integrity to work with you to come up with a reasonable compromise to the situation.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I'm very sorry to hear that. And I have also heard that your particular block caster has had some problems with their work. There are never "easy answers" when you get in a mess like this. Hopefully the fella you're dealing with will have the integrity to work with you to come up with a reasonable compromise to the situation.
Patrick,
On the rare occasion I get him on the phone, he tends to say all the right things. Then he does NOTHING. As I said, it's VERY frustrating. The car sits in the garage, waiting for an engine. The driving season comes.......and likely goes.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I believe I would fly down, rent a SUV or minivan with enough space in the back for a block, and go make a house call. People talk big and tough on the phone and keyboard but my experience has shown that when someone owe's me something, showing up in person generally gets the point across quick.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I get free travel on my airline. The trick is finding this guy in his office. Believe me I have already decided that the trip will be made very soon. I am about fed up.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quick update - since the manufacturer told me yesterday "call me back in 15 minutes - I think I have a block in the back to send you and I want to go back and check" - I called him 3 times yesterday, 4 times today. I got no answer on either his business or cell phone. I left messages each time with the date and time I called and my return phone number. I have received no return calls either. Nothing.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
Quick update - since the manufacturer told me yesterday "call me back in 15 minutes - I think I have a block in the back to send you and I want to go back and check" - I called him 3 times yesterday, 4 times today. I got no answer on either his business or cell phone. I left messages each time with the date and time I called and my return phone number. I have received no return calls either. Nothing.
You have the patience of a saint. I think the time has come to show up at his doorstep with a truck suitable for transporting a block.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Why not reveal the offenders identity?
It could be most beneficial to forum members who either are in the process of dealing with him or contemplating it. It would certainly signal that a cautious approach is needed to conduct business there.
Who sent out such a pi$$-poor block-and worse yet-won't stand behind it?
Old 05-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
It could be most beneficial to forum members who either are in the process of dealing with him or contemplating it. It would certainly signal that a cautious approach is needed to conduct business there.
...and a little reminder from potential customers might make it worth his while to make good on your dilemma.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Chas,
I know, believe me I'd love to tell everyone right now who this is. However, my main goal is to simply get a darn block so I can get this project movong again. Right now, after speaking with attorney (My friend, who will represent me for free, he's a car nut too), the quickest way tp accomplish this is to try to work with this guy. So, for now I have to keep the public flogging of this guy like a bullet still in the gun. I'll fire that when needed.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
You have the patience of a saint. I think the time has come to show up at his doorstep with a truck suitable for transporting a block.
I have no choice, Patrick. To start a public war with this guy and a legal battle can take forever. I need to get this project moving. I never reach this guy on his business phone, always on his cell phone. I have to assume that he's never at his place of business. Going half way across the country only to find that he's not there is just a colassal waste of time. He's like sealing with a ghost. You never know if he will pick up the phone, you never know where he is. All I know for sure is that he has NEVER returned a call, and when I do reach him he always says the block is definitely bad and he will definitely replace it. If I could only get him to do what he says.......
Old 05-27-2009, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Chas,
I know, believe me I'd love to tell everyone right now who this is. However, my main goal is to simply get a darn block so I can get this project movong again. Right now, after speaking with attorney (My friend, who will represent me for free, he's a car nut too), the quickest way tp accomplish this is to try to work with this guy. So, for now I have to keep the public flogging of this guy like a bullet still in the gun. I'll fire that when needed.
Jockey,
I ask for this info not to castigate or apply pressure to the offender. He should NOT be tried in a court of public opinion here. I'm not just a nosy body either. I'm considering a short block as several others may be too and I really look for news of the quality suppliers (or NOT) all the time. Further, I agree with your efforts to 'work with him'. Fine too that you've got legal advice.
This is similar but much less aggravated than 'Mike 48's problem with John of JCF Cars in the Consumer Watch forum. He's at the mercy of an evasive builder and is reluctant to take strong action because he thinks it will be resolved-at the 7 year mark. At least he did identify the party involved.
Your problem was not brought up here by you-another member asked about the situation. If the offender is a sponsor here (not too many guys build 482's) his ID is probably not a thing that will have him slam the door in your face. If fact, he may already have . As ZO said, it may remind him that potential customers are watching.
But as a guy with 1254 posts in 4 years and has asked for build help with every single facet of the car, do you mean you won't provide info that might be relevant or of help to at least one other forum member?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chas, to clarify, this is NOT an engine builder that I am having the problem with. This is a manufactureer of engine blocks. I am sure that if this situation had happened to Keith Craft or Barry R, or some of the other big FE builders, this guy would supply an instant satisfactoty resolution to the problem. However, as a guy who is likely only going to buy this one block, he just doesn't give a damn about me. If you end up using one of his blocks through an engine builder as described above, you likely won't have a problem. Right now I am holding about $4200 in worthless crap. I need to do whatever I can to try to recover this. If that means delaying telling everyone publicly who this clown is, that's what I need to do. I am sorry if this upsets you. If you are going to go out right now to purchase a new block on your own, I would have no problem telling you privately who this guy is. PM me if that is the case and I'll fill you in.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

pretty sad to be held hostage by a fellow american.

i've ran into the same stuff working on my jbl. i couldn't say anything for fear of pissing the guy off but then there is nothing to do but sit and wait and keep making phone calls. this happened with more than one transaction, one well known vendor on the other cobra forum, like a "i shipped it yesterday" and then 2 wks later when it didn't show up and a phone call the "we can't find the part to ship", that was a good one.

seems to be the american way more and more from what i can tell, all in the name of money, or incompetence.

maybe they should have a "share your experience" category, that should keep everyone on their toes.

good luck.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Chas, to clarify, this is NOT an engine builder that I am having the problem with. This is a manufactureer of engine blocks. I am sure that if this situation had happened to Keith Craft or Barry R, or some of the other big FE builders, this guy would supply an instant satisfactoty resolution to the problem. However, as a guy who is likely only going to buy this one block, he just doesn't give a damn about me. If you end up using one of his blocks through an engine builder as described above, you likely won't have a problem. Right now I am holding about $4200 in worthless crap. I need to do whatever I can to try to recover this. If that means delaying telling everyone publicly who this clown is, that's what I need to do. I am sorry if this upsets you. If you are going to go out right now to purchase a new block on your own, I would have no problem telling you privately who this guy is. PM me if that is the case and I'll fill you in.
OK, that's only Pond, Genesis or Shelby. I agree about the quality builders being accommodated but that ignores the possibly 100 other serious individuals who build their own engines on here. (And FE Forum, Cobra Country, Ford Muscle, etc.) Word travels fast these days.
A block manufacturer would kill to sell 100 more blocks anytime. The good thing is that there are now three alternatives for FE's.
I guess unless we're buying from an established builder (not caster) we'll just remain seated until the situation is resolved.
I think I can figure out who your 'clown', as you put it, is but it may not help any others. Calling him names on a forum might be worse for your cause than stating his ID.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

ERA Chas,
You forgot to include Dove.

Hey, whatever happened with the Kirkham FE block project? Is it still on hold?
Old 05-28-2009, 06:49 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Another Gambit

Quote:
Calling him names on a forum might be worse for your cause than stating his ID.
I agree with ERA Chas. Doug, you might want to consider what we fondly refer to as the "send them the pleadings" gambit. Have your attorney draft up the pleadings that would initiate the suit against this guy, get the damages up as high as possible, and then have your attorney send him a copy of the pleadings, plus an affidavit from you, along with the demand that if the case is not resolved by him doing ________ by such and such a date that he has been directed to file suit in the Circuit Court for your local jurisdiction. The letter should state that this is the final communication that will be made prior to suit and that settlement will not be accepted after filing. In the letter, have him explain how your state's Longarm statute gives you jurisdiction to sue him there in your home town. He'll then have to face the cold reality of either: 1) Settling with you quickly, 2) Ignoring it and taking a default judgment; or 3) Hiring an out of state attorney (who will want his fee up front) to fight the case. Since he's doing business as a corporation, he can't represent himself (unless he's admitted to your state's bar, that is).