Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Contemporary Classic Forums

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE 427
Not Ranked     
Default New radiator

I'm going to replace my radiator. Does anyone have any suggestions about what brand and what type of radiator would work best? I'm in Chicago and none of the guys in the Windy City Cobra Club own a Contemporary so I'm turning to the guys who build and drive them for advice or even a part number. I'd like it to fit in the same spot as the original with no/very little modification.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff
CCX #3117
Contemporary Classic Cobra Owners Group Member
Windy City Cobra Club Member
Old 07-12-2009, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1981 CONTEMPORY COBRA, 351C
Not Ranked     
Default ccx radiator

howe racing supplied the radiator in my ccx in 1981, just bought a new one from them about 3 months ago, i had them leave all brackets and inlets and outlets off so i can mount it differently. the price was $200 plus shipping. all aluminum and the exact same as my orginal one. you can order it from summit racing HE-352 with no fill neck, cost a little more.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff.nel View Post
I'm going to replace my radiator. Does anyone have any suggestions about what brand and what type of radiator would work best? I'm in Chicago and none of the guys in the Windy City Cobra Club own a Contemporary so I'm turning to the guys who build and drive them for advice or even a part number. I'd like it to fit in the same spot as the original with no/very little modification.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Jeff,
Are you willing to do a little fabrication or do you want a pure bolt in? If you're willing to fabricate a bit look at Jeff Gagnon's Fluidyne install in his CCX. It's laid back at an angle like the originals and makes a HUGE difference in the look of the car. The Fluidyne is a great radiator as well - it's not just about the look. The job is a bit of work but not too bad. Jeff has all the plans and instructions as well that he can forward to you.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My fear with laying it back is the loss in efficiency. I'm already running over 200 cruising on the highway. The look is awesome, but at this point I'm more concerned with managing the heat. I invested too much $$$ in rebuilding the motor to burn it up.
Anyone else care to chime in????
CCX #3117
Old 07-13-2009, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Motor Car; 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Jeff: You are at 200+ degrees moving? Are you sure you engine bay fan is working? Did you check if thermostat on the fan is working? Are you running dual pusher fans up front? I have in FE in my Contemporary and was experiencing heat issues. I found a few things wrong. I replaced the blades on my pusher fans $30.00 from Cobra Restorer. I also replaced the expansion tank and found that the aluminum overflow tank mounted on the fender well had a frozen pressure cap so water was flowing to it from the expansion tank but had no where to go resulting in high pressure and extreme heat. I also replaced the caps on the expansion tank (12lbs) and overflow tank (7lbs).
Old 07-13-2009, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Radiator

Jeff, Call Griffin radiators. They are great to work with and will build you a radiator to fit and work for your application exactly. Visit their website. They are knowledgeable and professional. Check out their website but call them to get a quote.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff.nel View Post
My fear with laying it back is the loss in efficiency. I'm already running over 200 cruising on the highway. The look is awesome, but at this point I'm more concerned with managing the heat. I invested too much $$$ in rebuilding the motor to burn it up.
Anyone else care to chime in????
Does laying it back on an angle decrease efficiency? I've never heard that before.......
Besides, the Fluidyne Shelby Cobra replacement radiator is a huge, thick, efficient radiator, it's got MUCH more capacity and area, and a MUCH thicker core than the radiator that came out of my Contemporary.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I believe the radiators were laid back to get a large radiator in a small nose and also to make more effective use of airflow across angled fins for better heat transfer. The CCX radiator is a counterflow unit I believe if you have the factory one. That is it has a blank plate halfway down the tank and both radiator hoses on the same side. If you're specing a replacement it should be to your dimensions and horsepower of the motor. We had a couple of different Cobra radiators made by Performance Rod and Custom that are really nice. He makes me very humble about my aluminum welding.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

I use a three core Howe Racing. Living and running in Arizona in the summber time, a good radiator is essential. It's the second one I've used from them. My 428 runs at 175 on the hiway without a thermostadt. I've added a 187 thermo and it now runs about 190-195 all the time. I swear by Howe Radiators.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 07-15-2009, 12:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Tilting it back at 20 degree angle increases the fin exposure to incoming airflow and increases the efficiency. Thank you Carrol Smith

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 07-15-2009, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll get on the phone and see what the guys at the manufacturers have to say.

Jeff
CCX #3117
Old 07-15-2009, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
Tilting it back at 20 degree angle increases the fin exposure to incoming airflow and increases the efficiency. Thank you Carrol Smith

Tilting it backwards DECREASES the size of the hole the air needs to pass thru.
ANd if the nose isn't sealed,the MAJORITY of th air goes over the face of the radiator and in to the engine compartment.

Recently built two 70 Chargers.BOth 440 cars.Used Griffin rads in both.On a 90 degree day,on "break-in" temps never rose above 200 degrees.Quality product.Expect to pay around 5 bills.

Last edited by Cobrabill; 07-15-2009 at 04:25 PM..
Old 07-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Fluidyne works well........I have install directions too........Takes some time but it was worth it.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 07-16-2009 at 09:44 AM..
Old 07-15-2009, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jeff, are both inlet and outlet on the same side?
Old 07-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

No, top left and bottom right on Fluidyne.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

can someone post some photos of the lower hose and fittings. My water pump exits on the left hand side.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Mine does too, shoot me an email as my gallery is full and I can't add more pics. It is easy with a little bit of work. I went to Autozone and bought a bunch of hose then taylor made the lower line. It cost about $30 and it looks perfect.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I decided on a Griffen dual pass with two rows of 1 1/4" tubes. I'll update and let you know how it works out. Thanks for all the suggestions, as usual. You guys always give me great options and ideas.

Jeff
CCX #3117
Old 02-22-2017, 05:40 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Can anyone post the dimensions of the radiator that is working well.

I am putting together a classic roadsters kit (now Ultimate Classic Cars) that was abandoned years ago.

I want to get a radiator and slant it back as many of you have done. I also would love recommendations on a fan option.

I am running a 460ci big block.

Thanks

Aaron
Old 03-02-2017, 11:11 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe start your own thread about it so it gets more of a spotlight. I just stumbled on it cus i went thru this thread. Hope it works out for you mate!

Testa att spela på dagens sida om du vill ha alla de bästa sidorna i Sweden och härliga bonusar.

Last edited by accellereration; 09-05-2021 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: Spelling misstake