17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-25-2009, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Engine?

Hi guys. I've been on a lot of gm forums for a while, but this is my newest interest of hopefully getting a daytona coupe. I've been trying to find some useful info of people installing a ls1,2,3 in a coupe and not able to find much on the projects. Any help you guys can give me on this matter? I just don't want to do a coupe build if I can't use the perfectly good 600hp engine I have.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

The basic reason you don't want to install a non-Ford motor into a Cobra of any stripe is that you're going to knock one third to one half off any resale value. Look at past sales: nothing knocks off sales value like a Chevy engine. It's absolutely no knock on Chevy or any other maker, it's just that the market dislikes unusual engine and driveline choices (an automatic tranny is almost as big a price downer).

Don't build something as expensive and exotic as a Coupe and either try to save money or express a very contrary preference by fitting it with a non-Ford engine. Don't believe me? Go back to the GM forums and ask around about fitting a Ford 429 in a Vette.

You're also looking at a helluva lot of mods to the frame, mounts, exhaust, and probably cooling, intake, ignition and maybe even body. Bottom line, you'll spend a fortune in cash, sweat, blood and tears to build something that's a 50% loss, when you could much more easily build a desirable beast that sells for something close to what you put into it, when you decide to move to the next project.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =

Last edited by Gunner; 12-25-2009 at 03:32 PM..
Old 12-25-2009, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

You might have more interest in a Cheetah replica or maybe a Grand Sport replica. They would both be appropriate recepients.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

double ditto what Gunner posted

Dwight
Old 12-25-2009, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodz428 View Post
maybe a Grand Sport replica
A GS replica would be cool. Does anyone actually make one? I know ERA got shut down in the planning stages on theirs.

You know what I'd get in line for right now? A good Maserati Tipo 61 replica. I think someone had one - Dio? - but it did not seem to be for sale and the re-engineering under the skin was extensive.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 12-25-2009, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
A GS replica would be cool. Does anyone actually make one? I know ERA got shut down in the planning stages on theirs.
Superformance
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 12-26-2009, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

this thread will live for weeks.

i've never seen or read about a lsx engine in a coupe, maybe someone has done one in a roadster, can't remember for sure.

other forums to check would be the ffr, or ls1 forums, i think they have a section for hermaphrodites.

i was looking at one of the chevrolet forums and there was a guy putting a lsx engine in a mustang, and it didn't seem too difficult. would imagine yours would be similiar.

lsx has some of the best engine architecture out there, and lots of aftermarket support stuff. i'm redoing an engine now,if i didn't already have all the parts i would use the lsx. there is also information available in books on the preferred pans for this type of setup.

also, keep in mind you won't get much support around here, biggest reason as stated previously would be resale, but they are using older chevrolet architecture and not the lsx engines.

you can call the coupe anything you want so it doesn't matter what you put in it.

if i were to start a kit car company the lsx would be one of the options in a heartbeat.

also, lots of started kits out there that weren't finished, can be had for 50-75% on the dollar.

good luck.

check the ls1 forum, i think that is where the guy was putting the ls engine in the mustang.

Last edited by vector1; 12-26-2009 at 03:54 AM..
Old 12-26-2009, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Outside the box

justinast99 Justin putting an LS motor in anything is not a big deal. Motor mounts, trans setup, exhaust system are the hard parts.
Is this car going to be a street or track car??
LS motors are great. If you don't care about what others say, do what you want. A Ford mod motor will make the same power and fit in a coupe with a little work.
You could sell your motor and get a motor and trans from a salvage yard with computor to drop in the coupe.
The thing is, Guys like motors stay within there own. LS to vettes as FE to Cobras. I have seen hemi's and viper motors in cobras. They are just different until they smoke you.
My ERA was built out side the box with an FI system and Power steering. The car is purpose built.
You are paying for it and building it, do what makes you happy. You can allways change the drive train down the road. If you are going to build and sell it, you will take a MAJOR hit on getting your money back without a ford motor unless you add a couple of hair dryers or blower on top of the LS. Good luck with your build. Rick L.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique
Not Ranked     
Default Chevy

I started building and had a Chevy 427 avaible for use in the car. I made the mistake of letting myself get talked into using an FE motor, it has been nothing but a headache, I for one truly regret not sticking with my original plan. On the other hand I never intend to seel this car either and since this is the SECOND FE motor since the first one had so many issues if it fails there won't be another ford motor in my Cobra.

It belongs to you build what you want. Parts avaibility, performance and cost lean toward the GM. There is also an aftermarket company out there that makes a kit for the LS series engines that does away with the FI system and uses a manifold with a 4B carb, runs a Ford 302 dizzy and goes into the front of the engine with an outlet for a mechanical fuel pump if you want to use one.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ase/index.html
Old 12-26-2009, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

I put an LS7 and a T56 Magnum in my E-M this time around. No big deal... mock it up and fab the motor mounts and crossmember. I know a number of SPF/LS owners that cut the flanges off Windsor headers and welded on the LS flanges... port spacing is the same. I fabbed my own headers though.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottj View Post
I put an LS7 and a T56 Magnum in my E-M this time around. No big deal... mock it up and fab the motor mounts and crossmember. I know a number of SPF/LS owners that cut the flanges off Windsor headers and welded on the LS flanges... port spacing is the same. I fabbed my own headers though.

what is the difference in bolt spacing on each port?
Old 12-26-2009, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Windsors have a 2 inch bolt spacing---makes port a peanut shape--LS port bolt spacing is spread out more, requires cutting the ford flange off and changing to an LS pattern

Scott previously hade a first gen chev sb and had to make new headers

On my car I'm going the tri y route to shorten the tuned length

As you read all these posts about RESALE----try to find where the aluminum FE, the 427 small block, etc, etc fit in to the economy?????????Of corse some are more concerned with rivet/bolt spacing on there hood scoops and the way the safty wire is twisted on there knock offs

But, didn't Factory Five do a mid engine ls powered coupe?
Old 12-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

How about doing a Vette with a Ford engine? Now that would be different, and who cares what the Vette guys have to say about.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
what is the difference in bolt spacing on each port?
The LS7's 6 bolts per side are spaced 3.8" & 3.85" C to C They are not inline either.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default fordette

If ford made a better engine than Chevy there would be no problem putting a ford motor in a corvette.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Even WE the Mustang Ranch , are working with LS series motors these days. (building a turbocharged LS6 for a customer now.)

I can tell you the engineering in LSX land creates a wonderful pallet of parts that can fit just about any prescription. Since the LS series has been in Camaro/Firebird, Trucks, Corvettes, you have many avenues open.

I wish Ford hadn't "wiffle-balled" the 4.6 series, they are so hard to use in an alternate chassis compared to other manufacturers, IE the LSX series.

There are factory mounting kits from SPF to have a LS series in a Daytona Coupe, and whilst i have not seen one in person, I hear they are very neat. Unless you have religious problems, a LSX can be a worthy candidate for your project.

Subnote: Hey Ford -- get us some modern motors we can *use*.

(6/7L 2v-3v, with a 6 speed that fits into a 351 external form factor, not a 460 one.)

Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com

Last edited by PANAVIA; 12-26-2009 at 02:43 PM..
Old 12-26-2009, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegokid View Post
If ford made a better engine than Chevy there would be no problem putting a ford motor in a corvette.
......or why would anybody put an american engine in a british car anyway

this just keeps gettin better and better
Old 12-27-2009, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Yep

Yep, catching fish is easy around here. We will be building a car for my wife in short order so it will have a GM engine with a automatic to back it up. Hope to start it in late summer 2010.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Justin,
The standard reply about a chebbie or any other engine in Cobras to Coupes is it will cut the resale in half. This is spot on if you are selling it to a hard core Ford guy and we are a Ford/Cobra site so expect a few knocks and a little ribbing As it should be with all the pride and Type A personalities that build and own Cobras. With a zillion cars or Hot Rods in the world to own that shouts to the world this is my choice The Cobra is IT !!!! Many also own or have owned all the other choices out there but this is where we meet for Cobras so many are more Ford only.

That being said there are just as many hard core Chevy, Mopar or whatever builders and buyers. They don't want a mixture of body /engine cars, the price of being a true Hard Core.That still leaves groups like the Hot Rodders, Pro Street and more. In the end we all recognize, appreciate or just demand quality workmanship. There is a market for a Vette with a fire breathing FE or a MG with an early hemi and even a Cobra with a big block chebbie. If you are building for yourself and your own desires who gives a rats ass. If you have built a Cobra with an Automatic or a Chevy it is not worth half the price as others but the number of folks willing to pay a high price are half as much. Know your market.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default LS in a coupe

Bryan here from B&B we can put a chevy engine our coupe not a big deal we will custom make the mounts and the exhaust, ck out our info at www.bandbroadster.com and let me Know If you have any questions.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: