Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Rodney - Post some pictures of your toys when you get a chance. I always liked the Tiger...I think I got hooked after watching "Get Smart".

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 02-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Doug, I sold the Tiger a couple months back. I posted a terrible picture of my Vette on page 4 of this thread:

Most Beautiful Muscle Car

I've owned it since '83. It now has a 540 BBC with a Tremec. It dyno'ed at 646 HP, but the Corvette is heavier than the Cobra by about 1,000 lbs. It's also registered and being pre-'75, there's no smog. Unlike other "almost" cars that I own.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#2279 Alum.Shelby 484ci
Not Ranked     

Jerry. I have owned 5 Corvettes. Two years ago I was looking for a Cobra or other toy. My wife said "Why don't you just buy a normal car like a new Corvette." I bought a 07 Corvette. After a year of modifications including a supercharger it is not normal anymore. I have been thru the N.C.R.S. thing with my '67 getting Top Flights and the Duntov awards and Bloomington gold. At that point it was just taking up garage space only coming out for shows. So I sold it and replaced it with a Superformance Cobra with a alum. Shelby 427 with 484ci. What a blast to drive. The 07 C0rvette with 585rwhp is faster but the Cobra scares the sh#* out of you every time you drive it. I do miss the '67 but I can't have more than 3 toys at the same time. No room.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-12-2008, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Motor Car; 427 S/O
Not Ranked     
Default Old Corvette vs New Cobra

I owned my '65 Corvette roadster for 40 years 327/365. No frills car, radio delete, no P/S or P/B's. factory off the road exhaust and a 4-speed. If it could only talk.!!! I missed my chance in early '68 to buy a '67 real, dual quad 427 Cobra. I never forgot how the Cobra jumped when you dumped the clutch and the fun I had driving it even for a short while. The Corvette was a great car to drive and I enjoyed taking care of it for many years. Do I regret selling it 2 years ago... and purchasing my Contemporary Cobra built in '89......Hard to say! The answer appears when I light up that big block Cobra.....The Corvette then becomes a mere memory.....
Old 02-12-2008, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I currently have two vettes, a 69 Coupe and a 01 Convertible and I just bought a backdraft cobra. No sense of letting it go down in the stock market. I can tell you if you drive a Cobra like most people drive Cobras, you will break the old corvette if you drive it like that. The power to weight ratio on the Cobra is amazing. Having both, I would definately take the Cobra over the old corvette.

Revman
Old 02-14-2008, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, FE BBF
Not Ranked     
Smile Corvette or Cobra - Why not both?

Best bet is to own one of each. I think that the C2 Corvette and the Cobra have got to be the two most desirable street drivable cars ever. I've currently got a 1963 Corvette and I'm bulding a Cobra Roadster. Some picutures of each are attached.

Here's the Covette:

And here's some shots of the Cobra which is work in progress:

Old 02-14-2008, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR # 165 392 Ford Crate 430HP
Not Ranked     

Those are 2 nice cars and that engine is super nice, actually both engines are super nice
Old 02-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None Yet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckscurr View Post
Ok how about this side of the story a new C6 Z-51 about same $$ as mid level Cobra Replica or the Z06 for about 20/k more??
PS this will be a Phoenix,Arizona car/"Toy"?????????
chuck
Great question. I've always wanted a Cobra but in recent years have owned a couple of Corvette Z06s--a 2004 C5 and a 2008 C6. I simply found it easier and less risky to acquire new Corvettes than to find just the right Cobra to my tastes. I bought both Corvettes at deep discounts, which made them hard to resist. Still have the C5 Z06, though it is up for sale.

I would replace the C5 Z06 with a Cobra if I found the right one, no question. (Which is why I read these boards.)

I'm keeping the 2008 C6 Z06 for sure, though. It's the other end of the spectrum from the Cobra in terms of refinement--a complement to a Cobra rather than a substitute. The C5 Z06 is arguably closer to the Cobra in rawness.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Have a C2, love it. Easy driving, rides real nice, handles just fine, stops OK, top goes up/down quick, easy to work on - no problems. Both cars are classics. I would not be able to get rid of either.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MIII, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

I've owned a 1970 'vette with a 350 and 4spd, other then engine internals (436 RWHP), it was bone stock. The 'vette was more (yes) fun to drive everyday (I had both a hardtop and soft top)...because you could and I did. However, nothing approaches the pure excitement for 10 seconds of WOT in a cobra. Sold the vette and miss it often, would I sell the cobra for the vette...maybe when I'm old and grey and need door locks again.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Only Hal Copple could take a thread title like this one, and turn it into a love story. The Cobra always wins !!!
Old 02-20-2008, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminVirginia View Post
Great question. I've always wanted a Cobra but in recent years have owned a couple of Corvette Z06s--a 2004 C5 and a 2008 C6. I simply found it easier and less risky to acquire new Corvettes than to find just the right Cobra to my tastes. I bought both Corvettes at deep discounts, which made them hard to resist. Still have the C5 Z06, though it is up for sale.

I would replace the C5 Z06 with a Cobra if I found the right one, no question. (Which is why I read these boards.)

I'm keeping the 2008 C6 Z06 for sure, though. It's the other end of the spectrum from the Cobra in terms of refinement--a complement to a Cobra rather than a substitute. The C5 Z06 is arguably closer to the Cobra in rawness.
A C5 Z06 Corvette may be "closer" in rawness to a Cobra than a C6 Z06 Corvette. However, a Cobra and a modern-day Corvette (including the C5) are miles apart in terms of rawness. There's really not much comparison--they are dramatically different cars.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Nothing I have ever owned can compare to a well sorted out Cobra
Best statement about one of these fire breathers.

Amen to that clink

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 02-20-2008, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

My neighbor refers to my Cobra as being "rude, crude and socially unacceptible". I think that this a pretty accurate discription of the car and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Dick
Old 02-20-2008, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Having been a used car dealer my whole life I have had the opportunity to drive many and most exciting cars out there. None have ever had what the Cobra has... its hard to actually put your finger on exactly what it is..but as said above a well sorted out Cobra is hard to beat!!