1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-23-2006, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3850, 95 Cobra 5.0 EFI, IRS, Pin Drive 15" real Magnesium Halibrands & Vintage Wheels, Billboards & Mickey Thompson S/T tires, Blue/Wht Stripes, Hoops, CSX Dash, Konis, VPMs, Torsen
Not Ranked     
Smile FFR Coupe at Bonneville Salt Flats

Saturday August 12, 2006 I went to the Bonneville Salt Flats for "Speed Week" events. Farra Snook of SOFAST RACING, Albany, Oregon brought this coupe from Oregon:

He ran thru "tech inspection" Monday and a few items need to be changed (not serious stuff), then went back to Oregon to finish the car for a run at a record in either late Sept. or early October. He will campaign two cars; one a blown 347 stroker 5.0, and the other a blown 370W.

Here is the front:

It has a "Spec Racer Style" chin spoiler.
There will be a scoop over the EFI intake.

He had a nice display setup; passing out FFR DVD's, etc. Lots of visitors. FFR is a part sponsor of his effort to set a "World's Fasted Cobra on the Salt" record.

The "Competition Cobra" 24x36 picture was found at "Deck the Walls" in Sandy, UT.

The poster explained a lot to people unfamiliar with this car.

Farra and I at the starting line.
The big "zero" is like the big "1" at the one mile mark, "2" at the two mile mark, etc.

Weather was perfect, no wind, etc.
Over 500 cars competing; over 5000 people there. This is really a big-time event with cars and people from all over the USA and foreign, too. I did not see the Indian Motorcycle form New Zealand, though.

Coupe setup:
- 2 different coupes one blue w silver stripes
- One Silver w Blue stripes
- One 347 stroker alum block w blower
- One 370W alum block w blower
- 2.73:1 rear axle
- 3-Link
- Tremec 5 speed
- Designing for 250 MPH at 7000 rpm in 4th
- Side exhaust will be big flow, body shaped "muffler".
- Rear window is solid sheet metal.
- Extra roll bar reinforcement and frame stiffening added
- VPM anti-sway bars front and rear
- Belly pans
- Goodyear 300 mph tires
- Both coupes are to be street legal; lights and all.

Myself and a few others plan to "pit crew" when he returns to the salt.

Go Farra!
Old 08-23-2006, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3850, 95 Cobra 5.0 EFI, IRS, Pin Drive 15" real Magnesium Halibrands & Vintage Wheels, Billboards & Mickey Thompson S/T tires, Blue/Wht Stripes, Hoops, CSX Dash, Konis, VPMs, Torsen
Not Ranked     

PS

At Bonneville last week Farra said a new Mustang went 210 mph, setting a new class record. He said it was stock except the blower was replaced witha "whipple charger" a "replacement part' allowed under the rules. Most likely a new GT500. It had the 300 mph Goodyear tires.

Can you believe that speed??
Old 08-24-2006, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This thread seems to disappear and can only be found through subscription.

Admin, is there an issue?

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I found it.
Saw Farra there and chated a bit, it's going to be a fun project.

Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Last edited by dynoroom; 08-24-2006 at 09:40 AM..
Old 08-24-2006, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Michael LeFevers

How did you find this thread?
It does not seem to appear in the "Coupe Talk" area, even though started there.

Will you be back to Bonneville for the finals?

Larry
Old 08-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Charter Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: My Shell Valley Coupe is here! Now the building begins....
Not Ranked     
Default $100K my coupe is faster.......

Anybody know where I can rent a C130 to drop it out of?

Farra is one of the most talented builders here in the wet west, and one of the nicest gentlemen you will ever meet. By far the best FFR's I have seen built have been by him.

Thanks for the post Larry!

Scott S
Old 11-09-2006, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 4859GT Spyder GT 414W EFI
Send a message via Yahoo to stengun
Not Ranked     

Howdy Larry,

Nice pics and thanks for the info.

Paul

P.S. Dang, I haven't been on here in almost 2 years!
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)
Old 11-11-2006, 03:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Indian Motorcycle from NZ

Larry,

Interesting you mentioned not seeing the Indian Motorcycle from NZ!!

Here is a little story,

Bert Munro, who went to Bonneville 9 times and did just over 200mph with his quote me if I am wrong, 1920 modified Indian, well I actually pushed his bike when he visited the speed trials just out of Ashburton many years ago, after his Bonneville exploits, and we thought what a bedraggled old man in khaki overalls and a 1962 PAX Vauxhall, this I guess supeseded the EIP Vauxhall in the movie, we didn't know much about him and thought at the time he was a pain in the ass for needing a push with his Indian, well I have shaken his hand, and I actually watched the movie about 2 weeks ago! The speeds (if memory serves me right) for the first year, was 148mph, and the second year 172mph, both without streamline fairing.
This all makes sense now because at the time and I think its still applicable I am a V8 hybrid fanatic and was at the trial to watch the V8's, so a 2 cylinder Indian didnt really have the roar, but if I was down at the business end of the speed trial or at Bonneville I am sure I would love the sound of the Indian in full flight!!!!!!!

Further to that my original partner when I started motor racing, Jim Morris, built the replica motorcycle for the movie, he worked for John Britain motorcycles, the people given the task, and they had to try and make a replica from photos etc, not sure if the original bike is still alive!

The Cobra coupe looks great, I guess they are a bit more slippery than a GT40!!

The 1960's rocked!

Last edited by Ant; 11-11-2006 at 03:38 AM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: