April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

Please keep the fair name of Morgan out of this......
Old 01-15-2009, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex CSX3327, & AK7113 AutoKraft AC MK IV
Not Ranked     

not bailed out money...just they bailed
Old 01-15-2009, 07:09 AM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

My sources told me that only 7 remained in Aust as one was quietly exported by the Sultan of Brunei for his collection, later shipped to Jakarta for Suharto's son, Tommy to used on the weekends but crashed and destroyed beyond recognition. The chassis numbers were stamped in the frame but were cut out and were intended to be used in one of the continuation models, but the body buck looked more like a Viper clone.......in the end the project was dropped. I do have access to the chassis bits and will part with them for a price.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBo View Post
I have it on good authority that these "aussie" coupes were actually built under a lisence from SC (or is it CS) in Malta with the subassemblies being done in South Africa. Components were sourced from China and Korea, labor was forced from old EU nations. Cars bodies are reputed to be not aluminum...but rather made from "unobtainium" with a pinch of strongium for rigidity. Frames are done in the true Morgan fashion, but laminated.
The Korean connection was needed in order to use the name 'Daewootona Coupe'
Old 01-15-2009, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Several
Not Ranked     

Some years ago Angliss retired to the AusZel area, rather quietly. i had always presumed the several large shipments were his household effects and perhaps a few of the rather remarkable historic motorcycles he had retained from the failure of AC when Price Waterhouse were named the receivers.

i do seem to recall several unusally braced 289 chassis during one of many visits to AC in the very early nineties, though i may be mistaken. Subsequently, i did arrange the completion and sale of the last 289 on the original 289 chassis (verified in the AC Registration Log), but cannot recall for sure if it had the braced transmission tunnel in the build, because it was the "jig chassis". That chassis was used for many years as the test device for verifying that the construction jig had remained true to the original dimensions during various builds, until BA agreed to sell it to us. (This, despite the fact that the bodies were not at all equal from side to side and then some.)

i did think it odd at the time that he would finally sell his test chassis. i should have asked if he had made any spare chassis. At the time, there was not the interest that exists today in continuation or completion series from AC, and Shelby had completely abandoned the Cobra brand forever (and rather happily at that, according to him at the time). It was still possible to have BA build you whatever you wanted, in whichever flavor, which we did frequently; so who would have bothered with extra chassis at the time? i certainly didn't. Unfortunately.

Given that he is in the general area, i would still be surprised if he would be associated with some sort of re-start or continuation. Someone local might want to review any "AC" registrations in the area as a start.

Perhaps there has been some sort of rapproachement between him and Mr. L regarding the use of the AC name, at least in the local area. L likely needs plenty of fresh with which to attract more pigeons.

For that matter, CS is certainly interested so far in arranging for more continuations of his own lines, given the CSX 1000's, 4000's, 5000's, 6000's, 7000's and perhaps more in the queue. CS just might be interested in a line of Daytonas, particularly if they were AC "sourced" in some reasonable fashion, but this is just a guess about something of which i have no real knowledge. While i am confident that CS would not participate in anything that would be a mis-representation, given his current success and "old histories", a reasonable arrangement would probably at least be considered.

CS was involved with a re-body program of original 289 street cars, which were modified into Daytonas, retaining their original CSX 2XXX serial numbers and registrations. This was at a time that 289's were relatively cheap at something under 100K USD at the time. Most folks kept their roadster equipment. i cannot recall how many were re-bodied, but perhaps others here can recall better.

i would think some sort of similar arrangement (with newer chassis) would command a significant historical interest as well as a practical race car source under the newer FIA historical-type documentation, rather than having to be the actual historical car from the original dates.

If anyone in the NewAus area does locate any 289 chassis from any genuine continuation series, several of us certainly would like to participate. But, perhaps the whole thing might not happen that way. A more logical series might go to individuals with big bucks on a onesey-twosey basis, rather than a big publicity splash.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington

Last edited by What'saCobra?; 01-15-2009 at 09:34 AM..
Old 01-15-2009, 09:18 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Besides these newly discovered "assuie" coupes and the secret 7th Pete Brock owned coupe that we found about on 4/1/2008, you do realize that there are 20 some CS authorized continuation coupes with serial numbers like CSX26xx. Most of these continuation coupes are from McCluskey, with the exception of one, which is an "assuie" coupe.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

BA in NZ with AC chassis! OMG!!

I think we should be told......
Old 01-15-2009, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Add the French coupe

A few years ago there was mention on forums of
a French vintage racing team that had a genuine AC Cobra 289 roadster rebodied as a coupe. They painted it in '65 livery, dark blue with the fat white stripes and it is allowed to race in vintage racing as a '65 Cobra.
I would presume that was either bodied at McCluskeys or bodied in Europe.

Later there was a rumor that a famous Grand Prix driver bought it. Was it Schumacher? He could afford to buy it with the change in his pocket.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, i do recall that the Lubinsky/Jim Price/Gabriel Diaz "partnership" (i don't know the exact nature and documentation of their business titles) of the early 2000's did result in at least one new "FIA" style AC Cobra, serial numbered COX 2610 (if i recall correctly) being sold in the USA, after considerable delay due to tepid interest and significant price reductions from the original offer. It was blue and nicely built and painted.

i had considerable discussions with Diaz in the summer of 2003, who was a rather nice chap trying to eke out a result from his considerable investment in the enterprise. He was very proud of his relationship with Mr. Price and just simply loved the cars. i don't think he has done very well on that partnership subsequently, as he has dropped off the radar screen completely.

i don't recall a similar "Pride" in his other partner, who represented AC in its various "forms" at the time.

If he reads this, i wish Gabriel would drop me a note about his health, etc... He is a member of CC, but perhaps the moderator might prefer to reveal that identification. Computerworks has commented on this car previously on an extensive thread in 7.15.2004.

Here is a copy of the advertisement for the car, as presented to me at the time:
------------------
AC 289 FIA For Sale
A Brand New AC 289 FIA
This car was one of the last ones produced by AC CARS in Frimley, UK
It was manufactured on the original chassis jigs as well as on the wooden body forming bucks from the 60ī
Hundreds of man hours were required to hand craft the aluminium bodywork and interior

Specifications:
Built to the specification of the 1960īwhich enabled the car to compete in the FIA race series
Original 3 inch diameter ladderframe chassis
Race specification handcrafted body with cut back doors, with rear flares and scooped bonnet
Modified boot contour (to allow FIA toolbox)
Alloy brake calipers CR front, ORA rear
Brake cooling scoops
Differential Ratio:3.77:1
Transverse leaf sprung suspension
Koni schock absorbers
37 gallon twin fuel tanks with Monza cap
Anti-roll bars front and rear
Forward braced driverīs rollover bar
Quick lift jacking brackets
Bucket racing seat
2 piece tonneau
Four point racing harness
Unique dash with Stewart Warner instruments
16 inch original woodrim steering wheel
Oil cooler
Peg drive wheels 6 1/2" x 15 " Front, 8 1/2" x 15 rear
Car ready for installation of a 289 engine with top loader gearbox and propshaft
Complete rolling chassis
More pictures at www.webgate.cl/ac289
The car is in the State of Virginia.[i]
-----------------

Given the experience, i don't think many of those cars were completed, but at least one was finished as a roller, for sure. Gabriel has stated above that it was completed at Frimley, not Brooklands. And the builder was certainly NOT AC Cars Limited, but would have been AC Cars Group, Limited. i will attach a pix of the interior. Others have also appeared on CC at some point, also, but not posted by me.

At one point, that car was also on wooden plywood wheels, would you believe? They were used for shipping to the USA, as the partnership could not get proper-fitting wheels in the UK, where the car was fabricated. Wheels were found here or the others were machined sufficiently to clear either the steering knuckle or the caliper, i cannot recall which.

Were other 26XX cars actually built at that time or subsequently? Or are those current SAI/CS/RM products? Frimley didn't last very long and they had little cash (or credit) with which to build cars for the "partnership" which formed AC Cars USA, Inc. or whatever it was called otherwise.
Attached Images

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington
Old 01-15-2009, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Is Willment coupe counted as the 7th car?

The Willment coupe was
built by Sir John Willment's team
when they were refused the opp. to buy a new Daytona
coupe from Shelby. It supposedly had a fastback window and first
but now has a fastback profile but inset rear window (similar to Pantera).
I have seen it at various Shelby gatherings. I gather it was as fast as a Daytona coupe built by Shelby. When Author Frank Barrett was researching a book on the cars in the Shelby Collection he printed this rough draft of the Willment coupes' original racing career:

Race record (draft)

Sept. 4 Snetterton Three-Hours Jack Sears #2 1st overall
Oct. 21 Kyalami Nine-Hours, S.A. Jack Sears/Bob Olthoff #8 5th overall (flat tire)
Nov ? McNeille, Rhodesia Bob Olthoff 20 2nd oa, 1st GT

Jan East London, S.A. Bob Olthoff 1st
Jan Killarney, S.A. Bob Olthoff 1st
returned to England
May 1 Tourist Trophy, Oulton Park Frank Gardner #23
7th overall, in first heat, 11th in second (10th overall, lap record)
July 4 Rheims 12 Hour (night) Frank Gardner #25 DNF (engine)
Aug. 5 Brands Hatch, Guards Trophy Jack Sears #101 1st
?? Silverstone Frank Gardner #38 ?result
Aug. 29 Tourist Trophy, Goodwood Bob Olthoff #24 5th overall??

9/17 Oulton Park Brian Muir #57 5th
Old 01-15-2009, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Legate View Post
BA in NZ with AC chassis! OMG!!

I think we should be told......
No way, he is obviously doin quite nicely without your help wouldnt want an opportunity like this to be shipped back to the USA .

Think about it though, look up the current exchange rate on the Kiwi $$$, & then remember all the Kiwi's that worked on the originals, might be the best deal ever on coupes & its about time we had a ride on the merry go round!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

TL
i don't know that he is actually in NZ at the moment, but he is in the area from time to time, i believe.
Nor, do i know if he has any AC cars, but i am hoping to learn about this latest set of possibilities.
George Washington
Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Speaking of coupes, any update on fate of Ghia Cobra coupe>

http://www.secondstrike.com/Coupe/OtherCoupes.htm

It's picture here. The red car front 3/4 view.
Savonuzzi designed Ghia built body, called Supersonic. Used
on four cars, maybe some Fiat 8Vs.
Supposedly built on racing 427 Cobra chassis. I first heard it was a smashed car so they grabbed the alloy body as a ready made solution but later heard that it was never crashed, but simply supplied bodyless. Anyhow Sir John Willment died so I don't know if we will ever get the story. What used car lot is the car at now--it seems to resurface every few years?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Oy vey - the Willment Ghia is alive and well and in very rude health in the warm UK-based garage of a caring owner who has done a considerably amount of work to actually sort it once and for all, complete with a 427-style interior (not the rather naff quilted effort of the 1970s). It's a Cobra in the sense it was built on the chassis of CSX3055.

And you cannot bestow knighthoods on folk when they are dead, only when they are alive, as in the case of Sir John Whitmore - Mr. J. Willment would of course have been proud.

Whazza

COX2601 alive and well & living in Florida (last I heard). They also finished COB1001, owned and rallied by Adrian Hamilton, sold to Austria. A couple of other FIA bodies were made as rollers. Please turn to pages 207 - 208 of my 40 Years book for visual proof. I still think that the market will go mad when the Aussie Coupes hit the auction houses, as they inevitably will. Am in close direct contact with someone who may just be able to supply a rare photo of one when it broke cover recently.....
Old 01-15-2009, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     

Anyone ever found any more data on the FE powered coupe that is mentioned in the 'Wyss' book. Not the Type 65 & not the Shelby car finished with the alloy 390 by Ohlsen in Italy- but the one that was being built in the UK at around the came time or shortly after & IIRC the article stated ' one day there might actually be a second FE powered coupe ' or words to that effect.. The way the text read it was not the Williment car in the article of post #33.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ludovic Carron is (was) the owner of this car. It was on display at the 2008 Le Mans classic event. He did also the Tour De France auto finished third.

the roadster donor chassis was COX 6002.

he also races in vintage racing with the cobra beside it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historybuff View Post
A few years ago there was mention on forums of
a French vintage racing team that had a genuine AC Cobra 289 roadster rebodied as a coupe. They painted it in '65 livery, dark blue with the fat white stripes and it is allowed to race in vintage racing as a '65 Cobra.
I would presume that was either bodied at McCluskeys or bodied in Europe.

Later there was a rumor that a famous Grand Prix driver bought it. Was it Schumacher? He could afford to buy it with the change in his pocket.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Cobra Serial #1425, 2007 SHELBY MUSTANG GT500, 2000 Cobra R #15
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Personally, I would opt for the Kirkham Coupe.
When will that be available?