14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2001, 08:14 AM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars (sold)
Not Ranked     
Exclamation 2002 DSCC Meeting - April 12th - 14th

Please click on the following links for the latest information on this event...

Agenda & Fees Information
Please click HERE.

Hotel Information
Please click HERE.

Registration List
Please click HERE.

Last edited by excelguru; 02-18-2002 at 05:12 AM..
Old 08-15-2001, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

If you want to delete the other post you will have to email Brent Mills. I'm glad we finally have a date and I hope Southern Auto knows since he is having us over to see all those Ford engines.

Dan
Old 08-15-2001, 09:55 AM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Bill and Susan at Southern Auto definitely know about the date change. I was on the phone with them this morning to verify the date change before I posted it.

Keith
Old 08-15-2001, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates S/C, Ford 460
Not Ranked     
Talking Show and Shine catagories

Keith, I'm ready to go! Thanks for helping to
set this up. I would like to suggest that you
might want to consider expanding your Show &
Shine catagories. We have at least 2 Shelby
Tigers, and a couple of Cobra Mustangs in the
DSCC that I know of. (I wouldn't want anyone to
feel left out.) Cheerio....
Old 08-15-2001, 10:13 AM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile Re: Show and Shine catagories

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Smith
...We have at least 2 Shelby Tigers, and a couple of Cobra Mustangs... I wouldn't want anyone to feel left out....
Joe - That's a good point. Indeed nobody should feel left out. Thanks for bringning it to my attention. Perhaps a third "Open Class" would be in order.

Everyone - Our ears are open, folks. Let's hear all your rants, raves, and comments...

Keith
Old 08-15-2001, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up 2002 Meeting

I would like to see our annual meeting cover all 3 days. Lets make it worthwhile to come from any of the eight states to enjoy a full weekend of Cobras. It seams as though Saturday is well covered. I would like to see most come early on Friday and stay over Sunday night. We need a Restaurant or Motel with a large meeting area. Friday we need to be able to get together and meet and introduce our selves to each other, so we can put faces with the names we read here. The only feasible race track event I think would be going to a drag strip, but also consider a rain date. With the road tracks you have to rent the track and come up with all kinds of moneys for insurance, plus I’m sorry but you will find that most of our members are not interested in any type of track time. I think the cruise you will find to be the most popular. At this time we have no idea how big this event will be, but it would be nice if where you find the right Motel, that if we run out of rooms there would be another next door. Actually, after you find this Motel with the great price reduction, because we are telling them we are going to fill their Motel up, you will find later anyone could get the same price if not better. But, by all being in the same location, getting together in the evenings will be a great part of our weekend. Now that we have the actual dates lets get the word out and plan this thing right. We need to have Lee put it in our web site and also the other forum.

Dan
Old 08-15-2001, 05:31 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 2681K, 302 w/goodies
Not Ranked     

Dan, you think I'm sleeping (or sanding) or something? There is already a current link on our website. As the agenda firms up, I will create a page dedicated to the event.
Old 08-15-2001, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

sounds great.

Any Catagories for best water color paint? DIY paint or just cheep paint job
Old 08-15-2001, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lee,
You must of really hurt your ankle badly thats the fastest I ever got you to move on our web site, I'm glad you have the new corrected date.
Ruble,
If the weather doesn't change to cooler they better like primer as the paint job.

Dan
Old 08-19-2001, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC, Ford 464 C.I.D. 535 H.P.
Not Ranked     

Bill Parham took Trudy and myself on a nice 60 mile drive over the Poker Run Course before we left. It's a real neat course through the Georgia countryside, around a lake, over rivers and right by some very beautiful homes/horse ranches. We stopped at a country black cafe and ate some delicious country food followed by home made deep dish Georgia peach cobbler! I gained another 5 pounds Rick! But it was ohh so good.

I spoke with the folks at the Local Holiday Inn and we can have our rooms there and our annual meeting. The banquet manager gave me their menus to look over. I told them a block of 35 rooms was in order, but we can add some closer to meet time if needed.
They have a restaurant open for all three meals. We can go to another place for Friday, but, not knowing how many will be there by dinner, it might be well to just eat at Holiday Inn. Saturday will be a buffet with food of our choice.

Jerry
Old 08-20-2001, 10:35 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 2681K, 302 w/goodies
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Looks like the arrangements are coming along very well. When will we have the hotel location and rates confirmed? I would like to list the info on our website and link to the reservations site for the hotel. Plus, I want to reserve my room before they run out!!
Old 08-20-2001, 01:37 PM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This idea was emailed to me by Chip Bearing (Chip - I don't know your CC handle... is it just "Chip"?), so I wanted to post it for all to read and comment on...

Quote:
Had an idea for the 2002 DSCC spring meet: Went to a car show Sat PM. There is a very nice dyno shop in Marietta. They will do 3 runs for $60 and then print out a graph of HP/Torque vs. RPM's with a picture of the car above. A guy at the show had his numbers framed. Very classy place and presentation. This would give us a "safe" motor event. Could even have a competition for small blocks, med blocks, & big blocks.

Also a 1/8 mile drag strip in Dallas, GA, NW of Atlanta, and another strip near Monroe, GA. This is nearer to Southern Automotive and they have "grudge racing" events. What do you think? - Chip
Chip,

I'm assuming that the dyno shop has a portable dyno, right? I like the dyno idea. This could be fun, if the neighbors don't complain about hearing a bunch of Cobras running at full throttle for most of the day (hey, it doesn't bother me. ) I tend to agree with what Jerry said last Monday... most of these folks would probably prefer to cruise rather than race their cars (even on a strip). But I will certainly keep this open for discussion. - Keith

Everyone,

Well guys? Whaddya think about these ideas? Please give me your opinions and any additional ideas that you might have. Like CobraDan said earlier, we want enough ideas to fill up all three days.

Keith

P.S. - For those who don't know, Marietta is about an hour North of Bill's shop. Straight through Atlanta. That's why it's imperative that it be a portable dyno.

Last edited by excelguru; 08-20-2001 at 01:39 PM..
Old 08-20-2001, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I met Chip and Mary when they were visiting here in the Fort Myers area. They had a portable dyno in Ohio at Spring Fling and the guy never had time to take a lunch. What ever we do I'll be there, Hell I have to meet up with my buddie Lee. I think I have to bring him some sandpaper or some thing.

Dan
Old 08-20-2001, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default DSCC SPRING GATHERING

Guys,

It seems great how all of the ideas for next Spring are coming about. I for one, am looking forward to attending with my Fia, and having the opportunity to put the names with the faces as well. As with Dan, I too would like to see two to three days of meeting and activities. To echo, arriving from six states begs as much time as is reasonable. After reading some of the attendance figures from other regional "get togethers", I have a feeling that folks and cars would be coming out of the wood work. Especially, with such advance planning. My vote is for the "poker run" and the "show and shine". Judging from how prolific in pen and song so many of you guys, or should I say "us guys" are, it will probably take two straight days just for each of us to get a word in edgewise. Right Keith? I just moved into a glass house. Please throw nerf stones only!

Regards'

FIAFRED
Old 08-20-2001, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Keith, I like the dyno idea. The drags would be good if we could do it either Friday night or Sunday at 1/8 mile. I just checked my Vette today with the Gtech at 103.7 in 14.59. My new motor in the Cobra does a 0-60 in 4.37 seconds with a shift to second since I can only go to 5000 revs right now. It should break under 4 seconds when I can do it in first gear (60=5500rpm).

Dinner Friday, Show & Shine Sat. morning, catered lunch + open house at Southern, a poker rally over 60 miles of georgia countryside followed by dinner meeting at the hotel Sat night.
About the only thing left is Sunday, right? We could do the dyno Saturday also.
Jerry
Old 08-20-2001, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default DSCC AGENDA

Jerry, Keith, et al,

This schedule of events sounds like a winner!! Did someone say that Bill and Susan could put us all up? What do you mean I'm a "trouble maker"?!

Fred

Last edited by FIAFRED; 08-20-2001 at 07:26 PM..
Old 08-21-2001, 05:58 AM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Jerry,

FOUR POINT THREE SEVEN SECONDS!!!!???? And that's WITH the rev limiter!!!!???? Do me a favor. Make sure my wife does NOT find out about this. That's the same engine setup that I'm (eventually) planning to use. I'd say that's a pretty serious performance increase above what you measured the other day with me riding shotgun. 4.37 seconds... geez...

I'm gonna give Chip a call today and see if he knows the name/number of that dyno shop. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

Fred,

I got your email about your Unique. Fantastic news! I'm really looking forward to seeing it. Yea, it should be interesting getting all of us guys together. What will be more interesting is all of our wives getting together to swap stories about us.

Everyone,

I just thought of something here. Southern Automotive and the Cobra hobby will obviously be getting a lot of publicity from the spring event (and rightfully so for both), but we should also help to publicize the Club Cobra website during the event. If it were not for this site, all of this would be much more difficult if not impossible. I'm just throwing this idea out for comments, but I think that we should all try to purchase and wear Club Cobra shirts, hats, etc. during each day of the event. This will get the site's logo and name into the local newspaper for all of the Atlanta Journal & Constitution's readers to see (and that's like, at least 30 people) and also into the minds of the walk-ons that attend the event. What do you guys think?

For information on ordering Club Cobra T-shirts, logos, and such, please visit this thread.

Keith

Last edited by excelguru; 08-21-2001 at 06:10 AM..
Old 08-21-2001, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Keith, that's with a slow shift to second gear! When I can rev above 5000 I will reach 60 in first at 5500prm! I expect to break the 4 second barrier then at about 3.7 0-60 time. BTW, the best time we had with the old engine was 4.98 0-60.

Jerry
Old 08-22-2001, 12:52 PM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question

OPEN FOR DISCUSSION - Portable Chassis Dyno

Every year, the folks at the NOPI Nationals (held in Atlanta) provide a chassis dyno for some added excitement and competition. I contacted the gentleman at NOPI and discovered that the dyno is rented from a performance shop in Virginia.

I just got off the phone with the guy in Virginia who owns the dyno. The cost for the rental would be $1200 to $1500 per day (depending on the exact mileage from his shop to the event). He said that he can usually test about 30 cars per day (40 cars at most). This is based on a 10-hour day which may or may not be feasible for our event. This is also based on providing a "baseline" run (no tuning or data acquisition). Usually each car gets 2 or 3 runs before being removed for the next car.

Based on these numbers, if 30 owners tested their cars, the cost would be $40 to $50 per car.

I can acquire more exact costs if the interest is high enough to warrant it. You guys let me know what you think. It is now open for discussion. I'm still searching for a portable dyno that's closer than Virginia.

Perhaps I should also investigate the local noise ordinances.

Keith
Old 08-22-2001, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The guys back in Ohio were going to get the dyno man for a whole day for about $1,000. With 10 guys they could spend all day trying to get the best out of their engine for $100 a piece. There has to be a local dyno in a town the size of Atlanta. This is one of the reasons I wanted to start now because it takes time to work out each problem. Lets work on a Hotel site so I don't have to stay in my tent. Of course it might be nice if we had a place to camp close by if someone wanted to bring their tent. We are only 8 months away from DSCC II, keep on pushing.

Dan