Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Deep South Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/deep-south-cobra-club/)
-   -   DSCC Gainesville Test Track, Jan. 18th, 2003 - Here we go again! (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/deep-south-cobra-club/19372-dscc-gainesville-test-track-jan-18th-2003-here-we-go-again.html)

Joe Smith 08-12-2002 12:43 PM

DSCC Gainesville Test Track, Jan. 18th, 2003 - Here we go again!

O.K. Gang, the DSCC has blocked the Gainesville Raceway Test Track for
another high speed event. We'll have the track from 8am-5pm on Saturday
Jan. 18th. Cost should be about 100.00 per driver with a limit of 24 cars.

view the track: www.jerryrowley.com/gainesville.html

We will run 2 cars on the track, one released at each halfway point for
safety. You will get PLENTY of high speed seat time on the smoothest,
safest, track in Florida. Here is your chance to wring out your machine
in complete safety, driving as fast OR as slow as YOU feel comfortable.
No barriers, no walls, just 1.6 miles of pristine road course with smooth
grass overruns. Ask anyone who has attended...it's a blast.

What you need to do:

1. Send your 50.00 check asap, made out to: DSCC
to: DSCC 3668 Misty Woods Circle, Pace, FL 32571
First come, first served. (Cobras and former drivers will have priority)

(You must pay a deposit in advance .
We can't RSVP the track without your deposits, so send 'em in
asap.)

2. Make your reservation at the Gainesville Hampton Inn
DSCC rate is 69.00 and includes breakfast. Code "DS1".
(We've reserved 14 Dbl. Queens and 4 Kings.)

Tech, payment, and driver's brief will occur at the Hampton
on Friday night, Jan. 17th at 9pm. You MUST attend this
meeting if you want to drive. NO EXCEPTIONS.

The Hampton Inn: (352)-371-4171 highway I-75, old exit 75,
4225 S.W. 40th Boulevard, Gainesville, FL 32608
email: Hampton@gator.net

3. Prep your car. PLEASE read the track safety list at

www.jerryrowley.com/dscc.htm

Please make sure your car meets the checklist,
we want you to be safe AND have fun!

We will meet for dinner at the Hampton on Friday, the 17th
around 6:30pm. Caravan to supper, then return for the driver's
meeting at 9pm for tech, waivers, and balance of your payment.

Saturday breakfast at the Hampton at 7am. Leave for the track
at 7:30am sharp. Start running at 8am until about 4:30 and out
by 5pm. We'll all meet for supper in Gainesville that evening TBA.

Please continue to check this thread for further details.

Please also note that Jim Pomroy will be running this event as I
am unable to attend.

Questions: Contact Jim Pomroy at: gatorac@tampabay.rr.com

Joe Smith 08-12-2002 12:49 PM

Help needed

I will need someone to help me cone the track on Friday afternoon
Jan. 17th. We should meet at the Hampton around 1pm. (If you own a
pick-up or van that would be helpful as I will be driving my Cobra up to
Gainesville.)
We will also need a couple of people to assist Ruble with waivers and
payment on Friday night after supper.

Thanks in advance! Joe Smith, Central FL DSCC

Engineer Ed 08-12-2002 01:12 PM

I'll be there.
If I can get there soon enough, I'll assist with setting up the track.
I'll take off work early and try to be there by 1:30.

Shall I start the Enginner Ed, Jim Pomroy, Dino Booth grudge match? :D

My check is in the mail!
See you there.

Ed
FFR1997K

Joe Smith 08-12-2002 01:29 PM

Thanks, Ed!

Thanks. Grudge match? Heck, we have 6 months....the kettle ought to
BOILING by January!

Gatorac 08-12-2002 02:57 PM

Dang, January? Who knows what I'll be driving in January.http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies...kit/ponder.gifhttp://216.40.241.68/cwm/cwm/cwm27.gif

jerry rowley 08-13-2002 01:43 AM

Hey, if Dino is coming I want to tech his D#@$ car myself. I'm tired of waiting for the track to be cleaned up after he does his ONE LAP WATER DROP!

Joe, I think I will revise the tech list to include a special check on Water Pumps and Pulleys, what do you think?

HEY DINO, you better get in here and DEFEND yourself and tell us how FAST your one lapwill be? Ha, ha, ha, NOW who's laughing?

http://www.jerryrowley.com/images/jercob10.jpg

Engineer Ed 08-13-2002 04:40 AM

Jim,
It's the only date that wont conflict with Christmas and the Roundup.
Dont worry, we are working on an event for the Roundup that should interest you!

Think of it this way...
At least you have lots of time before January to practice....:D

Ed
FFR1997K

cooley hobdy 08-13-2002 08:02 PM

Joe, I've been waiting forever to come play with you guys, please save me a spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey don't leave without me!!

Thanks,

Cooley (South Ga.)

CobraDan 08-14-2002 06:06 AM

Joe,
I'm sorry you didn't get to run this past everyone that was at the Cobra Bash. Our members will have to get an email to send them our link to Club Cobra and this post. Is there any way to have spectators at this or any of the future Gainesville events? I can see the limit to only having 24 people on the track, but we have a lot of people that at this point that are only enthusiasts or would like to veiw but not race. I go to a circle track in Port Charlotte on Saturday all the time. I think you said if we were part of the pit crew this could happen. I will bring some duck tape for Deane's car, and I could also bring a 5 gallon can of Diesel fuel, what do you think?
Dan:confused:

aumoore 08-17-2002 09:16 PM

Dan
Like the Cobra is now known as a "roadster" all spectators are known as "pit crew or track marshalls". This means to look you must actually do some work. The track cannot allow spectators or this violates the insurance but if you are participating in some way you are not just a spectator. The more "pit crew" people the better we can police the track and make it safer and more enjoyable for everyone. You can bring your cobra and watch but you must do a little work.

If everyone would braing a mop this time we can clean up Dino's anitfreeze slick faster. ;)

CobraDan 08-18-2002 04:52 AM

Ruble,
I don't know if I can make it becuse I'm leaving on vacation on September 3rd. and then I'll be in Lutz in November. I just thought that this would help anyone who might be interested to pit crew and watch. How about if the pit crew brings along a BIG bag of oil dry.
Dan

Joe Smith 08-20-2002 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jerry rowley
Hey, if Dino is coming I want to tech his D#@$ car myself. I'm tired of waiting for the track to be cleaned up after he does his ONE LAP WATER DROP!

Joe, I think I will revise the tech list to include a special check on Water Pumps and Pulleys, what do you think?

HEY DINO, you better get in here and DEFEND yourself and tell us how FAST your one lapwill be? Ha, ha, ha, NOW who's laughing?

http://www.jerryrowley.com/images/jercob10.jpg

Jerry, you're welcome to tech Dino's car....he actually passed tech last time.
I'm betting he has his problems solved for the January event.

Joe

Joe Smith 08-20-2002 07:05 AM

Well......

Quote:

Originally posted by cooley hobdy
Joe, I've been waiting forever to come play with you guys, please save me a spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey don't leave without me!!

Thanks,

Cooley (South Ga.)

Cooley, we love ya...but we love your deposit check even MORE.
Drop that 50 skin check in the mail and Ruble will guarantee you
a spot.

See you in January, Joe

Joe Smith 08-20-2002 07:09 AM

The suspense is killing me....

Quote:

Originally posted by Gatorac
Dang, January? Who knows what I'll be driving in January.http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies...kit/ponder.gifhttp://216.40.241.68/cwm/cwm/cwm27.gif

Jim, I know we can count on you and Lorrie to show, but WHAT will you be
driving? A Mustang? Another Vette? A supercharged Yugo?

Whatever "it" is, I'm sure "it" will boogie!

Joe Smith 08-20-2002 07:13 AM

Mr. President.....

Quote:

Originally posted by CobraDan
Ruble,
I don't know if I can make it becuse I'm leaving on vacation on September 3rd. and then I'll be in Lutz in November. I just thought that this would help anyone who might be interested to pit crew and watch. How about if the pit crew brings along a BIG bag of oil dry.
Dan

I drove 6 hours in my Cobra to attend YOUR bash. We've asked you to
every Gainesville event we've had......this is number 4. Please try to
attend. Heck, as president of the DSCC, it's almost your patriotic DUTY!

I can promise you a good time, even if you don't want to drive on the
track......

CobraDan 08-20-2002 07:38 AM

Joe,
If it took you 6 hours one way, you came the wrong way to my house. Besides the list above I'm thinking of going back to the Turkey Run in Nov. at Daytona Speedway(I might get to see my buddies Jerry and Mike). I never saw over 5,000 cars in one location before. I still have to rub my legs dailey trying to get some feeling back into them after walking all over viewing the cars. I'm glad I found a non rainy day in the rainy season to have my Cobra Bash. I want to thank you and everyone that made it to my house because without guests it would have not been anything at all. You better stop picking on me until I see you at our 3rd. annual meeting, come rain or shine.:LOL: Ask Jerry I can be brutal. :LOL:
Dan

Joe Smith 08-20-2002 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CobraDan
Joe,
If it took you 6 hours one way, you came the wrong way to my house. Besides the list above I'm thinking of going back to the Turkey Run in Nov. at Daytona Speedway(I might get to see my buddies Jerry and Mike). I never saw over 5,000 cars in one location before. I still have to rub my legs dailey trying to get some feeling back into them after walking all over viewing the cars. I'm glad I found a non rainy day in the rainy season to have my Cobra Bash. I want to thank you and everyone that made it to my house because without guests it would have not been anything at all. You better stop picking on me until I see you at our 3rd. annual meeting, come rain or shine.:LOL: Ask Jerry I can be brutal. :LOL:
Dan

Dan, I'm not "picking" on you. I merely asked you to attend the Gainesville
track event. Ease up. By the way, everyone I've talked to said my not
attending the last "Cobra Swim" was one of my smarter moves. Driving
8 hours in an open roadster and standing around in the rain for 2 days
is not my personal idea of fun. (Some of us actually read weather forecasts.)

CobraDan 08-20-2002 03:28 PM

Joe,
That's one of the reasons I bought a trailer. I'm actively working on having a Cobra gathering at one of the theme parks in Florida, in case of rain. Rain Rain go away so we can all attend. We actually had a good time in the rain, but the woman get bored when us gear heads are couped up to only talk cars. I want to make our gathers a family affair so we can all enjoy. If it rains for our next gathering throw the whole family into the Honda and come on down.
Dan

Tommy 08-21-2002 05:06 AM

Count me in. This will be my first time doing anything like this, so I'm counting on you pros to show me how to do it safely.

Joe Smith 08-21-2002 09:00 AM

Glad to have you with us, Tommy!

This is as safe a track event as you'll find anywhere.
However, it IS quite addictive.

Don't forget to get your deposit in the mail and rsvp your room.